Go on with weight cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoSexy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a BJJ tournament coming up on September 11-12 and I just lost control and screwed up my weight cut last weekend and gained about 3 pounds (curse you, pot munchies!!!!!!!!).

This morning, I weighed myself at 143.5 lbs. The weight class I was planning on competing in was super feather (64kg or 141lbs gi on). Keep in mind that this is my first time cutting and I'm (obviously) pretty bad at it.

Is it too late to make up for it? More or less I think that it's 8 pounds in 2 weeks I have to cut.

About me:
I'm 5'6 medium build.
I have access to a sauna, wheat bread and plenty of fruit.
I train 3-4x a week with a lot of cardio but my academics come first so I can't jog/do other cardio too much cause I have other commitments

Sorry if it's a stupid question, it's just that I'm very new to all of this and I'm not sure if it's too safe a cut for a first timer.

im going to the same tournament (perhaps Ill see you there).

i also have to lose 2 kgs. im starting today (aug 30) with just a light lunch and taking my coffee black. i have not been using A/C today so im sweating my nuts off!

I will go train bjj tonight and ill prolly follow that up with just a light dinner.

so, since we are just under 2 week out its a good idea to take in less than you normally do, perhaps 2/3 your normal caloric intake.

then, do your regular training all this week and next. you should be able to shed 2 to 4kgs just by eating less calories and still getting your workouts in. and this way, it wont be as uncomfortable as just completely stopping eating and draining your body of water 24 - 48hrs before. the comp. also, keep in mind you have to weigh in right before your match. so when you wake up on saturday morning you will be at least 1kg less than you weigh normally during the day time.

avoid the sauna if possible, its last resort cuz itll drain you more and make you tired. so plan ahead. and make it easy for yourself.

8lbs in two weeks isn't a HUGE deal, but you don't have any idea what you are doing. At your size, 8lbs is enough to screw uo your performance if you do it wrong. Is there anyone at your gym knowledgeable enough to coach you through the process?

Also, you haven't read the FAQs. Do it.

8lbs isn't alot and is doable, to be honest though your attitude is terrible.
All you needed was a little bit of discipline for a weekend, it's not like you forgot bout the tourny??
Good luck anyways, if you start seeing spots etc. stop LOL, I speak from experience.

im going to the same tournament (perhaps Ill see you there).

i also have to lose 2 kgs. im starting today (aug 30) with just a light lunch and taking my coffee black. i have not been using A/C today so im sweating my nuts off!

I will go train bjj tonight and ill prolly follow that up with just a light dinner.

so, since we are just under 2 week out its a good idea to take in less than you normally do, perhaps 2/3 your normal caloric intake.

then, do your regular training all this week and next. you should be able to shed 2 to 4kgs just by eating less calories and still getting your workouts in. and this way, it wont be as uncomfortable as just completely stopping eating and draining your body of water 24 - 48hrs before. the comp. also, keep in mind you have to weigh in right before your match. so when you wake up on saturday morning you will be at least 1kg less than you weigh normally during the day time.

avoid the sauna if possible, its last resort cuz itll drain you more and make you tired. so plan ahead. and make it easy for yourself.

Philippine Nationals? See you there man. Also, don't they allow weighing in when you register, so I can eat a bit before my match? I thought it was an anomaly last time during the Pan Asians that they'd only weigh you in before your actual match. Some of my teammates were weighed before their match and some were weighed when they registered.

Anyways, yeah I realize that was a pretty stupid thing to do and now I'm paying for it.

Went crazy today (a non-working holiday here), lifted weights, played ultimate frisbee then went on to training. After all that I weighed myself and was delighted to see that I was at 139.5 (of course I had to eat a bit to not die after all that). Guess I'm going on with the cut.

Tomorrow I plan to go to my classes, Judo Club at the afternoon, then BJJ at night so I burn as much calories as possible.

For breakfast tomorrow, I will cut down most of the rice I usually eat and eat mostly fruits. I will pack 2 spicy corned tuna on wheat bread sandwhiches for school and will drink only water and Gatorade Propel (which supposedly has very little calories). I'll load SOME carbs just so I don't die during training(s).

Sound like a good plan?

And yeah, I've read the FAQs, and this one guide linked there. I'll do the thing where one week before you drink a lot of water then the day before weigh-ins you drink only what you need and you still pee like you normally do. So yeah, hope that works

Sorry for the rambling and I'm really really really grateful for all of your help!

a periodic overfeed will actually keep your body losing weight and avoid "starvation mode" so while it wasnt the greatest choice it might end up being ok for you in the long run. Keep doing what your doing maybe sacrifice an additional 100 calories a day or something. and You might just have to sweat out some to make up for it. When you are in the sauna that 5th minute you can chalk it up to that choice, it might make you less likely to cheat in the future ;)

a periodic overfeed will actually keep your body losing weight and avoid "starvation mode" so while it wasnt the greatest choice it might end up being ok for you in the long run. Keep doing what your doing maybe sacrifice an additional 100 calories a day or something. and You might just have to sweat out some to make up for it. When you are in the sauna that 5th minute you can chalk it up to that choice, it might make you less likely to cheat in the future ;)

Yep, hopefully it doesn't come to that. Turns out I only have to cut about 4-5 pounds now since the weight I posted was just a big fluctuation from the gluttony the night before like you said and now after all the exercise I think I'm still more or less on track.

