Glenn Greenwald Charged With "Cyber Crimes" in Brazil

Some of those tweets just point out, once again, how nuts many people are:

How the hell does Glenn Greenwald give comfort to white supremacy? The bubble of feedback that these people live in, is just ludicrous. That dude is an actual professor, too.

Greenwald's probably the last guy on the entire planet that gives comfort to a white supremacist. Gay, far-left, married to a Brazilian dude, constant thorn on the side of right-wing governments. So why is that? Because he called out the Russia investigation for the ultimately pointless bullshit that it was? Shame on him for calling it like it was.

Some people's idiocy just knows no bounds. I can just imagine a KKK guy in a hood or a Neo-Nazi looking forward to Greenwald's reporting. That's their go-to guy when they want to feel comfortable about their world-view.

He's claiming that Greenwald appearing on Fox News/Tucker Carlson Tonight is giving comfort to white supremacists. Idiotic argument, I know.

Yeah. That's how the far right acts. Corruption, and attack those who expose corruption
as opposed to the clintons and the far left who just kill you.

see epstein for details

He's claiming that Greenwald appearing on Fox News/Tucker Carlson Tonight is giving comfort to white supremacists. Idiotic argument, I know.

hi Jackie,

i admire some of the work that Mr. Greenwald has done. i think most folks do.

the thing that bothers me about Glenn is the same thing that bothered me about Wikileaks/Assange in 2016.

i get that these entities are "speaking truth to power" and "pulling back the curtain" and all that sort of stuff - but why was does their bright light of inquiry only shine in one direction?

like, "hey Julian, are you going to leak savory bits of internal debate from the RNC and the Trump campaign too?"

- IGIT

Figured that it was about as empty an argument as all that. Left-winger appears on a right-wing platform? Horrible man, burn him at the stake.

Then they wonder why no one can "reach across the aisle" and come up with sensible compromises. Must be those damn white supremacists and Nazis sabotaging such efforts.

hi Jackie,

i admire some of the work that Mr. Greenwald has done. i think most folks do.

the thing that bothers me about Glenn is the same thing that bothered me about Wikileaks/Assange in 2016.

i get that these entities are "speaking truth to power" and "pulling back the curtain" and all that sort of stuff - but why was does their bright light of inquiry only shine in one direction?

like, "hey Julian, are you going to leak savory bits of internal debate from the RNC and the Trump campaign too?"

- IGIT
I don't understand the criticism. Greenwald is pulling punches on one side or another? You're going to have to be more specific than that...

I don't understand the criticism. Greenwald is pulling punches on one side or another? You're going to have to be more specific than that...

heya Jackie Blue,

i don't mean this in a smug way (Franklinstower says i've been mean spirited and unkind in my posting, idk), but have you been reading Mr. Greenwald over the past few years?

i follow him on and off.

my impression is that he's one of those "I'm harder on the Democratic party because i fucking expect more of them!" kinds of journalists. you know what i mean?

its like, "the GOP? the GOP are hopeless, ok? enough said" then he just resumes dumping all over the Democratic party and its evil, neoliberal corruption. Greenwald could barely (it was like extracting teeth) acknowledge that Russia interfered with the 2016 election. its like he can't stand admitting it, lol.

idk, Jackie.

i've stopped reading his stuff, lately.

in a way, he reminds me of Maureen Dowd (from the NYT). Dowd can't complete a thought without circling back to how much she despises Hillary Clinton.

- IGIT

heya Jackie Blue,

i don't mean this in a smug way (Franklinstower says i've been mean spirited and unkind in my posting, idk), but have you been reading Mr. Greenwald over the past few years?

i follow him on and off.

my impression is that he's one of those "I'm harder on the Democratic party because i fucking expect more of them!" kinds of journalists. you know what i mean?

its like, "the GOP? the GOP are hopeless, ok? enough said" then he just resumes dumping all over the Democratic party and its evil, neoliberal corruption. Greenwald could barely (it was like extracting teeth) acknowledge that Russia interfered with the 2016 election. its like he can't stand admitting it, lol.

idk, Jackie.

i've stopped reading his stuff, lately.

in a way, he reminds me of Maureen Dowd (from the NYT). Dowd can't complete a thought without circling back to how much she despises Hillary Clinton.

