Glutamine and Glycogen Resynthesis

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Monger, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Monger

Monger Chronically Injured

I just read Poliquin's statement (compiled by the editors) regarding glutamine and glycogen resynthesis over at T-Nation.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/more_poliquin_top_tips

I've seen other authors refer to this over at T-Nation in the past as well and I'm hear to say, I think its bullshit.

I believe this is the study that they are referring too...

From 1999.
    Here's John Berardi's argument against this study... which seems to be very strong, in my opinion.

Taken from here...
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_nov082002.htm

The real kicker is that the above study that T-Nation and friends are running with has NEVER been recreated to my knowledge.

Here are a couple of examples...

From 2000
    And this...

From 2006
    Why the hell are they running with information that hasn't been duplicated in 9 years? And if anyone has knowledge of research contradicting my opinion, please post it.

I'm thinking that this might have something to do with Poliquin's opinion on glutamine...
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/store/product.php?productid=16150&cat=0&page=1

He also sells his own fish oil, BCAA's, & BA which he conveniently seems to recommend ridiculous amounts of.

2. Grizvok

Grizvok White Belt

You are 100% correct. Orally taken glutamine does ABSOLUTELY nothing.

3. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

Nice work Monger. I saw Poliquin's tip on glutamine in today's T-nation article, and was like "WTF??? Why the fuck would he be recommending glutamine?!?".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, sure, it's an insulin secretagogue and an alkalizing agent, but for fuck's sake, so is ANY carb, and as far as alkalizing, eat your damn veggies.

If he wasn't selling it, it would still be stupidly insane, but this makes him look just as bad as the scam artists at T-nation. See what he's recommending for BCAAs? He's selling those, too.

"My athletes might go through 40 or 50 capsules per workout. We just dump about fifty capsules in a bottle and make sure they're all gone by the end of the workout. I find that to be very anabolic."

Wow.

4. Monger

Monger Chronically Injured

Yes, he also sells his own fish oil and, in my opinion, recommends dangerous amounts (for blood thinning reasons).

Even his recommendation of BA (which he also sells) seems sketchy with his "take it till you tingle" advice. As noticed in our BA thread, it seems like some individuals can take quite high doses without tingles.

5. erco

erco Brown Belt

Poliquin's an extremist. Not only does he recommend glutamine, but 30g? That's 30g glutamine, 40g Fish Oil and 30g of BCAA's? Talk about pill popping...

6. Grizvok

Grizvok White Belt

40g of fish oil...........HOLY HELL. I can't even imagine that. I though the 10g I took was a lot but 40g is just ridiculous.

7. ChingChang

ChingChang White Belt

glutamine supplementation is not necessary. most people get enough from their diet. it's in whey protein too.

8. stylesbjj**

stylesbjj** Banned Banned

*tries to join discussion*

So yeah, if you take the flux capacitor to the forth power and takes its eigen values, you make able to fit the model using the gauss-Newtonian method.

*fails*

9. Grizvok

Grizvok White Belt

That's not really the point, you know? It doesn't even reach your muscles in the first place.

10. ChingChang

ChingChang White Belt

which is why I said it is not necessary.

11. Grizvok

Grizvok White Belt

Hmmmmm, that isn't what your post says...

12. ChingChang

ChingChang White Belt

read the first sentence?

13. ChingChang

ChingChang White Belt

ok I realize I should have worded it differently. I was just trying to say that if glutamine was beneficial, most people already get a lot through their diet and whey protein supplement. :)

14. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

I think he's about right. Most whey and casein protein is about 14-20% glutamine. Which really means most people don't call for THAT much additional glutamine, if any at all (I wouldn't, according to his calculations I would need about 23g) In a good day I'll consume about 150-180g of protein, which if you are extremely conservative and assume 150g, with 14% being glutamine, would give me 21g. In reality the number is more toward 25-30g/day.

15. Grizvok

Grizvok White Belt

I see.

16. JinKazama

JinKazama Silver Belt

dang, i just bought some glutamine about 3 weeks back to try out

guess ill finish out the bottle and be done with it