Glover Teixeira vs. Anthony Smith

Glover in his current form is not better than Volkan or Gus, and I dont think he's significantly better than current Shogun either.

Waste of a fight for both guys.
Put Shogun in there with Cutelaba and Krylov in 2019. Spoiler: he doesn't win.

I don't want to be a dick but...none of those wins are all that impressive. You don't earn a top five win by subbing a MW on short notice after he rocks you. The division FINALLY has promising young blood, let him actually face one of these killers. If not Rakic, then Walker or Reyes.
he earned a top 5 by putting together 3 wins in a row (where 1 guy was ranked in Krylov), not because he submitted Karl Roberson, come on that was obvious in my post.

Walker and Reyes both are booked and have their own tests coming up, Rakic can fight Oezdemir, enough of people trying to make a name of Glover, that's BS.

Yeah... and who has Shogun beat in those 4 fights?

Corey Anderson I guess but that fight was terrible and Corey should have won anyways.
Did you even see that fight? Shogun dropped Anderson twice in that fight and all Corey did was hug Shogun against the fence in the last round.

every Corey Anderson fight in which he doesn't get KO'd is terrible, i don't hold it against Shogun and neither should you IMO
as far as the decision is concerned, i'd have to watch it again but i remember Shogun dropping and hurting Anderson, so i guess by damage Shogun won, not a very memorable fight though

Pedro was ranked for some time and people thought highly of him going to the Latifi fight, so let's not act like he's an absolute can now, it was a good win by the legend in Shogun, specially after being hurt early on and coming back later
my point is, Shogun even at this point can be dangerous and crafty, not too be disrespected!
Shogun landed 2 good shots at the end of rounds (IIRC) 1&3 that dropped Anderson but (again, IIRC) Corey wasn't badly hurt. The fight wasn't anything special but the decision was bad.

Pedro had Shogun in trouble.... and he should not be in trouble against the likes of Pedro.
Damn.. even Lil Nog was outstriking him until Shogun went full NCCA Div 1 (pretty smart tho) and grappled his way to a decision.

Shogun have a punchers chance against most guys but his chin is beyond shot and his defense is non existent.
At this point just give him fun matchups but don't push him through the rankings.

IDK. I enjoyed Shogun back in the day but its getting harder to watch.

Put Shogun in there with Cutelaba and Krylov in 2019. Spoiler: he doesn't win.

Cutelaba isnt anything special at all, I dont know why you would assume he'd body Shogun.

Krylov probably beats Rua but he still has hige defensive holes in his game, I wouldn't be shocked if Shogun knocked him out or subbed him.

Reyes maybe, but not Jan. He would only be on a two fight winstreak over MWs coming off of losses.

Corey would have four good wins in a row and Walker would be a hype vehicle, especially if he manages to stop Anderson.

It's not only about the streak though, you also need to look at the ranking. Prior to losing to Santos Jan was on a killer streak so I don't think that should be too much of a setback.

I didn't mean to imply that either Jan or Reyes would necessarily deserve the TS after the next win, but definitely Walker/Anderson winner cannot leapfrog these two. Either go with the rankings or make a title eliminator bout imho.

Shogun landed 2 good shots at the end of rounds (IIRC) 1&3 that dropped Anderson but (again, IIRC) Corey wasn't badly hurt. The fight wasn't anything special but the decision was bad.

Pedro had Shogun in trouble.... and he should not be in trouble against the likes of Pedro.
Damn.. even Lil Nog was outstriking him until Shogun went full NCCA Div 1 (pretty smart tho) and grappled his way to a decision.

Shogun have a punchers chance against most guys but his chin is beyond shot and his defense is non existent.
At this point just give him fun matchups but don't push him through the rankings.

IDK. I enjoyed Shogun back in the day but its getting harder to watch.
look at @ Anderson legs, of course he was hurt lol saved by the bell, Shogun's GNP is no joke and IMO with time would have finished Anderson right here
Mauricio-Rua-dropped-Corey-Anderson-very-end-of-R1-1-1.gif

and Lil Nog is well decorated in boxing (MMA standards), he's a Pan medalist, past Shogun struggling with him isn't something to be ashamed of like you're painting, he could take a punch back then too, it was a decent win.

Glover just fought 3 young and upcoming guys (although Roberson is a MW), enough of having him fighting nothing but prospects man, Rakic can fight Oezdemir or the loser of Weidman/Reyes, idk

Yep. Glover peaked during his KO win over Bader. Since then, he's become slower, more plodding and more predictable each fight. Not surprising considering his age.

Yep. Glover peaked during his KO win over Bader. Since then, he's become slower, more plodding and more predictable each fight. Not surprising considering his age.
that's all true, undeniably so, but he could still beat guys with unproven/suspect ground games like Oezdemir, Walker and Smith
and the 3 win streak he's in justifies a step up (top 5) in competition, in my opinion ofc

that's all true, undeniably so, but he could still beat guys with unproven/suspect ground games like Oezdemir, Walker and Smith and the 3 win streak he's in justifies a step up (top 5) in competition, in my opinion ofc

I can't argue with that. But it shows the sad state of LHW. I wish the UFC could at least bring back Phil Davis, though I'm not a fan and find him pretty boring. But he beat Glover convincingly and is 5 years younger. The idea of Glover possibly earning another title shot is depressing. I have nothing against Glover...but there should be at least 5-7 fighters who can beat him at this point in his career.

glover vs rakic
reyes-weidman winner vs volkan
jan-jacare winner vs smith
shogun vs latifi

Let's see what happens with Reyes/Weidman, Jan/Jacare, & Walker/Anderson. Smith should fight 1 of those winners.

Smith said he is taking the rest of the year off & recently had hand surgery. Glover wants on the Brazil card NOV 16th, give him Volkan, Rakic, or Shogun.

Let's see what happens with Reyes/Weidman, Jan/Jacare, & Walker/Anderson. Smith should fight 1 of those winners.

Smith said he is taking the rest of the year off & recently had hand surgery. Glover wants on the Brazil card NOV 16th, give him Volkan, Rakic, or Shogun.
although not exactly how i'd like to go, that makes sense and sounds good too

Glover in his current form is not better than Volkan or Gus, and I dont think he's significantly better than current Shogun either.

Waste of a fight for both guys.

Gus you're right. Although Volkan? I can't imagine how badly Glover would dominate him on the ground. Volkans only shot it to land a big shot before he gets taken down.

I actually think it the fight to make though.

Gus you're right. Although Volkan? I can't imagine how badly Glover would dominate him on the ground. Volkans only shot it to land a big shot before he gets taken down.

I actually think it the fight to make though.
Volkan's TDD looked good against Latifi though

Not mad at this match up. They are actually similar in many ways. Both tough journeymen who can brawl and have good ground games.

Back