Media Glover Teixeira's resilience, snatching victories from the jaws of defeat

i think people are just happy for Glover. and yes, Jon Jones has diminished that much. Jon Jones has never "fought down" to his competition until after he got busted for picos. you think that's a coincidence?
Glover has earned it..... and I'm really trying to figure out the rest ( you might just be right as I- in other words- kind of eluded to)

Never had a doubt.

VIW4lL4.jpg

Santos has always been one dimensional and underwent double knee surgery that kept him out for over a year. Then he caught covid. People were sleeping on Glover because Santos looked good against Jones. Similar to people who slept on Jan because Reyes looked good against Jones.

On paper , at 41, you almost have to give Glover another shot BUT LETS NOT GET things twisted. I really fail to see what y'all were watching. This speaks more to the point of the regression of 205 division. Jon Jones looking pedestrian is what s muddying the waters.
Anthony Smith is/ was a flash in the pan ( if u even want to go that far) . Glover cant take a punch anymore . Am I the only one who watched the fight Saturday? He was put on queer street with every decent blow .Santos should be ashamed of himself and should've never been put in that position. I mean he was gassed, could only hook one leg ( for seconds albeit), was able to turn on his hips what once- twice? The fight wouldve been finished at end of previous round if there were 5 more seconds. He was ready to quit then and he immediately quit when RNC was sunk in the following round.

What the fuck was that ?
Has Jon Jones diminished that much ? or was he literally- not putting any work in- and FIGHTING DOWN to his competition?

Glover needs to stop plagiarizing Tyson. I find it corny and weird....... and I like Glover- good for him and his winning streak. Again, I see alot of sheep and not seeing , exactly , what's in front of them.

Newbe

On paper , at 41, you almost have to give Glover another shot BUT LETS NOT GET things twisted. I really fail to see what y'all were watching. This speaks more to the point of the regression of 205 division. Jon Jones looking pedestrian is what s muddying the waters.
Anthony Smith is/ was a flash in the pan ( if u even want to go that far) . Glover cant take a punch anymore . Am I the only one who watched the fight Saturday? He was put on queer street with every decent blow .Santos should be ashamed of himself and should've never been put in that position. I mean he was gassed, could only hook one leg ( for seconds albeit), was able to turn on his hips what once- twice? The fight wouldve been finished at end of previous round if there were 5 more seconds. He was ready to quit then and he immediately quit when RNC was sunk in the following round.

What the fuck was that ?
Has Jon Jones diminished that much ? or was he literally- not putting any work in- and FIGHTING DOWN to his competition?

Glover needs to stop plagiarizing Tyson. I find it corny and weird....... and I like Glover- good for him and his winning streak. Again, I see alot of sheep and not seeing , exactly , what's in front of them.
I love Glover and I am happy for him but I agree here to an extent, the reason Glover can stick around in the top 5 at 41 is because the division just does not have a lot of fresh blood. They have to scrap together challengers for Jones which is why they give it to guys like Santos and Smith on feeble sinning streaks over meh competition. In fact the video in the OP kind of proves this. A slow plodding fighter in his late 30s and early 40s who consistently gets rocked in the early parts of a fight would be in a career nose dive in the deep divisions like BW, FW, and LW. But at LHW, since he's a decent black belt with decent wrestling, Glover can just fight for top position and smash these guys.

Compared to the entire roster Glover is not an elite grappler, guys like Maia and Durinho and Gunnar are way better. Heck even on the same card Barcelos is a far better grappler. That said, Glover actually has a bigger grappling advantage relative to the rest of his division when compared to those elite grapplers because the overall grappling level in his division is so abysmal. Barcelos showed elite grappling but Taha understood enough BJJ defense to avoid getting finished despite being beat up on the feet and ragdolled on the ground. Even Maia often has to work hard for his finishes as he did against Neil Magny who understood how to use frames and hip escapes to defend or Matt Brown who had Maia on his back most of the fight but knew how to fight hands well enough to survive until the last 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, Glover just needs to get top position on a lot of these guys and he can often just camp there, pound on them a bit, get to mount with little work, and if they give up their backs he can often finish soon after and sometimes he does all this off the first takedown as he did against Misha and Cutelaba. Part of it is conditioning as well, a lot of these LHWs gas quick when forced to work especially if they're not grapplers. When Santos got reversed in the third round you could see he was completely demoralized and didn't fight the choke at all.