- IGIT
I'm afraid we view this quite differently. Which is okay. Don't really feel like delving into a long, in depth post about this right now. Take care. :)

Is Glenn Greenwald also the owner/editor of the american version of The Intercept? Because he is a fuckin nazi if he is. That website used to break tons of corruption stories until it turned into an alt left nazi propaganda channel. Every single article praises terrorists and child molesters. Greenwald used to never show a bias for left or right, and then he just turned far left and started printing mass propaganda pieces. Matt Drudge did something similar but not quite to the degree that Greenwald did/does.

as opposed to the clintons and the far left who just kill you.

see epstein for details

This post is so dumb what type of response can you give? This is the mind of the average right wing fox viewer.

Everything you said is pure nonsense without a shred of proof anywhere.

Last edited:
A lot of people were tweeting like that today. It's gross.

ahoy Homer,

i'm going to start feeling guilty.

nobody (at least i think nobody) wants to see Mr. Greenwald hectored and persecuted by the Brazilian government - and Greenwald has done some great and meaningful work as a journalist.

that being said, it seems weird to not take a look at his more recent work over the past three years.

it seems unfair to give Mr. Greenwald a pass because of his work with Mr. Snowden and his excellent writing for Salon years and years ago.

nowadays, one of the Mr. Greenwald's chief gigs is guest appearing on Fox, where he mocks the investigation into Russia's interference with the 2016 election as a "hoax". he's a useful pet, craftily sliding into the seat that Chris Hitchens once occupied (when Hitch performed as the useful lefty pet, put on air to defend President Bush's foreign adventures).
all of this is after the 2016 election, during which Greenwald steadfastly maintained that Hillary Clinton was the worst human being in the history of human beings.

it was Greenwald who (idiotically) went on Fox in the spring of 2019, claiming that Mueller had vindicated Trump (!) and the Democrats had failed, since "they put all their eggs in one basket"...which is absolutely moronic. lol. the Democrats didn't run against President Trump in the midterms, or run on impeachment . they ran on healthcare and took back the House.

some of us have grown weary of Mr. Greenwald's current schtick. we don't want to see him arrested. we don't want to see him jailed. we don't want to see him tortured. we want him to be left alone. we want him to live a long and fulfilling life, and to play lots of tennis, and continue to live in his gated community in South America.

but there is a weariness, when it comes to Mr. Greenwald.

aye.

- IGIT

This post is so dumb what type of response can you give? This is the mind of the average right wing fox viewer.

Everything you said is pure nonsense without a shred of proof anywhere.
i know you are but what am i

Cleaning up Brazil? He'd have an easier time establishing a colony in Mars.

I doubt we will be seeing a non-corrupted Brazil in this century.

Bolsonaro is your basic strongman leader who's strong on crime, but not necessarily strong on financial crime/government corruption, except when it comes to his political rivals (like Putin). Crime is still brutal and violent enough out there, to where many people will turn a blind eye on him for having a hand in their pockets, as long as he keeps sending armed goons to the favelas.

It's only after people can live free of gang crime, that they'll start looking at the crime that their own government is committing.

As long as there's a thug holding a knife at your throat, you're not going to be able to focus on the thug who's pointing a rifle at you from a distance. Low-level criminals tend to be the enablers of high-level ones, despite whatever bullshit about the independence or freedom of the "criminal lifestyle" they might spout.

Great argument for having guns.

We don't need government thugs to fight the street thugs, when we are armed ourselves.

Just go shoot that mother fucker.

Look at the Mormons in Mexico. Guns are illegal, but they got them, and they do a better job protecting themselves than any government thug could.

ahoy Homer,

i'm going to start feeling guilty.

nobody (at least i think nobody) wants to see Mr. Greenwald hectored and persecuted by the Brazilian government - and Greenwald has done some great and meaningful work as a journalist.

that being said, it seems weird to not take a look at his more recent work over the past three years.

it seems unfair to give Mr. Greenwald a pass because of his work with Mr. Snowden and his excellent writing for Salon years and years ago.

nowadays, one of the Mr. Greenwald's chief gigs is guest appearing on Fox, where he mocks the investigation into Russia's interference with the 2016 election as a "hoax". he's a useful pet, craftily sliding into the seat that Chris Hitchens once occupied (when Hitch performed as the useful lefty pet, put on air to defend President Bush's foreign adventures).
all of this is after the 2016 election, during which Greenwald steadfastly maintained that Hillary Clinton was the worst human being in the history of human beings.

it was Greenwald who (idiotically) went on Fox in the spring of 2019, claiming that Mueller had vindicated Trump (!) and the Democrats had failed, since "they put all their eggs in one basket"...which is absolutely moronic. lol. the Democrats didn't run against President Trump in the midterms, or run on impeachment . they ran on healthcare and took back the House.

some of us have grown weary of Mr. Greenwald's current schtick. we don't want to see him arrested. we don't want to see him jailed. we don't want to see him tortured. we want him to be left alone. we want him to live a long and fulfilling life, and to play lots of tennis, and continue to live in his gated community in South America.

but there is a weariness, when it comes to Mr. Greenwald.

aye.

