GLORY kickboxing files for bankruptcy, removes top executives

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by MMALOPEZ, Jul 3, 2020.

1. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Very true.
    I always forget just how tiny these guys are. Do you think the gloves are as comparable as they all say?

Mickf likes this.
  2. Loriquero Green Belt

3. SuperLuigi Red Belt

I just realized if ONE goes under the non-Japanese market will be ruled by... Superkombat. Broadcast will be so happy.

UWanaPlayDaGame and RedDawn like this.
  4. Mickf Orange Belt

There are very few one punch ko artists at the weight veeraphol, lakhlin etc fought at whether it be in boxing, mma or muay thai. I have never seen the old black gloves in real life so i don't know if they were filled with foam or horse hair like old boxing gloves. If they were filled with horse hair that hurts more than foam.

5. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

It's not a big difference between 6oz and 4oz, not that much that it would make a punch a KO in 4oz and not a KO in 6oz.

6. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

There would still be Enfusion to save us from Romanian domination.

wtu85 and SuperLuigi like this.
  7. Snubnoze707 High Level

Uh, Superkombat went under already bud. They've shifted to making "Blockbuster Films" aka straight to VHS.

8. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

Not sure if VHS was meant as trolling, but well played.

Snubnoze707 likes this.
  9. PRYMAYTE White Belt

Kickboxing is practically DOA

The fact is all these martial arts and fight sports are barely holding on the MMA underbelly

only boxing still has a leg to stand on entirely due to established gambling Networks and the Olympic dreams of a tiny few keep judo and wrestling on life support in America

10. wtu85 White Belt

It would be a disaster for the lovers of the sport. Apparently Glory made some big mistakes in the beginning by focusing too much on the USA. They were never realy able to find a good heavy-weight USA kickboxing star nor they were able to make the promotion big there. They invested huge amount of money without results. By 2015 they had a 150 M debt. It seems that Glory was never profitable all these years..

My 2 cents on improving Glory would be:
    1. Relocate the focus of the business in Europe where there are still many kickboxing fans. Instead of struggling to be a worldwide organisation, it would be much better to be good regional organisation. This would lead to significant cost-cuttings. Why not organize an event in Romania, where kickboxing is still doing well?? In almoust 10 years Glory did nor organize a single event in Romania. This was a mistake.
    2. Invest more in heavy-weights. The k-1 era was big due to heavy-weights. Now Glory has only a few HW and a handful of good HW fighters. There is still a huge hunger for a good HW match, just look at Rico vs Badr. Ben Sadik had no fights in 2019, WTF?? Fire Abdallah and Tafa. They are not Glory material.
    3. Change the the rules (maybe it is improper to say rules...the correct word would be the aspect of the fights). I never liked fights of 5 rounds where nobody risked anything. Defensive style fighting should be avoided. I didn`t like Doumbee `s fighting style at all as a viewer (as a kickboxer, it is a different story). This style is considered "boring" by the majority of the viewers who want to see big punches, damage and knock outs not evading and running. That is why fighters like Valtellini and Holzken were great to watch! They were very technical but also aggressive. Another good example is Jarayah, although he needs to develop further. He is still young.

11. Crash Lance Purple Belt

What a depressing thread.

I always try to watch as many MMA fights, Kickboxing/Glory/K-1/Muay Thai fights, and Boxing fights as possible.

There's just way too much to watch.

Furthermore, I also have to divide my spare time with matches in the NHL, every organization of Football soccer, Tennis matches, and NFL matches.

12. Snubnoze707 High Level

Let's be real, Glory did a half ass push in the US. They didn't really try to go after recognizable names like MMA stars to draw legit attention. They continued to push fighters from gyms within the Hemmers/Daalder network.

The reason Glory hadn't had the success that it should is because of shit management and guys in suits looking to siphon money off Pierre and inflate their own egos. Much of those millions in losses are in their bank accounts right now.

Glory could never string together a narrative that made the promotion interesting nor was their any logic or reasoning in their matchmaking.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    RedDawn and SOFA KING AWSM like this.
  13. Snubnoze707 High Level

Maybe UFC's underbelly, but MMA promotions not named UFC are in just as shitty of shape. Heck, even the UFC has been hurt significantly in the wallet due to Covid.

14. wtu85 White Belt

Former Glory kickboxer, Gabriel Varga shares his views about what Glory got wrong:

Snubnoze707 likes this.
  15. Blazeblack Purple Belt

Realistically it has largely been the Golden Glory fight show. They definitely could have done more to bring in names that are recognizable to US and mma fans. Mixing in some mma fights could have made it more appealing to mma fans imo. I don’t think it’s necessarily over though, they are at a do or die crossroads. If they sell the brand or have a massive restructuring in management they could find a way to cling on to life. I doubt it though.

RedDawn likes this.
  16. SHAOLINMONK420 Blue Belt

The rules in non muay thai kickboxing have always been complicated and that sucks. even some of the fighters dont know the rules. the japanese refs didnt know what planet they were on. at least kickboxing is starting to grow even lethwei is on fightpass.

17. Tayski Stand-up Fighting

He's right on a lot of points, especially not having solidified their presence in Europe first where there was a bigger demand for their product. They went to the US too soon where there wasn't as much of a demand or as many top fighters.

They could have done better sticking to The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany and the UK for a few years first. This would also have saved a lot of budget on marketing and logistics and not losing as much money on half empty events.

Mickf and RedDawn like this.
  18. SandisLL Brown Belt

Ofc, benilux and surrounding countries are considearbly more promising area for KB/ K-1 than US : in US golden age had this PAK kick boxing and later more MMA took niche + the same boxe remained.
    -
    + europe is not worse place for live gates income than even cali, if properly doing PR and so on.

19. SandisLL Brown Belt

another not bad audience might be Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea with not bad purchasing ability, really not bad, there ofc different clienture etc. Proms should adjust to clients preferences and demands.

20. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I really hate how they managed Glory, maybe it's time to bring back Simon Rutz and the It's Showtime brand..

And show these newbies how to properly run a kickboxing promotion.

Bang Rachan likes this.