Also, since we're on the topic, how does using the sauna work? Logically, I'd assume you go in the sauna, cut however much weight you need, then drink only as much as you need for weigh-ins the next day. Can't be too sure though, thought I'd ask the experts :D

Unless you ate a shit-ton of pot munchies, or whatever they were, this will not de-rail you.

Unless you ate 10,000 calories worth, the majority of the weight you gained was water retention due to the excessive carb and salt intake from your ill-timed feasting.

Cut most of the carbs and salt out of your diet for a few days and you will likely be right where you were at before your little misadventure.

Alright, I'm learning a LOT about how my body works during this process.

In order to make up for the weekend's mishaps, I tried to do as many thing to make up for it. Needless to say, I felt like shit. I performed terribly at sparring (mainly because I was tired from Judo practice) and cramped 3 different places. The upside is that after training-hell I weighed myself at 137 even- my goal weight (which means that my weight fluctuated close to 10 pounds in 4 days, something I find fascinating as a weight cut noob).

Of course, I drank a ton of gatorade to help with the cramps and ate some ceral and soymilk at home to not starve to death.

Anyways, I think I understand now how this'll work. Basically I have to balance the two extremes. I only have to maintain and I'm pretty sure I'll make weight.

Thanks everyone! This has been a learning experience.

Unless you ate a shit-ton of pot munchies, or whatever they were, this will not de-rail you.

Unless you ate 10,000 calories worth, the majority of the weight you gained was water retention due to the excessive carb and salt intake from your ill-timed feasting.

Cut most of the carbs and salt out of your diet for a few days and you will likely be right where you were at before your little misadventure.

Also, but pot munchies, I mean the extreme desire for food you get when you're high on pot. Didn't help that we had plenty of chips, friend chicken and soda to satisfy my cravings.

Thanks for the info! Turns out you're right.

Also, but pot munchies, I mean the extreme desire for food you get when you're high on pot. Didn't help that we had plenty of chips, friend chicken and soda to satisfy my cravings.

YOU ate the food. Don't blame pot, I smoke to, all the time and I dont let it affect my cut. It also wasnt your pantries fault either. YOU ate the food. YOU need to own it.

AHH! Shows how out of the loop I am. I lived in Scotland for 10 years, and they have a dish there called "Pot Noodle" Kind of a poor mans ramen soup. Wasn't quite sure you were referring to pot, and did not want to assume. Tell Nick and Nate Diaz I said Hello.

YOU ate the food. Don't blame pot, I smoke to, all the time and I dont let it affect my cut. It also wasnt your pantries fault either. YOU ate the food. YOU need to own it.

Yep obviously. I'm not blaming anyone haha. I do think I'm making up for it decently

How do you do that? I am being serious. All I can think about is food...

How do you do that? I am being serious. All I can think about is food...

Because Pot is more medicine for me (have anxiety issues) than recreation but also because
1. I don't want to give haters or those who want to judge me any ammuntion therefore I will control my actions and not fall intoa a cliche sterotype.
2. I hate voodoo pharmacology. this is the belief that a substance can make you sin or do something evil or bad for you all by itself. Back in the day people believed weed would make you a blood thirsty rapist, now people will just assume you are a lazy, fat slob. Those options both suck.
3. If you love 2 things enough you learn to make them coexist. I love weed and I love mma. So I VAPORIZE (wont smoke during training camp) when I get home up until the time I go train. Than I train for 2 hours baked. I know alot of people cant do this but I argue its because they either don't love weed or dont love training like me and my twin brother do :)

Because Pot is more medicine for me (have anxiety issues) than recreation but also because
1. I don't want to give haters or those who want to judge me any ammuntion therefore I will control my actions and not fall intoa a cliche sterotype.
2. I hate voodoo pharmacology. this is the belief that a substance can make you sin or do something evil or bad for you all by itself. Back in the day people believed weed would make you a blood thirsty rapist, now people will just assume you are a lazy, fat slob. Those options both suck.
3. If you love 2 things enough you learn to make them coexist. I love weed and I love mma. So I VAPORIZE (wont smoke during training camp) when I get home up until the time I go train. Than I train for 2 hours baked. I know alot of people cant do this but I argue its because they either don't love weed or dont love training like me and my twin brother do :)

I haven't mastered that yet. I'd like to think that I love both equally too. Does the vaporizer have added benefits? I smoke with a regular pipe.

How do you role baked? How does it feel? I only tried it once, barely baked at that.

Marijuana use can't be discussed here, guys. Board rules.

so we can discuss steroids (also illegal) but we cant discuss this? And yes vaporizing reduces tar by quite a bit as it actually dosent combust the plant matter (tobacco or otherwise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back