- IGIT
Me not liking someone's reporting or positioning doesn't change my principles, or impact my ethics on matters. I don't care if he did some shit work. I care about freedom of the press, democracy, etc.

I care about freedom of the press, democracy, etc.

ahoy Homer,

aye, as do we all.

as i said; we don't want to see him arrested. we don't want to see him jailed. we don't want to see him tortured. we want him to be left alone. we want him to live a long and fulfilling life, and to play lots of tennis, and continue to live in his gated community in South America.

- IGIT

I would like to clarify a couples of things as someone who was raised in Brazil, has a decent understanding of Brazilian law and is still closely watching Brazil despite hating the place. Here are a few crucial information that are often omitted/ignored/unknown by the international media.

1 - There was no leak
The messages came from an elaborated hacker attack that successfully targeted a number of journalists, police officers, prosecutors, judges, members of the executive and even a few Supreme Court justices cellphones. The hackers were arrested and are facing charges. Hacking members of the executive is considered an attack on national security so they are fucked.​

2 - It's against the law to use, profit, publish or reproduce anything that was illegally obtained.
And no, this doesn't exclude the media. Glenn was directly contacted by one of the hackers and was aware he would be publishing hacked information.
Glenn tried to colab with a few big name journalists before releasing the messages on his website. None, including the most important TV channel (mostly progressive btw) wanted any part of it because of legal implications.​

3 - Judges and prosecutors are one the same side
This is a peculiar thing about the legal system in Brazil. The whole process that makes the trial court involves constant communication between judge and prosecution. This collaboration is fundamental, the State is represented by both the prosecutor and the judge and they work together and are literally side-by-side during the trial. The judge advise the prosecution on how to make the case stronger and is often deeply involved in the cases. That means the content of those messages published by The Intercept Brasil aren't against the rules. They are however not kosher as these communications should be official and never via Telegram. Their mistake was being way too informal but that's more a sign of our times than anything else.
4 - Glenn has a very limited understanding of Brazil
It's actually painful to witness how little he knows, specially regarding politics, laws and the judiciary system. He barely speaks the fucking language and he got himself in deep shit because he's talking about things he doesn't understand.

The following is my opinion so take it as you wish.

There's a famous saying in Brazil that goes like this "This country is not for amateurs". Meaning, if you're naive you're fucked. I don't doubt Glenn believes he's fighting the good fight. I don't doubt for a second he believes Lula is innocent as he claims. It's actually pretty obvious he thinks he's on the right side of history but I'm afraid he's being played like a fiddle. He's either too involved or too naive to see it. He is surrounded by hardcore cult like leftists that defend Lula like he's their god. Even his husband is like that so Glenn's involvement in this case is not a mere coincidence. He's the perfect guy for their dirty work. FFS the hacker only had Glenn's cellphone because the former VP candidate Manuela Davilla (Communist Party) gave it to him. This is a fact btw, there's evidence and admissions that it happened. Imagine Tim Kaine collaborating with the people that hacked FBI investigators, judges, supreme court justices, homeland security staff and so on. The unethical levels of Brazilian left is out of this world, they will do anything to return to power. Glenn is just a pawn, they don't give a shit about him.

2 - It's against the law to use, profit, publish or reproduce anything that was illegally obtained.
And no, this doesn't exclude the media. Glenn was directly contacted by one of the hackers and was aware he would be publishing hacked information.
Glenn tried to colab with a few big name journalists before releasing the messages on his website. None, including the most important TV channel (mostly progressive btw) wanted any part of it because of legal implications.​

hiya SRN,

i'd read in the New Republic that Mr. Greenwald is on tape, directing the hackers as they went about their business.

is this illegal in Brazil? if so, what kind of penalties could Mr. Greenwald face?

and, if it is illegal in Brazil, why did Federal Investigators clear Mr. Greenwald initially?

- IGIT

Last edited:
Back