Gloves purely for heavy bag work

Kuvasz

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for a new set of gloves (probably 14oz) purely for the heavy bag.

They need to be hook and loop because most of the time I'll be using them in fitness-style classes; I would like quality though as my hands aren't that tough (I have medium-sized hands and I weigh about 165-170).

Budget is up to $200 (my current $50 gloves have probably gone through 150 hours of bag work and are now dead, so if I can get over 600 hours out of a $200 pair then I'll be ahead).

I've read through a lot of the reviews on here and elsewhere and the results are mainly people spruiking their wears, cheque-book journal articles or generally a mess... but I gather Winning and Grant are the go in terms of quality but Winning are beginning to push my price range and I can't even find Grant online.

Other options seem to be:
Clato Reyes Super Bag Gloves (seems like they're pretty polarising)
Ringside IMF Tech (or Heritage Super Bag which certainly look cool...)
Ring to Cage C17s
Rival, Fairtex, Lonsdale?

I'll do some more research tomorrow (pushing 11:30pm here and I have work early tomorrow) but I'd appreciate some recommendations so I can do some more research tomorrow.

Avoid the Ringside IMF and Heritage bag gloves.

Don't expect $200 pair to give you 600 hours just because $50 gave you 150. Rival has a pretty extensive collection of bag gloves, from mitts to their top of the line rb10 - a little bit of overkill with the $160US price.

If you've never tried Cleto, maybe try and see if you can demo a pair from a friend before you invest, because it seems to work really well for some and not so well for others.

I've also heard good thing about the Tokushu as a bag glove though I've never tried Hayabusa.

The best super bag glove I've ever tried is the Grant Professional Super Bag glove which now costs over $350US - the second best were the o.g. Ringside Super Bag gloves but you can't find them anymore except for on eBay once in a while.

Avoid the Ringside IMF and Heritage bag gloves.

Any particular reason? They seem to get decent reviews.

Don't expect $200 pair to give you 600 hours just because $50 gave you 150.

That was semi- tongue-in-cheek, but I do see lots of pictures of (supposedly) two year old gloves still in good shape so I was hoping there would be some kind of magic pudding...

I've also heard good thing about the Tokushu as a bag glove though I've never tried Hayabusa.
I haven't been reading great stuff about Hayabusa gloves generally, but I'll check some reviews for those specifically as well as the Rivals. Thanks.

I wouldn't buy winnings strictly for bag work, or cleto Reyes either.

For simple bag gloves, if that's really all I was going to do with them like take classes at la boxing or something like that, I'd just get some title heavy bag gloves or prett much anything g that felt good. Maybe a fairtex bgv9 or even those hayabusa ones that are just made for classes.

I just don't see the need to use high end stuff for heavy bag work, I think my gear geek-ness must be slipping because there was a time I I didn't feel the same.

You could get something custom from topboxer too and come out less than your 200 dollar budget and have something Berger for your hands.

Any particular reason? They seem to get decent reviews.

That was semi- tongue-in-cheek, but I do see lots of pictures of (supposedly) two year old gloves still in good shape so I was hoping there would be some kind of magic pudding...

I haven't been reading great stuff about Hayabusa gloves generally, but I'll check some reviews for those specifically as well as the Rivals. Thanks.
The Sabas bag gloves seem to have gotten good reviews.

http://www.sabasfightgear.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6458828

Ringside is just shite right now. No CS, their gloves randomly burst at the seams. Apparently the Heritage gloves are pretty nice but the leather is thin and requires maintenance. Also way overpriced. Just avoid them, please. If you had to choose between Title and Ringside (I would tell you to go with neither) I would say go Title.

I forgot about KOfightgear. I've never tried their stuff, but they are literally the only brand here that I've not heard anything negative about. The price and quality is apparently unparalleled, especially for a bag glove, and they're on sale. Ignore the fact that they say "sparring". I believe that should be irrelevant:

https://www.kofightgear.com/sparring_gloves.htm

I would say go Hayabusa or Rival. Also, I agree with everything Ironwolf says. Not so much with hangulmalmotayo, probably because I'm pretty sure it should be hangukmalmotaeyo :p

Looks like I'll grab a pair of the Hayabusa Tokoshus and see how I go.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ringside is just shite right now. No CS, their gloves randomly burst at the seams. Apparently the Heritage gloves are pretty nice but the leather is thin and requires maintenance. Also way overpriced. Just avoid them, please. If you had to choose between Title and Ringside (I would tell you to go with neither) I would say go Title.

I forgot about KOfightgear. I've never tried their stuff, but they are literally the only brand here that I've not heard anything negative about. The price and quality is apparently unparalleled, especially for a bag glove, and they're on sale. Ignore the fact that they say "sparring". I believe that should be irrelevant:

https://www.kofightgear.com/sparring_gloves.htm

I would say go Hayabusa or Rival. Also, I agree with everything Ironwolf says. Not so much with hangulmalmotayo, probably because I'm pretty sure it should be hangukmalmotaeyo :p
Haha, the mis-spelling (or whatever it is) is part of it!

My two cents: I have the Tokushus and don't like them too much. I used them for about six months. The wrist support is great, but I find the padding on the fist area to be virtually non-existent. Also, I don't feel like I can make a good fist in those gloves. They're a little too gimmicky for me. But other people love them. So that's that.

Back