Global Warming "expert" sentenced to 32 months for fraud, says lying was a 'rush'

waiguoren

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
The EPA’s highest-paid employee and a leading expert on climate change was sentenced to 32 months in federal prison Wednesday for lying to his bosses and saying he was a CIA spy working in Pakistan so he could avoid doing his real job.

Beale said he was ashamed of his lies about working for the CIA, a ruse that, according to court records, began in 2000 and continued until early this year.

Beale pled guilty in September to bilking the government out of nearly $1 million in salary and other benefits over a decade. He perpetrated his fraud largely by failing to show up at the EPA for months at a time, including one 18-month stretch starting in June 2011 when he did “absolutely no work,” as his lawyer acknowledged in a sentencing memo filed last week.

When Beale was asked what he was doing when he claimed he was working for the CIA, he said, "I spent time exercising. I spent a lot of time working on my house."

He also said he used the time "trying to find ways to fine tune the capitalist system" to discourage companies from damaging the environment. "I spent a lot of time reading on that," said Beale.

Until he retired in April after learning he was under federal investigation, Beale, an NYU grad with a masters from Princeton, was earning a salary and bonuses of $206,000 a year, making him the highest paid official at the EPA. He earned more money than the agency’s administrator, Gina McCarthy, according to agency documents.

To explain his long absences, Beale told agency officials that he was engaged in intelligence work for the CIA, either at agency headquarters or in Pakistan. At one point he claimed to be urgently needed in Pakistan because the Taliban was torturing his CIA replacement, according to Sullivan.

“Due to recent events that you have probably read about, I am in Pakistan,” he wrote McCarthy in a Dec. 18, 2010 email. “Got the call Thurs and left Fri. Hope to be back for Christmas ….Ho, ho, ho.”

In fact, Beale had no relationship with the CIA at all. Sullivan, the EPA investigator, said he confirmed Beale didn’t even have a security clearance.

“He’s never been to Langley (the CIA’s Virginia headquarters),” said Sullivan. “The CIA has no record of him ever walking through the door.”

Source

Beale took 33 airplane trips between 2003 and 2011, costing the government $266,190. On 70 percent of those, he traveled first class and stayed at high end hotels, charging more than twice the government’s allowed per diem limit. But his expense vouchers were routinely approved by another EPA official, a colleague of Beale’s, whose conduct is now being reviewed by the inspector general, according to congressional investigators briefed on the report.

By the way, this isn't news. It's 3 years old. Just surprised I hadn't heard about it before.

Trump gonna drain the swamp out of the EPA.

I thought they backed off that phrase? The EPA is definitely heading for a 180 with the person he named to it.

I can admit i would do that if i thought i would get away with it.

Seriously, a CIA spy? His boss bought that?

Lol @ "leading expert in climate change"

In 1989, Mr. Beale was hired as a full-time EPA employee in the position of Senior Policy Advisor, at a pay grade of GS-15.
He was brought on with the EPA primarily through his relationship with Robert Brenner, who was then deputy director of the Office of Air and Radiation at the EPA. Brenner and Beale were classmates together at Princeton. Previously, Beale had no experience dealing with environmental issues, but was seen as a good negotiator and had some experience dealing with Congress from his internship during college.

This guy took advantage of the EPA and was getting paid to do fuck all on the taxpayer's dime, and what you take out of this story is that this is some kind of proof that man made climate change isn't real?

Lol @ "leading expert in climate change"

This guy took advantage of the EPA and was getting paid to do fuck all on the taxpayer's dime, and what you take out of this story is that this is some kind of proof that man made climate change isn't real?

That's what I thought this thread would devolve into. Thus far it hasn't but hey there's still time.

Assume the right will take advantage of any malfeasance, real or otherwise, to further their narrative, supported or otherwise (mostly this), and you'll never be surprised.

Sounds like the managers at the EPA are the ones that need to be fired. No one noticed he wasn't showing up to work? And the ones that did believed his CIA story? They should be fired for being fucking morons.

This reminds me of that Spanish government worker who didn't go to work and it took them 6 years to notice that.

So this has what to do with what?

A government employee skipped out on his duties...shocking!

Yet you made the title seem like it had something to do with climate change...and the actual content didn't at all.

Thanks for wasting my time

So this has what to do with what?

A government employee skipped out on his duties...shocking!

Yet you made the title seem like it had something to do with climate change...and the actual content didn't at all.

Thanks for wasting my time
The title is copied from CBS News. Blame them.

"Let's raise taxes so the government can do everything for us"

The government is so bad with money, I'm not even 1% surprised

Drain the swamp

"Let's raise taxes so the government can do everything for us"

The government is so bad with money, I'm not even 1% surprised

Drain the swamp
Listen to the right wingers on this forum, clearly the Donald is draining the swamp by keeping all the top Republicans around AND appointing the biggest corporations in the world (LITERALLY) into the oval office. What a revolutionary :rolleyes:

qhifohpc-informant_635x400.jpg

Listen to the right wingers on this forum, clearly the Donald is draining the swamp by keeping all the top Republicans around AND appointing the biggest corporations in the world (LITERALLY) into the oval office. What a revolutionary :rolleyes:

you dont want the most successful businessmen in the world?

who do you want? politicians? less successful businessmen?

Back