glucosamine and chondroitin "ineffective"

Butler

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of disagreement in previous studies, but I'm quite sure some people still take this stuff, so this might be of use to someone.

Our findings indicate that glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not result in a relevant reduction of joint pain nor affect joint space narrowing compared with placebo.

BBC News - Supplements for osteoarthritis 'do not work'
Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: network meta-analysis -- Wandel et al. 341 -- bmj.com

I'm taking 3000mg of glucosamine sulfate right now and have been for the last couple of months. My joint issues are worse now than they ever were. This stuff really does NOT work in my opinion. First off they say you have to take it for at least a month to see any effects, well...I bought 4 months worth so..I guess we'll see, but I'm not expecting any real changes between now and then.

hmmm. It has always helped me. I have terrible joints from years of sports and military. maybe it was the placebo effect?

I had a gym teacher tell me glucosamine would help with joints. I did some quick google research a few months ago (might have even poted about it) and I coulnd't find many reliable studies or articles that could prove it actually helped much.

Worked for me, used Animal Flex (bit pricey but it has a wide range of ingredients). Another option is cissuss.

my knees are especially bad. a month of glucosimine with chondroitin helped quite a bit.

Both my knees and hips are bad, and I have a frozen ankle that may never heal so WOO HOO!!! I tried MSM a long time ago and saw no results, but I may not have taken enough or taken it long enough. After I finish off this glucosamine I'll just keep trying things and hopefully find something that works. Glad you found something, because chronic joint pain just sucks. Makes you pretty tough though. I'm seeing a rhumatologist about the ankle but can't get in til January. I've had the condition for almost a year now and I really can't pinpoint what caused it exactly, so hopefully he can find out and fix it because not being able to play sports or have confidence on uneven surfaces has dramatically changed what once was an extremely active lifestyle.

I work at GNC and I keep hearing good stories about Super Cissus by USP Labs. It's a joint product. A lot of my customers like it and I have an elderly coworker who takes this for his knees and he says his pain just went away like magic.

Edit: Oh, and fish oil also helps with joint pain.

Glucosamine definitely works for me. A couple years ago during a regular regimen of running 5-6 miles a day, I started getting a popping in my left knee and my right big toe. At first it was just a curiosity but it didn't hurt so I ignored it. After a couple of weeks both joints did start to hurt with every pop.
I went to my doctor about it and he said to get some Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM pills and I did. Within 2 weeks of taking it the popping and pain stopped and has never returned even once. So take that as you will, but I still take the stuff to this day and probably always will.

And just an FYI, it helps the healing of cartilage, specifically. It's not a cure-all. It's not magic. If you have more problems than just cartilage being worn away faster than your body can replace it like I was having, or if you have more than just cartilage damage from something else, then your problem will not be solved by this alone.

I highly recommend taking this stuff if you are very active. If you have painful problems, see a professional.

I work at GNC and I keep hearing good stories about Super Cissus by USP Labs. It's a joint product. A lot of my customers like it and I have an elderly coworker who takes this for his knees and he says his pain just went away like magic.

Edit: Oh, and fish oil also helps with joint pain.

Fish oil is the closest thing to a magical pill

I take both glucosamine and chondroitin with fish oil and it seems to work for me. Thank goodness.

neither of them had an effect on my joints after taking in high doses for 5 months along with omegas and flax. then i read numerous studies that concluded hard training athletes are defficient in magnesium, which can lead to aching joints amongst other things. purchased some magnesium spray and after 1months use my elbows are a damn sight better off, not totally pain free, but closer than i have been for years. f hook glucosamine and chondroitin!!!

Cissus and fish oil = pain free joints for me!

That cissus stuff isn't something I've tried, despite having heard about it by name. At a glance it sounds like it is anecdotally well respected.

Have you had any problems with spots/acne while taking it, by any chance?

It worked for me too. But I also take it together with fish oil. And those are the only supplements I take.

interesting, i also read that BBC article when it came out, by the looks of it the study focused on old/oldish people, not lifters, so its void for 99% of us on this board? at least for me it is!

i'd say fish oil has had more results than glucosamine for me, but i take both...there is no doubt that they help, just dont expect miracles!

also i tend to disregard those studys since half the time they pretty much publish whatever they are 'funded' to do, take word of mouth over that any day of the week

Back