Goals

How can I see if the coach is good? Well, his fight career/record is a big indication as well as the fighters he has produced.

Just because you get some prick who has been sucking dick long enough to get a black belt doesnt mean he is a good coach.

How can I see if the coach is good? Well, his fight career/record is a big indication as well as the fighters he has produced.

Just because you get some prick who has been sucking dick long enough to get a black belt doesnt mean he is a good coach.

It doesn't, but it grants him some sort of legitimacy, right? You take that logic to the extreme, and no coach is to be trusted... At least, from just looking at their ranking belt...

^^^^

I would from personal experience say no.
It does depend on his federation though. Generally a federation with low standards are looking for money and it attracts people looking for that (how many fat, out of shape thai boxers do you see compared to kick boxers or karate practioners).

Please note- you are not a thai boxer until you have had atleast 10 fights, where are you seem to be a kick boxer after 1 lesson.

Ok, we are arguing different things and I didn't make myself clear...

MMA isn't a Martial Art. That I know for sure! :icon_chee

Now, I know Kickboxing and Muay-Thai are different, a lot... But there is a grading system in both of them... Maybe not in its oringins (Muay-Thai), but as it grew and in a way to legitimize it and control it, a grading system was created! Otherwise, how could a newcomer to the sport see if his coach was good? Boxing didn't have that probelem, since it hit mainstream right away...

Btw, what does "akin" mean?'Cause English isn't my mother tongue... :redface:

Read my extend little rant about thai boxing mate :icon_chee

MMA is a sport

The federation I fight with (WMC), which is the biggest Muay thai federation in the world, doesn't have gradings.
As I said, gradings and the excuse to legitimize it (and control it) with the aid of gradings is very much a american way of thinking that brings in the money (if we can control what happens, we control the purse strings).

Boxing didn't hit the main stream right away, it was a traditional sport originating in the UK. Its tried and tested in the western world and although there have been attempts to introduce belts and gradings, its generally shouted down pretty quickly due to the tradition.
Its traditional in thailand and has been about longer then boxing has, but not in the western world (which is a shame).

Belts in what ever martial art do not link his ability to be a professional in that martial art. They link his ability to pay fees and copy someone else.
If someone has had 100 fights and has won above 80% he is a very very very good fighter. There is no doubting that.
If someone has a black belt, he has all the potential of being trhe most useless, out of shape, brain dead hick that paid his fees on time.

As I said, initially karate had like 3 belts, how many did it after after a few years of being in the US?

Oh, akin is like. Think your sister is your kin, so you are like her, ie from the same family branch.

What logic? The only logic I have is that I dont want to be taught how to swim by someone who has never been in the water, know what I mean ;)

Sorry for making this so OT freeman

The black belt issue... You're picking examples of "dirty", corrupt black belts that degrade the sport... But surely, a legitimate, hard won black belt means something, does it not?

Btw, a bit off-topic (like the whole thread!): do you have any fighting shoes to recommend me? I train in socks and I keep falling, it's starting to get ridiculous...

The black belt issue... You're picking examples of "dirty", corrupt black belts that degrade the sport... But surely, a legitimate, hard won black belt means something, does it not?

Btw, a bit off-topic (like the whole thread!): do you have any fighting shoes to recommend me? I train in socks and I keep falling, it's starting to get ridiculous...

In my experience someone who has fought hard to earn a black belt or some kind of apparal to signify they are good won't wear it unless tradition demands it. And you will know from how they carry themselves that they are something above the norm.

Those who wear it to go down to the shops for a carton of milk will be the ones who haven't earnt it. They are the ones that believe a bit of dyed cotton has mystical powers.

Use your bare feet?
I have never worn shoes or anything on my feet.
You'll rip the shit out of your skin the first few times you train (especially if you train on a wooden floor like I used to), but they will adapt and you'll get some thick skin.

you won't fit in shoes or socks, so don't train in them (plus its bad on your knees and ankles for when you kick)

In my experience someone who has fought hard to earn a black belt or some kind of apparal to signify they are good won't wear it unless tradition demands it. And you will know from how they carry themselves that they are something above the norm.

Those who wear it to go down to the shops for a carton of milk will be the ones who haven't earnt it. They are the ones that believe a bit of dyed cotton has mystical powers.

Use your bare feet?

Nah, I'm very picky when it comes on hygiene... Although my gym is clean, I want to ensure nothing happens...

Nah, I'm very picky when it comes on hygiene... Although my gym is clean, I want to ensure nothing happens...

Nothing will

Just wash them afterwards if you're going to be picky

Read my above edit btw

Admit your wrong.

If your MMA or MT/Kickboxing schools have belts - run away and join a new gym. A new MMA gym opened up by me - I was going to join it until I read up on it and its a mixture of TKD, Karate, and "Jijitsu".

I train in combat boots and a black belt. NOTHING ELSE.

Wow, this thread developed quickly. :D

I only want to address the thing about black belts. I'm really not a fan of belts and the more belts I've achieved over the years the less significant I find them. Martial arts is all about money, it started off honourable (and still is in many ways) and became corrupted over time. For instance, I work with the unemployed (I'll go no further :redface:) and I recently saw a job advertised for a martial arts instructor. I looked at the requirements and there were none. The job offered to train from white belt to black belt in...... go on, have a guess?.....

6 fucking weeks! - no kidding.

Do you really think that someone can become a responsible, knowledgable, martial arts tutor in that time?, of course not. So don't believe all you see or all you hear folks, as a large part of martial arts is just a business and the 'experts' are not always what they are cracked up to be.

Meh, I'll live. Thanks for the appology though...

so... anyone else want a black belt in kickboxing?

I have a dirty white belt I could lend you

edit- bloody hell I respond quickly when at work

Now now people
You've scared poor old kosh away

You might not be able to tell from my demeanor but I always enjoy a good debate with people. Its how we learn.

Kosh, if you wanna respond thats cool, if not we'll let this thread actually come back on topic

Now now people
You've scared poor old kosh away

You might not be able to tell from my demeanor but I always enjoy a good debate with people. Its how we learn.

Kosh, if you wanna respond thats cool, if not we'll let this thread actually come back on topic

Mate, I dwell in teh OT, it's not a bunch of Conditioning nancies that's gonna scare me away... :icon_chee

Anyway, I forfeit! At least I learned something...

Btw, It's best to back on-topic. SO, any goals for you, guys?

Mate, I dwell in teh OT, it's not a bunch of Conditioning nancies that's gonna scare me away... :icon_chee

Anyway, I forfeit! At least I learned something...

Btw, It's best to back on-topic. SO, any goals for you, guys?

cool

back_on_topic.jpg

Short term goals:

- Look Sweet

Long term goals:

- Look Sweeter

Back