No Spoilers Official GOD OF WAR: RAGNARÖK Discussion

Interview with Cory Barlog and Eric Williams

I was expecting 3 games in this setting but yeah, if it’s taking 5 years to get a game out I’d rather them focus on a new project as opposed to waiting til 2027 to wrap up the story.

I was expecting 3 games in this setting but yeah, if it’s taking 5 years to get a game out I’d rather them focus on a new project as opposed to waiting til 2027 to wrap up the story.

I think everyone, myself included, expected Thor would be the main antagonist in the 2nd game, and then obviously Odin would be the one for the 3rd and final game. Shame it has to be condensed but as long as it doesn't affect the overall quality of Ragnarok's story i'm fine with it.

I watched it live last night. Pretty good interview. The host has done some really fun theory videos which is why the team decided to join him. One question I would have wanted answered is how linear the game is compared to GOW 18. Same, more freedom, less freedom?

I think everyone, myself included, expected Thor would be the main antagonist in the 2nd game, and then obviously Odin would be the one for the 3rd and final game. Shame it has to be condensed but as long as it doesn't affect the overall quality of Ragnarok's story i'm fine with it.

I think one way around this, now that we know gods can traverse through different pantheons, is that Odin will start to make a move into the other pantheons to warn that Kratos is coming. He will team up with Egypt, maybe the Aztecs or other gods pushing them on the offensive. Plenty of evidence to suggest Kratos is on a path of destruction even if those aren't his motivations.

Kind of sad to see how divisive things can get.
When I saw Angrboda I just thought, "I wonder what's her story," primarily because she's just shown at the end; as some have mused a segue to the Egyptian universe. I don't care what race she is, I care if she'll be a meaningful and sensible fit in the story. It's entirely possible that she's just a token black character. If she is, I think it's disrespectful, to everyone, because it's just pandering without actually helping or stating anything. But it's equally possible that she's in there to set up the next game, like some people have suggested. Or it's possible that she's just there-- no agenda, just a character. And if she's a good character there's no reason to be upset. I want the game to be good. The how's, I leave up to the creators.

I feel the same way about Thor. I actually think the design is equal parts hilarious and foreboding. If they just turn it into a device of "fat man bad," then yeah, I'd say it sucks. But given how masterful they've been with the games I don't see that as a realistic fear- and it's the same with Angrboda-- I don't care so much about the design itself as I do about how the design works. Fine. You got a fat dude. You got a black character. I care about what you do with them.

Even though it's rare, truncating projects has on occasion actually enhanced the product.

Majora's Mask had areas cut due to time constraints. As a result many of the puzzles, quests and mechanics didn't get cut, but put into less "space." This lead to what I consider to be a much leaner, yet more muscular game than it would have been. Also the three days till the end of the world mechanism was also spawned due to time constraints. Majora's Mask in my opinion is in the top three Zelda games of all time. It's definitely possible that GoW, in similar fashion, incorporates both of their intended stories in lesser clock time. If they can cram all the good stuff into one game it will be a joyful ride

Even though it's rare, truncating projects has on occasion actually enhanced the product.

Majora's Mask had areas cut due to time constraints. As a result many of the puzzles, quests and mechanics didn't get cut, but put into less "space." This lead to what I consider to be a much leaner, yet more muscular game than it would have been. Also the three days till the end of the world mechanism was also spawned due to time constraints. Majora's Mask in my opinion is in the top three Zelda games of all time. It's definitely possible that GoW, in similar fashion, incorporates both of their intended stories in lesser clock time. If they can cram all the good stuff into one game it will be a joyful ride

Is the project actually being truncated or was the plan to make two games?

I think editing is integral to the creative process. Hemingway said he could judge the quality of his work based on the quality of what he edited out. I feel like with games, it's a bit easier to pad things out because the majority of your time is generally not actually involved in the narrative parts of the story. I think a 1-2 punch could easily wind up being a better decision for games than trilogies when the dev time is so long.

Last edited:
Is the project actually being truncated or was the plan to make two games?

I think editing is integral to the creative process. Hemingway said he could judge the quality of his work based on the quality of what he edited out. I feel like with games, it's a bit easier to pad things out because the majority of your time is generally not actually involved in the narrative parts of the story. I think a 1-2 punch could easily wind up being a better decision for games than trilogies at when the dev time is so long.
The impression I got was that they decided to do two games because of the amount of time it was taking to make them. I'm not sure if that means they planned two from the start, or if they got into it and realized what a vast undertaking it is.

I think GoW 2018 is the best game SMS has ever made. I'm confident we'll have a real winner regardless of which initial layout this new game started with

Read an interesting theory on Twitter. Breaking the cycle has been an integral part of this story. For Atreus to kill Kratos would mean that the cycle continues (Zeus killed Kronos, Kratos killed Zeus, Artreus kills Kratos?) to end the cycle, the child will have to sacrifice him / herself.

I hope they don't make you play as Atreus too much like Last of Us 2 style...

Read an interesting theory on Twitter. Breaking the cycle has been an integral part of this story. For Atreus to kill Kratos would mean that the cycle continues (Zeus killed Kronos, Kratos killed Zeus, Artreus kills Kratos?) to end the cycle, the child will have to sacrifice him / herself.

IF Atreus kills Kratos it better be in the last game they ever make, or at the very least Atreus better gain some maturity and some badass abilities before we play as him, as current Atreus makes me want to throw him off a cliff.

Also how can they top this fucking Giant Serpent?! I have never had chills like that before when that thing emerged from the depths. Even the part when you enter his belly is epic. We needed more Frost Giants/Titans like in GOW3. Who remembers that Giant Scorpion on God Mode? I died so many times.

Also how can they top this fucking Giant Serpent?! I have never had chills like that before when that thing emerged from the depths. Even the part when you enter his belly is epic. We needed more Frost Giants/Titans like in GOW3. Who remembers that Giant Scorpion on God Mode? I died so many times.

For me, even more awe inspiring than this appearance itself, was when I realized that because he had merely moved, the water level had fallen.

It was one of the most brilliant strokes in the history of the industry-- it had a profound and memorable impact in terms of both narrative and gameplay-- in one single gesture.

If you're a kid getting into the game design industry-- you should be studying stuff like that

As soon as I saw Angrboda I knew this thread would be a fucking disaster.

Pretty sure we were told by Mimir during the first game that Thor was a fat fuck in the God of War universe.
I think making her black is silly, makes her feel like Token from South Park. Why not just use some African deity? I'd love see more crossovers like that, why stop at Greek and Norse gods if they want diversity? It's not going to affect the game for me, but it just comes across as pandering.

Fat Thor is money tho. I love it! He 's a bloody drunkard, the look fits him perfectly. I don't get meme Hemsworth vibes in Endgame, which I thought was awful.

E_f_1bWWYAkrCm4

E_f_3DNWQAMtgiO

E_f_33xX0AI8eKW

E_f_4dqXEAsuXOa

Man, Freya’s really going through it.

Kratos actually gets killed via shotgun by a tranny dwarf.

Then you have to play the second half of the game as the dwarf

EDIT: Wait it was a golf club lmao
Gosh, i hope so. That was such an incredibly bold move. All those bad user reviews dont have any taste, that was game of the year and rightfully so.

I love kratos. They should kill him.

Damn that last clip. Almost forgot how great that game was.

Back