Glover vs OSP: Your take ? (with GIFs)

Glover is absolutely world class at MMA adapted grappling. If you know what you're looking at, its very impressive to watch. He showed some very high fight IQ tonight. A lesser man would have lost after the big body kick. Instead he figured out how to survive, regroup and adjust his strategy.

He showed a mastery of fighting. Technique, timing, composure. Glover is a true master. The bad news is he's nearing the end of his athletic career. His body looked slow for a slow guy.

It's taken a lifetime to hone his craft and it is most certainly artful. The body betrays them all though. By the time you have the experience and skill of a master in MMA, your body is already beginning to walk out on you.

War Glover.

War Glover indeed.

I agree that he didn't look quick, but I think Glover has a couple of quality years in him yet. His style doesn't require him to fight quick, and his power and technical proficiency should last for a little while still.

I start to worry about his chin, though.

I wonder if there's some sort of drills Glover can do to improve his speed. He's got the strength, technique, cardio, and IQ but he's just so damn slow.

OSP's roundhouse to the body is insane. Hits as hard as anyone

Glover isn't a fast twitch type of guy. He's a lumbering fighter with heavy hands. He has great wrestling though, and his top game is legit- among the best in the division. He wasn't gassed IMO.
OSP was tired after 1 round, and although he had his moments, Glover won every round up to that sub. All in all a good showing by Glover and nice to see him get the W as an underdog. I think people were underrating him because of his last performance.

Yeah most of sherdog doesn't seem to understand how level of competition makes a difference.

Glover is, and always has been an incredible grappler. His technique, sense of distance and timing got the fight to the mat.

Glover is a good grappler when he fights people with lousy wrestling, like OSP. Phil Davis tossed him around like a child.

i agree, Glover just looked like an old guy fighting lol

He IS an old guy fighting.

He was always slow just packed serious power.

Now he just keeps getting slower which makes him no threat to Cormier, Rumble or Gus who are all fast fighters.

OSP simply does not have the wrestling skills to compete with top fighters. Otherwise, he was better at everything else and would have been better cardio wise.

OSP simply does not have the wrestling skills to compete with top fighters. Otherwise, he was better at everything else and would have been better cardio wise.

His striking is very awkward.

He had a good body kicks but had no set ups. Once you opponent knows your going to throw it you risk being taken down.

He is a lefty with long reach. He should be throwing jabs to set up his body kick as well as 1-2's to get his opponents to raise their hands to protect their face then throw the power kick to the liver.

He keeps his hands down and throw one shot at time with his chin straight up in the air. He has been getting away with it due to his reach but Gus or Rumble will put him to sleep with those habits.

Okay. From watching in person: the early grapple match and scrambles were extremely tiring.

OSP has mediocre jiujitsu and lacking takedowns.

He should have worked to get up and had several opportunities to.

The difference here was experience and jiujitsu. Glover wasnt really impressive and OSP needs to work in a more skilled environment than Knoxville MMA.

I don't think Teixeira looked too gassed, he's just slow.

he's always been slow, that was the major criticism going into the Jones fight, and utlimately why he lost. He's very technical and strong, but he's just too slow to ever hold the belt. and fighting a better wrestler kills his entire game.

He probably matches up best with Gustaffson out of the top 5.

Glover is a good grappler when he fights people with lousy wrestling, like OSP. Phil Davis tossed him around like a child.

Glover cut 30lbs in like a week for the Davis fight, was ill the day of the fight, and he looked AWFUL physically. you can just look at him and easily see he was at his worst shape in comparison to all his other UFC fights.

Easy to believe him just based on how he looked physically, like I said, on fight night.

Glover is an elite grappler and a very legit 2nd degree BJJ BB.

Glover cut 30lbs in like a week for the Davis fight, was ill the day of the fight, and he looked AWFUL physically. you can just look at him and easily see he was at his worst shape in comparison to all his other UFC fights.

Easy to believe him just based on how he looked physically, like I said, on fight night.

Glover is an elite grappler and a very legit 2nd degree BJJ BB.

What was his excuse vs Jones when he went 0 for 5 on takedowns, was bullied in the clinch and was taken down 3 times himself?

Glover has never outgrappled anyone who could wrestle worth a damn.

Back