Gloves for kickboxing

My understanding is that this is the King brand from Thailand and they've just had that "update" AntonCrowley referenced. Can tell by the cuff they are likely still Thai gloves and associated in some way at the least.

Yeah I think so too, look like Thai factory product + rebranding to me as well. (No vent holes though.)

My personal experience is also different to yours with Top King, they very snug, but plenty enough of length, I also have narrow hand relatively long fingers, in terms of length, able to fit in broken in 8oz better than some 14, 16oz even.

On Sherdog people always recommend KO Fight Gear.

One thing I can never understand is, why do people use smaller gloves for bag work. I train with 16oz only. Yes it's bigger and heavier and slows you down but that's also an added bonus for training. The bigger glove also allows me to punch harder. My knuckles still get red after a good work out. Can someone explain to me why people train in smaller gloves? You fight in 16 so might as well train in them.

Not sure if cereal regarding fighting in 16oz gloves?? You probably mean sparring. I like lighter weight gloves just because they feel better to me. Really it all comes down to your ability to make a fist and your aptitude to know how to land your punches correctly. Bigger gloves don't make you punch harder. If you have injured hands you might be able to feel less pain if that's what you mean. You can also shadow box with heavier weights or resistance bands as an alternative workout, give your hands a rest. You don't have to always go all out when hitting the heavy bag. I like to mix up the power on my shots. Usually I turn on full power no more than twice in a 4 bell round. It's normal for your knuckles to get a little red after a long heavy bag workout. There is no real reason to have extra long heavy bag workouts where your just punching, unless your training for a fight. I would say 6 rounds for boxing or 3 rounds of thai boxing for a general workout is adequate. That is assuming your doing other things like skipping rope, pad work, sparring, and calisthenics etc. in your total workout.

Cheers.

when it comes to gloves it's all about personal preference I would recommend physically going into a local gear store and trying out a few different pairs. Hell you might end up loving the fit of some unknown brand over the more popular brands you've seen online.

On Sherdog people always recommend KO Fight Gear.

One thing I can never understand is, why do people use smaller gloves for bag work. I train with 16oz only. Yes it's bigger and heavier and slows you down but that's also an added bonus for training. The bigger glove also allows me to punch harder. My knuckles still get red after a good work out. Can someone explain to me why people train in smaller gloves? You fight in 16 so might as well train in them.
u dnt fight in 16 boxers fight in 12 oz 10 oz 8 oz mma fight in 4 oz no one fights in 16

u dnt fight in 16 boxers fight in 12 oz 10 oz 8 oz mma fight in 4 oz no one fights in 16

Well not strictly true, in the US in the "Masters Division" for older amateur fighters their competition gloves are 16oz. Obviously in unlicensed/white-collar/smoker bouts etc you'll get people fighting in 16oz.

Just being pedantic though and anyone saying "You fight in 16 so might as well train in them." is incorrect for the majority.

As a kickboxer myself, I dont touch Muay thai gloves anymore. Its just way too clunky/awkward for my taste. I get it if you tend to stand on the outside blocking kicks all night long and need the back hand + side padding. But for me, being able to throw the best punches I can possibly throw is much more important and thats why I like using boxing gloves. Boons are a good thai brand though. Their gloves are more boxing style rather than muay thai.

Rival gloves are by far my favorite. Quality is up there with Winnings but for less money. I feel like it will take over the industry. Best gloves I ever wore. My punches got so much cleaner and crisper going from a Twins to these Rival gloves. And I block head kicks just fine. The best part of these gloves is that they dont feel like their weight. Its compact and weight distribution is solid even all around. 16 Oz feels like a 14Oz even less. So I feel guilty (not really hehe) landing much more fast solid combos on sparring partners.

Seeing that you are already aiming at Reyes and Winning. You will be fine with Winning, even with a lot of kicks involve. Winning is still one of the most popular gloves among mma pros. Reyes probably not as good for sparring with kicks though.

As for your size, you probably don't need two sets of gloves, you can easily do everything with 16 oz. But if you have the budget for it, then sure get 2 sets, in that way your sparring gloves can last a lot longer too.

Oh for shinguards, I think 90% of people are going to agree Top King is the best choice of all.
What about the Ring to Cage C17. Seeing it's a pretty good winning clone.
Also lace or velcro for kickboxing

Back