I love Glover and I am happy for him but I agree here to an extent, the reason Glover can stick around in the top 5 at 41 is because the division just does not have a lot of fresh blood. They have to scrap together challengers for Jones which is why they give it to guys like Santos and Smith on feeble sinning streaks over meh competition. In fact the video in the OP kind of proves this. A slow plodding fighter in his late 30s and early 40s who consistently gets rocked in the early parts of a fight would be in a career nose dive in the deep divisions like BW, FW, and LW. But at LHW, since he's a decent black belt with decent wrestling, Glover can just fight for top position and smash these guys.

Compared to the entire roster Glover is not an elite grappler, guys like Maia and Durinho and Gunnar are way better. Heck even on the same card Barcelos is a far better grappler. That said, Glover actually has a bigger grappling advantage relative to the rest of his division when compared to those elite grapplers because the overall grappling level in his division is so abysmal. Barcelos showed elite grappling but Taha understood enough BJJ defense to avoid getting finished despite being beat up on the feet and ragdolled on the ground. Even Maia often has to work hard for his finishes as he did against Neil Magny who understood how to use frames and hip escapes to defend or Matt Brown who had Maia on his back most of the fight but knew how to fight hands well enough to survive until the last 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, Glover just needs to get top position on a lot of these guys and he can often just camp there, pound on them a bit, get to mount with little work, and if they give up their backs he can often finish soon after and sometimes he does all this off the first takedown as he did against Misha and Cutelaba. Part of it is conditioning as well, a lot of these LHWs gas quick when forced to work especially if they're not grapplers. When Santos got reversed in the third round you could see he was completely demoralized and didn't fight the choke at all.
Isn't he a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ, with around 9 submission wins? And a former member of the Brazillian national wrestling team?
You're probably underselling him a bit.

The last sentence of your post speaks volumes . Thiago is a super enormous middleweight who can fight at 205- have good results - because HE CAN and speaks more to the state of division than the power he packs behind his punches.

Ground skills aside- Santos is not Rumble . Hell, Santos fights standing agsinst someone with the technical acumen of a Mousasi or an Adesanya- he loses and they're middleweights ( although mousasi has been championed at 205 and hasnt lost an open weight fight). Israel appears to be so good that Vegas has opened him an astonishing-325 favorite over Jan.

This also speaks volumes to the state of the current UFC 205 class.

I absolutely lost my shit during that fight. I thought this fight was gonna be the one where his durability failed him. Getting rocked then dominating then getting dropped and nearly finished to finishing Santos a few seconds later. Absolutely fuck Adesanya vs Jan, Glover should be next and that’s the fight I want to see

<PlusJuan> Give the hardcores what they want. Glover v Jan might not headline a PPV but as a Co Main to Zhang or Nunes for example would be fantastic.

Fk the casuals. Dana gives them Cowboy v Conor for example, now give us what we want for once

Btw, couldnt help but notice " Khanate ". Is that just something you connected to khabib or do you have some particular origin that's in some way shared with nurmagomedov...... just curious cause I'm digging that sherdog moniker.
- very fluid title-

Glover's top position game is a problem. This guy won me as a fan with that recent streak.

Isn't he a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ, with around 9 submission wins? And a former member of the Brazillian national wrestling team?
You're probably underselling him a bit.
Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good grappler and an above average black belt for sure. He's got a good passing game, solid mount where he lands strong GnP, and he has good back control and a good arm triangle which are set up by his ability to get mount and do damage from there. His wrestling is better than most BJJ guys as well.

But compared to the elite grapplers of the lower weight classes I don't think he's anything special and yet he rips through these guys when he gets them on the ground in a way few grapplers do. Subbing guys at LHW who are not good on thee ground doesn't mean as much as subbing them in the lower weight classes where they have better defense and gas tanks. And while his wrestling is good, Brazil is not a wrestling country. Its like being the national BJJ champ of France or something, good but nothing that stands out in the UFC.
Btw, couldnt help but notice " Khanate ". Is that just something you connected to khabib or do you have some particular origin that's in some way shared with nurmagomedov...... just curious cause I'm digging that sherdog moniker.
- very fluid title-
No, a Khanate is a state headed by a Khan. They've had a few in the Caucuses so I thought t was a good alliteration to go with "Khabib"

Lol- I know you are but what am I ?

