GLORY nominated these three fights as candidates for fight of the year 2022:

Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem

upload_2023-1-17_15-29-14.jpeg

Sergej Maslobojev vs Tarik Khbabez

upload_2023-1-17_15-30-35.jpeg

Ertuğrul Bayrak vs Serkan Özçağlayan

upload_2023-1-17_15-33-14.jpeg

What’s your fight of the year 2022?

I personally would’ve liked to see Tyjani Beztati vs Stoyan Koprivlenski be nominated aswell.
Imo that fight is very deserving to be in the finals, so I’ll add that one to the poll

Badr looked like a limp fish in that fight. He had probably already been ko'd hard in sparring leading up to the fight.
I don’t think Badr looked that bad the first 2 rounds. He was very cautious every time Reem closed the distance though, and indeed seemed a bit nervous in those close-range exchanges

I don’t think Badr looked that bad the first 2 rounds. He was very cautious every time Reem closed the distance though, and indeed seemed a bit nervous in those close-range exchanges
He didn't look bad on a technical level, but he looked like he was on shaky legs from the first second of the first round. It's possible that he was just trying to be cautious, but going by the stark difference between how he was performing in his training footage and what we ended up seeing on fight night raised my alarm bells.

He didn't look bad on a technical level, but he looked like he was on shaky legs from the first second of the first round. It's possible that he was just trying to be cautious, but going by the stark difference between how he was performing in his training footage and what we ended up seeing on fight night raised my alarm bells.
You think Badr got KO’d leading up to the fight, resulting in the way he approached Reem come fight night?

You think Badr got KO’d leading up to the fight, resulting in the way he approached Reem come fight night?
Yes, I have nothing to back that up besides the ferocity of his sparring footage. He also looked like he was lean and in shape in camp, he looked a little soft and flabby on fight night. Not a smoking gun, but it's not uncommon to significantly dial back the intensity of a fighter's training after an injury like a concussion.

I'm also not saying that the out come of the fight would have been any different. Badr has been less and less durable in every outing since signing with Glory, not that he wasn't punchy to begin with.

Back