GLORY acquires K-1 video library.

I wonder if that'll affect K-1 videos being available on youtube
now, if Glory close the old K1 youtube account i am gonna be pissed off.
there are a lot of great videos about fighters training, and old school K1 fights.

there are a lot of great videos about fighters training, and old school K1 fights.

They are most likely going to try to monetize this, so yeah, I expect that account to get DMC'd very soon.

i don't understand, the K1 account has fights like this

[YT]PqirbxLNscE[/YT]

that have very little to do with kickboxing but are part of the K1 history.
what about Hero's and the events co promoted with Pride?

Why would you pay money for something (K-1 video rights) and just let them run rampant on the internet for free. That's just dumb.

Expect all the youtube stuff to be shutdown like how the UFC takes down all UFC things. Alot of individual K-1 fighter fan made highlights will be taken down too which is kind of a shame.

[YT]PqirbxLNscE[/YT]

Romanex was the predecessor to K-1 Hero's MMA shows. Not sure which channel it was on but it was a one off show.

That's even worse. So now question remains who gets the TBS and and non-FujiTV videos?.... Is it under Kim, or will it go to someone else who is willing to dish out the money? It seems now K-1's history has been scattered in pieces instead of being under one roof. Please clarify, if you have any input on this.

I don't think GLORY is that wealthy of a company (none of the kickboxing orgs are), so something tells me Kim could have dished out the money to acquire the FujiTV library.

But it isn't just FEG, FujiTV themselves have been kind of scumbags in killing the fighting scene in Japan, starting with their abandonment of PRIDE over mere allegations. And now, selling K-1's video tapes to a foreign company. One would have thought they would atleast try to make an offer for bid to K-1.

This is smart on GLORY's part, but i doubt Viacom has been pushing for it themselves. GLORY however, knows that this video library would do wonders for their deal/show on Viacom. I think that's why they did it.

Too bad FEG couldn't make a deal with SpikeTV or Showtime or any other network for that matter. All they ever did was get a deal on HDnet and Eurosport, two networks that most people don't even watch. Even then it was always the networks who came to K-1, and not FEG/K-1 who went to the networks. Their whole business plan was based on Japan and Korea, they never had anything else, not even a genuine English commentary team; thats why they never released DVDs, which could have been a vital source of revenue. This and their matchmaking is why FEG sucks.

There's a couple ways this could go but if you look at the UFC they basically bought Pride and the Pride video library to bury Pride and so that nobody else could buy them and provide competition.

This is always the problem when a rival buys the competition.

The likely situation right now is you use the K-1 fighter footage for promos like with Aerts, Bonjasky, LeBanner but you don't mention K-1 or blur out the K-1 logo. No reason to promote the competition. So don't expect best of K-1 on Spike TV.

The other benefit is that now K-1 can no longer show a montage of a fighter on their shows. Say if Mirko or Badr fight there will be no footage of them. This is the problem that Dream ran into. All the Pride footage was owned by the UFC so they couldn't use their videos in the promos and had to resort to still photos.

Basically it looks to me like Mike Kim is giving up on the K-1 HW division since Glory has all the fighters anyway and is just going to focus on K-1 Max and so dropped out of the Fuji TV portion of the library.

The only way the K-1 history (for HW) doesn't disappear is if Mike Kim sells the K-1 brand to Glory and then if Glory decides to rebrand themselves as K-1 instead of buying K-1 to bury them like Pride. I'm not sure which direction they would go if that were to happen. I'd prefer them to keep the K-1 brand name and history but ego and pride may make them want to stick with Glory.

I think Glory's strategy needs tweeking though. The US is UFC, WWE and Boxing territory. It's going to be very hard to establish anything here as Zuffa will keep Glory/K-1 out as it has kept many rival fighting organizations out.
That leaves japan as the only other established market but there you would have to use the K-1 brand name because it is very strong.
It's a shame Holland has no $ kickboxing market as that should really be the homebase for the revenue of the Glory org.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqirbxLNscE

The PRIDE co-promotion was the very first Dynamite!! Event. That still has never been released on DVD, so its pretty much in legal limbo on who owns it.

There's a couple ways this could go but if you look at the UFC they basically bought Pride and the Pride video library to bury Pride and so that nobody else could buy them and provide competition.

This is always the problem when a rival buys the competition.

The likely situation right now is you use the K-1 fighter footage for promos like with Aerts, Bonjasky, LeBanner but you don't mention K-1 or blur out the K-1 logo. No reason to promote the competition. So don't expect best of K-1 on Spike TV.

The other benefit is that now K-1 can no longer show a montage of a fighter on their shows. Say if Mirko or Badr fight there will be no footage of them. This is the problem that Dream ran into. All the Pride footage was owned by the UFC so they couldn't use their videos in the promos and had to resort to still photos.

I very much doubt it. That's something only Zuffa did and would do.

All other promotions have always co-promoted, and mentioned each others' accolades. I mean, even Glory is co-promoting with other regional promotions. Even K-1 co-promoted with European promotions, Japanese promotions. Dream co-promoted with Sengoku, etc. Only UFC has ever shunned others, and desperately tried to ensure people not know about their existence.

In the kickboxing realm, not mentioning K-1 is impossible. So if GLORY can mention K-1 as part of their fighters' accolades, they will likely air the footage as well (since they own it).

