Glucosamine

Chad Hamilton said:
What did you expect a Dr. to say about a supplement that he can't prescribe and make money from.

Sorry, not being a smart ass but if you haven't read the sticky at the top of the diet and supp page by King you should check it out.

So is he slinging Ibuprofen and Aspirin on the side instead?

Chad, sometimes your posts are simply devoid of ANY reason.

I usually try to stay away from them, anyway. To much damage to the liver, and sometimes it seems like they mess with my reflexes.

Madmick said:
So is he slinging Ibuprofen and Aspirin on the side instead?

Chad, sometimes your posts are simply devoid of ANY reason.

I agree.

However I noticed someone mentioned synovial fluid...my elbow was hyper'd in April due to armbar, blew out my capsule, and hylauronic acid helped that out alot.

Chad Hamilton said:
I agree.

However I noticed someone mentioned synovial fluid...my elbow was hyper'd in April due to armbar, blew out my capsule, and hylauronic acid helped that out alot.

Did you get injections of the hylauronic acid, or topical? Cytosport has a new roll-on topical hylauronic acid formulation that looks interesting.

On the NSAID's, it is a common prescription for pain management and it works. I occasionaly use Naprosyn, which is considered by many orthos to be the best of the cox-1 class. The newer cox-2 class (vioxx, celebrex) were designed to be easier on the stomach lining, but were recently pulled by the FDA, due to heart concerns and GI bleeding. Unfortuneatly, many people become reliant on these drugs for pain management and overdo it.

my big toe said:
Did you get injections of the hylauronic acid, or topical? Cytosport has a new roll-on topical hylauronic acid formulation that looks interesting.

On the NSAID's, it is a common prescription for pain management and it works. I occasionaly use Naprosyn, which is considered by many orthos to be the best of the cox-1 class. The newer cox-2 class (vioxx, celebrex) were designed to be easier on the stomach lining, but were recently pulled by the FDA, due to heart concerns and GI bleeding. Unfortuneatly, many people become reliant on these drugs for pain management and overdo it.

No injections...Fluid Motion by Health Direct.

http://www.healthdirectusa.com/product.php?prodID=12

Chad Hamilton said:
What did you expect a Dr. to say about a supplement that he can't prescribe and make money from.

I think a doctor would tell me the truth since he isn't making money. The guy at GNC (sorry KK) who gets 2% commision on all supps sold would be less informative, not including the fact he didn't go to med school.

Additionally, doctors don't make money on each perscription, so whether he perscribes something to you or not isn't going to change his paycheck.

Rjkd12 said:
I think a doctor would tell me the truth since he isn't making money. The guy at GNC (sorry KK) who gets 2% commision on all supps sold would be less informative, not including the fact he didn't go to med school.

Additionally, doctors don't make money on each perscription, so whether he perscribes something to you or not isn't going to change his paycheck.

I know they don't directly make money from perscriptions but they do have a vested interest in their sales.

Chad Hamilton said:

Sorry, not being a smart ass but if you haven't read the sticky at the top of the diet and supp page by King you should check it out.

My orthopedist told me to take Ibuprofen instead, because it would be cheaper. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a big jug of generic Ibuprofen pills. To my knowledge, my doctor did not get any kickbacks on my 10 dollar purchase. He didn't even offer me a prescription of anything! Your conspiracy theory is hereby terminated.

The makers of certain Glucosamine products had led me to believe that soft tissue could be regenerated by taking their product. Upon doing some research and asking some questions, I have learned this is false. They do not have to back up their claims in any way. They feed BS by the scoop and people eat it all day. My Ibuprofen jug will last me a year for 10 dollars. Glucosamine would cost 20 bucks a month or so if I'm not mistaken. Let's just say 250 dollars in a year. So about 25 times the cost of Ibuprofen for the same anti-inflammatory effect.

Conspiracy theory? Thats a little much I think.

Take your Ibuprofen and let me know how your bleeding ulcer's doing.

Are you saying that glucosomine doesn't work cause you asked some questions and did some research?

Interesting.

FYI, there is a comprehensive clinical study being done by NIH on Glucosimine and Chondrotin, results are expected by the end of 2005. Also, Glucosimine is not in same class as NSAID's, they work through different mechanisms.

This is from NIH site:

What prompted NIH to study glucosamine and chondroitin for osteoarthritis?
On January 27, 1998, NCCAM held a meeting to discuss the need, rationale, and feasibility of conducting a Phase III study (a human study involving over 1,000 patients to test the efficacy, safety, and side effects of a substance) of glucosamine and chondroitin for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Meeting participants included experts in osteoarthritis, alternative medicine, biostatistics and family practice, and staff of the NIH and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The group determined that there is a real and urgent public health need to test these agents in a rigorous way, and that current scientific data support short-term testing of glucosamine and chondroitin for pain control and functional improvement of osteoarthritis.

Stay tuned.

Chad Hamilton said:
Conspiracy theory? Thats a little much I think.

Take your Ibuprofen and let me know how your bleeding ulcer's doing.

Are you saying that glucosomine doesn't work cause you asked some questions and did some research?

Interesting.

I'm saying that it doesn't regenerate tissue. I admit it works as an anti-inflammatory, that's why people say their joints feel better.

Do you really think it regenerates cartilage and other soft tissue?

Do you really think my orthopedist has a vested interest in saying it doesn't, and telling me to get Ibuprofen?

I don't believe it regenerates.

I believe that it helps lubrication and the overall health of the tissues and cartilage.

Chad Hamilton said:
I don't believe it regenerates.

I believe that it helps lubrication and the overall health of the tissues and cartilage.

That's better than just alleviating the pain, IMHO.

Back