Goals

Freeman102010

not Bȧnned
Reaction score
Who here has goals there training for? I've been a gym rat most of my life (I'm going to be 28 next month) and have found that I get the best results if I have a clear goal in mind. I chanllenge people with out a goal to really think of what they are and what they want to do. Maybe the fighters here can share there goals: go pro, overwhelm next opponent etc.

Maybe break them down into short term goals and long term goals. Seeing as it is Conditioning forum keep it to physical goals with conditioning elements.

My short term goals:

-use conditioning (and many other things) to get my weight down to 175 by August (wedding date). Dad has arthritis and Mom has Diabeties so weight is an important factor in my overal health and ablilty to be physically active in the future.

-consistantanly go to the monday night spinning classes at my gym to keep me motivated/progerssing on cardio

- going to keep doing monthly challenges here. I'm going to test my burpies sometime next week and look to do imporvements on that time by summers end.

Long term goals:

-Use superior conditioning to win a BJJ tournament
-Win an Amature MMA competition
-run a marathon before I die

Ok, I'll share some of my goals.

Long term goals:

- Achieve a Black Belt in Kickboxing;
- Become Amateur Champion (will have to work hard, but doable);
- Run a Marathon.

Short term goals:

- Enrol in either BJJ classes or Eskrima classes (want to become a complete fighter);
-Run a mile in less than 5.30 minutes.

Long term: Do MMA, I say this as long term because I cannot find a complete mma school around where I live.

Short term: Do 100 burpees non stop.

Ok, I'll share some of my goals.

Long term goals:

- Achieve a Black Belt in Kickboxing;
- Become Amateur Champion (will have to work hard, but doable);
- Run a Marathon.

Short term goals:

- Enrol in either BJJ classes or Eskrima classes (want to become a complete fighter);
-Run a mile in less than 5.30 minutes.

black belt in kickboxing???

black belt in kickboxing???

Yes. In the Western sistem, you can achieve a Black Belt in Muay-Thai or in one of its derivates, such as Full-Contact, Full-Contact with Lowkicks, etc..

Yes. In the Western sistem, you can achieve a Black Belt in Muay-Thai or in one of its derivates, such as Full-Contact, Full-Contact with Lowkicks, etc..

Not to be funny but you mean in the AMERICAN system

We don't have a belt system in the UK and nor does any of the european ones that I know of.

Traditionally you turn up, train until you are to a level where you can fight and then you get stuck in.

Also, there is no derivative of Muay Thai. It is full contact with elbows, knees and kicks or kick boxing. NEVER will the two be confused

EVER

I think belts/gradings in a ring sport are lame.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick about it.
But its a major gripe of mine.

On topic- good to have goals TS

My goal is to pull a sub 30 min 5 miler at my current 187 ish weight

Money making schemes traditionally

Very true, and sadly most TMA are about making money and are taught by poor quality instructors.

As for my goals, well I don't have any specific fitness goals and maybe I should try to think of some to aim for. I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment and my cardio is ever improving. Getting a different job is my biggest goal right now.

Very true, and sadly most TMA are about making money and are taught by poor quality instructors.

As for my goals, well I don't have any specific fitness goals and maybe I should try to think of some to aim for. I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment and my cardio is ever improving. Getting a different job is my biggest goal right now.

Yeah, a lot of people see it as a easy way to make money and think 'I've done a year of kick boxing, I can start a club up'

Its funny, I'm looking to get a new job.
I'm working on my running and cardio work more because my goal is to join the army as a officer before the year is out. Lots of work to do with my running and knowledge :redface:

Not to be funny but you mean in the AMERICAN system

We don't have a belt system in the UK and nor does any of the european ones that I know of.

Traditionally you turn up, train until you are to a level where you can fight and then you get stuck in.

Also, there is no derivative of Muay Thai. It is full contact with elbows, knees and kicks or kick boxing. NEVER will the two be confused

EVER

http://www.wakoweb.com/en/InfoPage.aspx?Ctn=82046

Search the grading system...

And no-one confused Muay-Thai with Kickboxing... :icon_chee

Looks gay, its just a scam to get people to stick around.

