gloves, shinguards, supplemenets?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ksmnn, Jun 3, 2014.

1. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

Hi,
    I'm from Europe, moved to the NY for some time. Left all my gear in europe, and since I'm not planning on coming back any time soon, I'm in a need to get some training gear together.

I need boxing gloves, shin guards. wraps and mouthpiece I can get of ebay since they're cheap anyway. But I want some nice real leather gear, not synthetic and not plastic. Some boxing gloves are advertised as leather but on the wrist area are plastic and they break easile in the connection point. Ofcourse at an affordable price.

Other things, supplements. For starters I could use aminoacids before and after workout, in tablets I hate that powder stuff. Also does anyone know any brand that has nice vitamine set? My trainer at Poland told that vitamines that are made by bodybuilding companies are better absorbed by the body. At my place I had these nice vitamines with 2 sets of pills, one in the morning and different one before sleep.
    I wouldn't mind some high dose vitamine C, and maybe some stuff for regeneration after workout days before sleep. Maybe I could start on some protein shakes, back at home I ate 5 balanced meals a day, in my current situation I can handle 3, breakfast, lunch and light supper. So I was thinking about getting 2 missing meals in shakes or something, so I can eat 3 lesser meals and 2 shakes for example (like before and after training), I'm still eating light breakfast but the last meal of the day when I come back at 8 is usually pretty big since I'm hungry and before I make it I eat it at 9 and it's not good, or so I heard.

I pretty much know what I want, and you don't have to search every single piece for me. It's just that companies at my place and here are totally different. I don't know one company that I saw on ebay and don't know which ones are good quality and which ones are there just to rip me off my money for poor quality product. I don't need the best of the best, but since I had some good quality stuff at my place for reasonable price I don't see why I wouldn't find it here?

I know I'm pain in the ass, but no one I know here doesn't work out, unless you count girls that are going to fitness and drink green teas. So you guys would be a great help for me.

Thanks6

2. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Without knowing your budget it is hard to know what the target cost of the gear you seek is.

3. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

For the gloves, shins, mouthpiece, wraps, headgear I could go with 200-300$ I guess, I don't know if that a lot or not for that stuff
    For supplements I really don't know, 100-150 a month? I realize that some stuff might come as a few month supply that doesnt matter.

4. Deathstriker

Deathstriker I eat Simba and wear his skin

For advice on vitamins go to the diet and supplementation forum.

5. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

towards the $300 dollar range can almost buy new.
    though i suppose if you go custom mouthguard now you couldn't.

6. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

Well I want new gear, and I don't need custom mouthpiece.

Anyone can give me some solid brands I can look at?
    Again I don't need the best, something decent that won't break after few uses.

7. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

*Top King Shinguards (recommended by near universal consensus) - $70 ish

*Twins gloves (most Muay Thai/Kickboxers like these, nice and last well) - $60-70
    or
    *Boon Gloves (my favorite) - $70

*Handwraps... just get mexican style (that means slightly stretchy) 180" ones from either Ringside, Revgear, Ring to Cage, ... they are all approximately similar and very good. - $6-7

I'll let someone else recommend a mouthpiece/headgear (not my dept.-- wear a cheap 1-dollar football boil&bite mouthguard, lulz, and no headgear).

Some people like Reyes ($125), a lot of people on here like GoldenGear ($120ish). If you have $200 or so, everyone agrees Winning [FG2900 - mexican style] is the best brand [FG5000 is with the facebar]

8. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Get that golden gear headgear. It gets good reviews, you can get a shock doctor nano mouth guard for 20 bucks.

Get your supliments from Walmart. No offense but that advice about body building supliments being better is bs.

9. MMA Somnia

MMA Somnia White Belt

Hey ksmnn,

I carry some brands you might be interested in such as Boon, Top King, Fairtex, etc.. I am also working on having my own brand of gloves manufactured. Take a look at my site in signature and if you have questions please let me know. I'd love to help you.

Contact me here, via email at [email protected], or by phone at 510-364-0842.

-Solmadrid

10. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

+1 to this. Get the Top King shins and either twins or boon gloves.

I prefer wraps made by Thia manufacturers, as I find them to be thinner (which I prefer) and better quality.

Lastly, I don't think you said you needn't headgear, so I'd spend the money you have left for a nice non-dentist custom mouthguard from somewhere like Gladiator Guards or Opro. It's a night and day difference over a boil and bite, and you will not regret it.

11. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

Can anyone tell me where to find goldengear headgear, and gladiator guard or opro custom mouth guards? Can't find them on eBay or few web stores I found

12. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

13. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

So how these gladiator mouth guards work? 80 bucks is a lot for mouth guard. And how do they make it custom? Can you walk me more or less through the process of getting custom mouthguard? From what I read I understand I want gladiator elite ?

14. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

You can get by with the Pro model which is cheaper. Basically they send you a mold kit in the mail. You get enough materials to make two molds in case you screw one up. you then mail back your molds and they send you a mouthguard and your final mold. If you save your final mold, you can use it to get half-priced mouthguards later down the road.

See this thread for more info and you can search the forums for even more information: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f16/gladiator-mouthguard-2630363/

15. Gladiator Guards

Gladiator Guards Yellow Belt

If you like I can answer questions here.

16. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

Yeah, that wouls great. Whats the difference between xcut and fullback thingy. If i order first pro mouthguard, can i get elite half price and do I use the same mold?

17. ksmnn

ksmnn White Belt

And what about groin protection? Forgot about those, though the most important part I guess :D

18. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

For groin protection, most people here (from what I gather) wear stretchy compression shorts/pants[/U] (the ones that come with a flexible cup that fits inside them)

Shock Doctor is the most popular brand ($30-40)

XO is another brand that used to be popular around '06, you can take a look at those ($same-ish)

Jaco makes a supposedly very effective high end one but it costs near $60

IF you want the king of crotch protection, get DiamondMMA. It costs about $100 or a little more but supposedly has the best protection. There's a video on youtube showing people demo-ing (letting themselves get kicked repeatedly in the naughty regions, wearing the diamondMMA cup/shorts system) with no problems at all. They even drive a truck over the cup (without the guy wearing it, though :) )

19. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Get a lobloo groin guard

20. K4BOSH

K4BOSH Purple Belt

title mma makes pretty good gear for those on a budget. shinguards, gloves, headgear all under $50 each. and I would go with one of those tapout boil and bite 2 packs for a mouth guard and a steel thai cup for groin protection. I know there are more superior name brands out there but are really expensive.