You must be some punchline to say something like that to someone like me.
Thanks for the laugh-

You are stupid

So much condescending shit written like it was stone written truth, I´m sure you could pick apart Fedor performance in Pride like you did to Glover, when he fought Fujita and Randleman, an overrated HW fighting cans and almost getting finished right?

What a newb

The video missed one of the most important and best ones where Bader rocked him and then he drops him cold.

He's never been the fastest guys and with age, it's getting a worse. He has KO power but he's slow and hittable on the feet. Any younger guy/faster guy is going to light him up and it won't be pretty. If he can get to the ground though, it's another world. It's like the ground and pound version of Damien Maia.

I hope he gets the title shot next. Izzy having 2 good wins MW don't warrant a title shot at LHW. Let Glover get his and Izzy can defend at MW or wait until the Spring.

Glover just needs to stop messing around on the feet and getting it to the ground as soon as possible and I see him beating Jan. I haven't seen anything from Jan that leads me to believe he is much better than Santos on the ground.

His BJJ has saved him so many times. Maybe just go for a TD right away and forget the Tyson imitation. Be the LHW version of WW Maia for these last few fights.

Roberson, Cutelaba, Smith, & Santos all nearly killed Glover in round 1. Cirkunov lit him up too & Bader nearly KO'd him. Crazy how durable he still is considering all that + Rumble, Gust, Jones results

But compared to the elite grapplers of the lower weight classes I don't think he's anything special and yet he rips through these guys when he gets them on the ground in a way few grapplers do. Subbing guys at LHW who are not good on thee ground doesn't mean as much as subbing them in the lower weight classes where they have better defense and gas tanks. And while his wrestling is good, Brazil is not a wrestling country. Its like being the national BJJ champ of France or something, good but nothing that stands out in the UFC.

Grappling in HW/LHW are never as good as lower classes, it's much easier to gas grappling when you are that big. Thiago was coming from surgery we can guess his cardio was not the best and he came back to round 3 after almost getting choked out in round 2. Yet he knocked Glover down, Glover survived and got the reversal, he tapped fast because he had nothing left in his tank.

it was a good fight, trying to shit on LHW based on this fight is stupid. You can pick apart pretty much the best fighters going this route. Glover took down Thiago like it was nothing, props to him

Grappling in HW/LHW are never as good as lower classes, it's much easier to gas grappling when you are that big. Thiago was coming from surgery we can guess his cardio was not the best and he came back to round 3 after almost getting choked out in round 2. Yet he knocked Glover down, Glover survived and got the reversal, he tapped fast because he had nothing left in his tank.

it was a good fight, trying to shit on LHW based on this fight is stupid. You can pick apart pretty much the best fighters going this route. Glover took down Thiago like it was nothing, props to him
We can enjoy the fight, feel happy for Glover, and still acknowledge that the division is a wasteland of talent.

There are two metrics that one could use to judge how deep a division is. The first is how much does a fighter have to do to get a title shot? Look at LW, Khabib needed nine in a row. Charles Oliveira has seven in a row and he's likely at least one or two wins away from a title shot. CDF and Islam Makachev have six in a row and still need one or two more for their title shot. Whereas at LHW Smith got one with a three fight win streak, Santos with four and only three in the division, Gus had two going into the rematch and so on.

The other metric is how good are the guys outside the top 10? Look at the Barcelos-Taha fight, neither guy was ranked in the top 15 and yet it was a high level fight. You never see fights anywhere close to that level at LHW with the guys outside the top 15. Hell, you barely see it with the guys who are ranked.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good grappler and an above average black belt for sure. He's got a good passing game, solid mount where he lands strong GnP, and he has good back control and a good arm triangle which are set up by his ability to get mount and do damage from there. His wrestling is better than most BJJ guys as well.

No, a Khanate is a state headed by a Khan. They've had a few in the Caucuses so I thought t was a good alliteration to go with "Khabib"
I understood the mechanics behind it - I was just wondering about you. Theres such a global central circle that's developed at sherdog . I like " khabib khanate".... it sounds good off the tongue ( and the meaning is in rhythm).

Back