The only belt system I approve of is the British Judo Association, every belt grading you have to win actual fights against people your skill level. To get a black belt you have to win all your fights on the day (upto 5 or 6 matches) so a Judo Black Belt or at least a BJA one is definately going to have the skills to back the belt.

*cough*

I don't see where you're coming from at the moment mate

Also, wako is a kick boxing federation

Kick boxings origins are different to that of thai boxing

edit- MUSICAL FORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to go get laid to remove this gay feeling taint off me

*cough*

I don't see where you're coming from at the moment mate

Also, wako is a kick boxing federation

Kick boxings origins are different to that of thai boxing

edit- MUSICAL FORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to go get laid to remove this gay feeling taint off me

Ok, so there are no black belts in Muay-Thai? Then care to explain the curriculum of half of the fighters out there...

Ok, so there are no black belts in Muay-Thai? Then care to explain the curriculum of half of the fighters out there...

I don't understand your question

Do boxers have belts?

No, but kickboxers and MMA fighters do. Care to explain?

What?

What MMA fighters have a belt in a MMA system?
Are there any actual MMS systems about?
I know there are MMA gyms, but they have say BJJ guys and MT guys coming in to teach the two elements and then the fighters themselves combine it (or their instructors). I don't know of any actual MMA stlyes.

Like I said previously, you're mixing the terms Muay Thai and kick boxing.

Muay thai is over 1000 years old, originating in from its name sake and was built as a system of fighting (brawling really) on the battlefield. It initally had weapon elements and the off shoot can still be found. Traditional schools still teach elements in it.
edit- Muay Thai (thai boxing as some people call it) doesn't have belts or a graduation of techniques.
You get taught the same as everyone else. There is no segregation.
The only difference is fluidity, power and ability (and conditioning, but that waines along with the others. We'll think optimally here).
Muay thai fighters are trained up until such a point where the Kru of the gym or the fighter himself feels he is reasdy to fight (mainly the boss will tell you though).
Traditionally thai fighters do get a....I forget the name, but basically different arm bands to signify if they have had over so many fights, I think traditionally its 10, although there might be some further along the fight scale. But you earn these through fighting and not through learning techniques.
Like vince said with Judo, you earn them by competing with people your own skill level.
I see this as being very different to kick boxing or karate. Although some (the karateists) will probably disagree

Kick boxing is a american invention from the 1970's when the martial art of Karate was altered so that it could become a sport. It retained its grading element (and due to american input the number of belts in karate and as such kick boxing went up from the traditional 3 belts to like 9 with lots of smaller graduations along the way as a marketing scheme for profit).

Muay thai is akin to boxing as kick boxing is akin to karate

What?

What MMA fighters have a belt in a MMA system?
Are there any actual MMS systems about?
I know there are MMA gyms, but they have say BJJ guys and MT guys coming in to teach the two elements and then the fighters themselves combine it (or their instructors). I don't know of any actual MMA stlyes.

Like I said previously, you're mixing the terms Muay Thai and kick boxing.

Muay thai is over 1000 years old, originating in from its name sake and was built as a system of fighting (brawling really) on the battlefield. It initally had weapon elements and the off shoot can still be found. Traditional schools still teach elements in it.

Kick boxing is a american invention from the 1970's when the martial art of Karate was altered so that it could become a sport. It retained its grading element (and due to american input the number of belts in karate and as such kick boxing went up from the traditional 3 belts to like 9 with lots of smaller graduations along the way as a marketing scheme for profit).

Muay thai is akin to boxing as kick boxing is akin to karate

Ok, we are arguing different things and I didn't make myself clear...

MMA isn't a Martial Art. That I know for sure! :icon_chee

Now, I know Kickboxing and Muay-Thai are different, a lot... But there is a grading system in both of them... Maybe not in its oringins (Muay-Thai), but as it grew and in a way to legitimize it and control it, a grading system was created! Otherwise, how could a newcomer to the sport see if his coach was good? Boxing didn't have that probelem, since it hit mainstream right away...

Btw, what does "akin" mean?'Cause English isn't my mother tongue... :redface:

Back