Gloves off

Onericali

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Say this is a matter of life and death. One person is skilled in harsh attacks with fingers and hands (no gloves) to vital organs and face etc.. The other is skilled in take downs, submissions, and also has no gloves.

I like MMA for sport, but I don't plan on competing. I would, however, like to be prepared for multiple attackers at a bar situation, per se.

I don't have time to go to the ground, and I'm wondering if sheer viciousness can disable an assailant before they take you down.

The problem here is obviously that once taken down in a situation with multiple attackers, the others can more easily kick you in the head.

I do like ground technique a lot, but I would like to get some advice on what truly could happen once the gloves are off.

Say this is a matter of life and death. One person is skilled in harsh attacks with fingers and hands (no gloves) to vital organs and face etc.. The other is skilled in take downs, submissions, and also has no gloves.

I like MMA for sport, but I don't plan on competing. I would, however, like to be prepared for multiple attackers at a bar situation, per se.

I don't have time to go to the ground, and I'm wondering if sheer viciousness can disable an assailant before they take you down.

The problem here is obviously that once taken down in a situation with multiple attackers, the others can more easily kick you in the head.

I do like ground technique a lot, but I would like to get some advice on what truly could happen once the gloves are off.

There's a lot of different scenarios.

What if he pulls out a knife?

What if he pulls out a gun?

What if he gets a weapon from a table like a bottle?

No martial art can really prepare you for that type of situation.

Running track can prepare you for a quick escape. Better than standing there and fighting multiple people, which in my opinion would be stupid.

In a matter of life and death you should have that "this punch has to kill this guy" mentality.

And you probably should mess with grappling too much, if you're against multiple people or the guy has a weapon.

There are a lot of ways to hurt someone though. A large part of what happens depends on your mindset.

In a matter of life and death you should have that "this punch has to kill this guy" mentality.

And you probably should mess with grappling too much, if you're against multiple people or the guy has a weapon.

There are a lot of ways to hurt someone though. A large part of what happens depends on your mindset.

To be honest I think he's trollin.

if its a group and they have weapons.. learn to run and have stamina to run for at least 2 miles LOL

if you know pressure point shots and vital organ attacks that would be good for a life and death situation.but against multiple attackers you should run.

a good legit karate school will teach you these dangerous techniques.

screw pressure points, it's overhyped. Gouging his eyes or grasping his throat and all that, sure that all works, but the problem is just that grabbing / squeezing attacks are slow. Punches are much faster to execute and they don't just cause pain or injury, they instantly stun the opponent, which allows you to follow up with other things. That's why strikes are indispensible. Takedowns and groundwork try to counter strikers by waiting for an opening first, and that can often work when you're good

screw pressure points, it's overhyped. Gouging his eyes or grasping his throat and all that, sure that all works, but the problem is just that grabbing / squeezing attacks are slow. Punches are much faster to execute and they don't just cause pain or injury, they instantly stun the opponent, which allows you to follow up with other things. That's why strikes are indispensible. Takedowns and groundwork try to counter strikers by waiting for an opening first, and that can often work when you're good

Based on the limited knowledge I have this is good advice. I know that I'm taught to strike, unbalancing, and then throw or takedown or even wrist lock. Pressure points are over hyped but its probably a good idea to learn the major ones because they're easy to remember, learn and can be used with strikes (some of them anyway).

Running is the best technique...even if you know a martial art you may still end up losing to weapons, numbers, size difference, or actual fight experience. Of course you may win but then have to deal with the aftermath

Watch and be amazed as this thread hits 8 pages, minimum.

And what if you throw your nifty little death touch poke at the the guy skilled in grappling and he slips it and comes under and takes you down and procedes to mount you whilst pummeling you into ground beef?

I always love guys who say "Ah, i would just poke him in the eye or kick him in the crotch."

But what if you miss? Then what are you going to do when he counters your attack? Not a damn thing thats what, because your silly delusional world would be tumbling down in a split second because you built your entire defense off of some ridiculous attack that has a low percentage of working! :icon_chee

Moral of the story boys and girls! Listen to your uncle Legs and learn a legitimate martial art from a legitimate teacher and train said art realistically and frequently so if the time ever comes you must engage in fisticuffs with a foul street cur wishing to give you the thrashing of your life, you will be COMPLETELY prepared to deal with the situation.

Genius thy name is Legs Mahoney.:icon_chee

There's a few attacks to the eyes that are incredibly easy. Stun the guy with that and THEN follow up with a stronger attack.

And what if you throw your nifty little death touch poke at the the guy skilled in grappling and he slips it and comes under and takes you down and procedes to mount you whilst pummeling you into ground beef?

I always love guys who say "Ah, i would just poke him in the eye or kick him in the crotch."

But what if you miss? Then what are you going to do when he counters your attack?

That's why we train. It's up to you to make yourself good enough that when you have to, you don't fail. If we're talking about life and death here, another mentality you should have is "I can not make a mistake, or I will die".

Indeed, but the guy your fighting is going to have the same attitude as you do thus somebody is gonna miss. :icon_twis

Use the SPEAR method from Blauer!

Combat athletes dont train to attack vital points but TMA's dont even train to get hit.I'll take my striking which I know is reliable over their precious cheap blows which they wont be able to perform after they take one or two flush shots to the face and wilt.

Also, due to our hard sparring and level of conditioning we're tough as fuck and can take more damage than a regular human. the shit we do to each other in the gym (not to mention an actual fight) is more than most people can handle, both physically and mentally. We dont need to attack the balls to finish an assailant quickly or with one strike, we can just hit them in their soft ass body.

Last edited:
Combat athletes dont train to attack vital points but TMA's dont even train to get hit.I'll take my striking which I know is reliable over their precious cheap blows which they wont be able to perform after they take one or two flush shots to the face and wilt.

Also, due to our hard sparring and level of conditioning we're tough as fuck and can take more damage than a regular human. the shit we do to each other in the gym (not to mention an actual fight) is more than most people can handle, both physically and mentally. We dont need to attack the balls to finish an assailant quickly or with one strike, we can just hit them in their soft ass body.

Boy, that's a stupid sounding attitude. I'd even say that's the kind of thinking that will get someone fucked up in a real fight.

Back