Basically it looks to me like Mike Kim is giving up on the K-1 HW division since Glory has all the fighters anyway and is just going to focus on K-1 Max and so dropped out of the Fuji TV portion of the library.

That would be ludicrous if thats true. Companies buy other companies and their libraries all the time, even if they dont monetize it. The UFC's bought so many companies, they didn't need to buy WEC or WFA. The WWE has bought dozens of old promotions that died decades ago (SMW, WCCW, AWA), simply because of the historical value.

What makes a brand a 'brand', is its history. Why even buy K-1 if you're not going to utilize that? What value does the 'initials' K-1 have on their own?

The only way the K-1 history (for HW) doesn't disappear is if Mike Kim sells the K-1 brand to Glory and then if Glory decides to rebrand themselves as K-1 instead of buying K-1 to bury them like Pride. I'm not sure which direction they would go if that were to happen. I'd prefer them to keep the K-1 brand name and history but ego and pride may make them want to stick with Glory.

At this point, id actually support a GLORY takeover of K-1 from EMCOM/Mr Kim. Just so they can keep the brand alive and under one roof.

I think Glory's strategy needs tweeking though. The US is UFC, WWE and Boxing territory. It's going to be very hard to establish anything here as Zuffa will keep Glory/K-1 out as it has kept many rival fighting organizations out.
That leaves japan as the only other established market but there you would have to use the K-1 brand name because it is very strong.
It's a shame Holland has no $ kickboxing market as that should really be the homebase for the revenue of the Glory org.

http://www.k-1fans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54424&sid=30ec0ad64404b7ad6a7d6a3e535baeea

Some good ol' promotional drama to livin up the Kickboxing world...

Only USD$140k?! Damn, us Sherdoggers could have all pitched in and bought the video library ourselves LOL!

Mike Kim K1's press release looks false.

Kim's new company did not even acquire the K1 assets a year ago, they stepped in to the shoes of a company called Barbizon (one of Ishii's friends) who had loaned money to K1.

When K1 couldn't repay the loan, Kim's company got the assets that had been pledged as security for the loan, and along with this came the K1 brand AND --- get this -- a box of tapes of the old K1 footage -- but no legal rights to use the footage!

Exactly as DW KHL wrote here earlier, when FEG went bankrupt, it was co-owner of the rights (as it was producer) along with Fuji and TBS. The bankruptcy administrator put the rights up for sale, Glory bid, and Glory won the bidding and acquired the rights. Fuji had to consent. Deal was all done clean by Glory, ratified by a Japanese court.

TBS did not consent to any transfer of the rights, therefore when FEG died, the rights over the TBS broadcasts that lived at FEG died also. Only TBS has those rights now.

I am sure Glory will be killing the k1 youtube streams that use the rights it purchased. Lets see if Kim tries to fight.

Its true, Glory now has the an astonishing kickboxing library -- also the Its Showtime events -- and lets see what they do with it over time.

Kim's new company did not even acquire the K1 assets a year ago, they stepped in to the shoes of a company called Barbizon (one of Ishii's friends) who had loaned money to K1.

When K1 couldn't repay the loan, Kim's company got the assets that had been pledged as security for the loan, and along with this came the K1 brand AND --- get this -- a box of tapes of the old K1 footage -- but no legal rights to use the footage!

Exactly as DW KHL wrote here earlier, when FEG went bankrupt, it was co-owner of the rights (as it was producer) along with Fuji and TBS. The bankruptcy administrator put the rights up for sale, Glory bid, and Glory won the bidding and acquired the rights. Fuji had to consent. Deal was all done clean by Glory, ratified by a Japanese court.

TBS did not consent to any transfer of the rights, therefore when FEG died, the rights over the TBS broadcasts that lived at FEG died also. Only TBS has those rights now.

I am sure Glory will be killing the k1 youtube streams that use the rights it purchased. Lets see if Kim tries to fight.

Its true, Glory now has the an astonishing kickboxing library -- also the Its Showtime events -- and lets see what they do with it over time.

Hmm. Total posts: 1. Interesting.

Why would you pay money for something (K-1 video rights) and just let them run rampant on the internet for free. That's just dumb.

Expect all the youtube stuff to be shutdown like how the UFC takes down all UFC things. Alot of individual K-1 fighter fan made highlights will be taken down too which is kind of a shame.

This is something I never understand. Why in the world do they (UFC) take down fan made highlights of fighters or the promotion / sport in general? It should be good advertising for the sport or specific fighters, I understand why they take out full fights but some highlights are almost art and do nothing but good for UFC / MMA.

Maaaan this sport. I should have started covering Olympic curling.

But with that being said, I know that Bas Boon really put in the work to go after FEG and force them into bankruptcy.

if only boobs was here to tell us how we all know nothing and that K1 is alive and as strong as ever.

This is something I never understand. Why in the world do they (UFC) take down fan made highlights of fighters or the promotion / sport in general? It should be good advertising for the sport or specific fighters, I understand why they take out full fights but some highlights are almost art and do nothing but good for UFC / MMA.
UFC just got youtube scanning all the video's for the word ufc and every video with the word ufc in there gets taken down.

if only boobs was here to tell us how we all know nothing and that K1 is alive and as strong as ever.
LOL

Him and stmarcus shook the spot when the collapse finally took place...

Back