News Glover said he would face Ankalaev in Brazil for the Title, UFC said no they gave it to Jan vs. Ank

He is 43, he is already fought the best fighters of his generation. Even fought one of the scariest monster to ever grace the sport, Rumble Johnson (RIP). I doubt he is scared of any one.

I reckon his actions here suggest otherwise because he ducked Ankalaev. And the nerve to ask them to put the title fight off so he can fight for it in Brazil? Shameful. This man should be cut from the roster immediately!

If he's too old to accept the fight, he should retire or go to Bellator. The UFC ain't got time for ducking.
Then half of the UFC roster should go to Bellator. This is a situation where no fighter involved (Jiri, Jan, Glover, Ankalaev) did anything wrong. Just a tricky situation.

Keep spewing drama though

Then half of the UFC roster should go to Bellator. This is a situation where no fighter involved (Jiri, Jan, Glover, Ankalaev) did anything wrong. Just a tricky situation.

Keep spewing drama though

Glover did everything wrong, by ducking. Dana White should call up Donald Trump to tell Glover he's fired. Trump may be busy becoming POTUS again though so it may be a safer bet to call up Vince McMahon. He should be available.

Is 'Duck'. Because that's exactly what he did to Ankalaev. He's lost all his street cred now. Clearly he's scared, homie.

MJtz.gif

its deeper, Glover did not want to fight such a different style so soon, he wanted Ankalaev but in Brasil with time to train a bit more or Jan in 282.

Rare case of the UFC making the right sporting choice, Ankalaev should have gotten his title shot a long time ago. Based on record it was difficult to argue Jiri should have gotten the title shot in Singapore ahead of Ankalaev. Now with Glover on the verge of retirement and Jiri with a potential career ending injury this could mean Ankalaev has cleaned out his division with a win against Jan before even becoming champ.

TBF it would have been a short notice opponent change for Magomed as well, since Glover and Jan are different styles. Plus Magomed has been training for a 3 rounder against Jan, while Glover has been training for a 5 rounder against Jiri.

Glover would probably have a better chance against Magomed in 2 weeks at UFC 282 instead of in 2 months in Brazil.

Glover should have taken this opportunity. Did Glover really think he would have fared better against a 5 round ready Magomed who has a full camp designed for Glover???

TBF it would have been a short notice opponent change for Magomed as well, since Glover and Jan are different styles. Plus Magomed has been training for a 3 rounder against Jan, while Glover has been training for a 5 rounder against Jiri.

Glover would probably have a better chance against Magomed in 2 weeks at UFC 282 instead of in 2 months in Brazil.

Glover should have taken this opportunity. Did Glover really think he would have fared better against a 5 round ready Magomed who has a full camp designed for Glover???

Glover has no chance against Ankalaev no matter what he does, in the stand up he won't last more than 1 min and his wrestling is probably not good enough to take Ankalaev down. Doesn't matter how much or less he gets to prepare against Ankalaev, he's getting wrecked.

Yeah I feel like he really should've let the dice roll at this point in his career+age. Who the fuck knows if he's ever given the chance to fight for the title again let alone in his very next fight.

Glover has no chance against Ankalaev no matter what he does, in the stand up he won't last more than 1 min and his wrestling is probably not good enough to take Ankalaev down. Doesn't matter how much or less he gets to prepare against Ankalaev, he's getting wrecked.
His chance is very little either way, but I figure fighting a 3 round prep Magomed (who is training for Jan) is a slightly higher chance of a win compared to a 5 round prep Magomed (who would be training for Glover)

Glover said he would face Jan, but the UFC wanted him against Ankalaev. Glover didn't want to face Ankalaev on two weeks notice not having a camp for him and since this is probably his last chance at the title. Thought they would respect it since he has been with the company so long.

The UFC said no, and just moved past him to make the title bout

I'm fine with whatever fight at this point. It's just a placeholder anyways.

I feel for Glover and Jiri. But I'm happy the division is moving on, and Ankalaev is getting a title fight he fooking deserves.

Back