Glenn Greenwald Charged With "Cyber Crimes" in Brazil

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Federal prosecutors in Brazil on Tuesday charged the American journalist Glenn Greenwald with cybercrimes for his role in bringing to light cellphone messages that have embarrassed prosecutors and tarnished the image of an anti-corruption task force.

In a criminal complaint made public on Tuesday, prosecutors in the capital, Brasília, accused Mr. Greenwald of being part of a “criminal organization” that hacked into the cellphones of several prosecutors and other public officials last year.

Mr. Greenwald, an ardent critic of Brazil’s far right president, Jair Bolsonaro, is a deeply polarizing figure in Brazil, where his work is lionized by leftists and condemned as partisan and heavy handed by officials in the Bolsonaro administration.

The news organization Mr. Greenwald co-founded, The Intercept Brasil, published articles last year based on the leaked cellphone messages that raised questions about the integrity and the motives of key members of Brazil’s justice system.

The articles cast doubt on the impartiality of a former judge, Sérgio Moro, and of some of the prosecutors who worked on a corruption investigation that landed several powerful political and business figures in prison.

Among those charged in connection with the corruption investigation was a former president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, a popular leftist whose conviction paved the way for the election of Mr. Bolsonaro. Mr. Moro was the judge who handled that case, and he is now Mr. Bolsonaro’s minister of justice.

The case raises concerns among journalists and advocates for a free press because journalists often rely on confidential or leaked information, sometimes obtained by whistle-blowers or hackers.

In fact, Mr. Greenwald has been part of a team that won some of the most important prizes in journalism — the George Polk Award and the Pulitzer Prize for public service — for his role in reporting on documents describing government surveillance that were passed on to him by Edward J. Snowden, a former contractor with the National Security Agency of the United States who later faced espionage charges in connection with the leak.

In a statement Mr. Greenwald called the charges “an obvious attempt to attack a free press in retaliation for the revelations we reported about Minister Moro and the Bolsonaro government.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/world/americas/glenn-greenwald-brazil-cybercrimes.html

giphy.gif

A lot of us have expected that Glenn would be prosecuted/persecuted in Brazil by the Bolsonaro Administration. Still, it's sad to see and I can only admire his bravery. This should shatter any illusions that Bolsonaro and the far right are pro-free speech and free press.

Thats too bad. He is one of the few that are willing to expose anything.

Yeah. That's how the far right acts. Corruption, and attack those who expose corruption

Federal prosecutors in Brazil on Tuesday charged the American journalist Glenn Greenwald with cybercrimes for his role in bringing to light cellphone messages that have embarrassed prosecutors and tarnished the image of an anti-corruption task force.

In a criminal complaint made public on Tuesday, prosecutors in the capital, Brasília, accused Mr. Greenwald of being part of a “criminal organization” that hacked into the cellphones of several prosecutors and other public officials last year.

Mr. Greenwald, an ardent critic of Brazil’s far right president, Jair Bolsonaro, is a deeply polarizing figure in Brazil, where his work is lionized by leftists and condemned as partisan and heavy handed by officials in the Bolsonaro administration.

The news organization Mr. Greenwald co-founded, The Intercept Brasil, published articles last year based on the leaked cellphone messages that raised questions about the integrity and the motives of key members of Brazil’s justice system.

The articles cast doubt on the impartiality of a former judge, Sérgio Moro, and of some of the prosecutors who worked on a corruption investigation that landed several powerful political and business figures in prison.

Among those charged in connection with the corruption investigation was a former president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, a popular leftist whose conviction paved the way for the election of Mr. Bolsonaro. Mr. Moro was the judge who handled that case, and he is now Mr. Bolsonaro’s minister of justice.

The case raises concerns among journalists and advocates for a free press because journalists often rely on confidential or leaked information, sometimes obtained by whistle-blowers or hackers.

In fact, Mr. Greenwald has been part of a team that won some of the most important prizes in journalism — the George Polk Award and the Pulitzer Prize for public service — for his role in reporting on documents describing government surveillance that were passed on to him by Edward J. Snowden, a former contractor with the National Security Agency of the United States who later faced espionage charges in connection with the leak.

In a statement Mr. Greenwald called the charges “an obvious attempt to attack a free press in retaliation for the revelations we reported about Minister Moro and the Bolsonaro government.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/world/americas/glenn-greenwald-brazil-cybercrimes.html

giphy.gif

A lot of us have expected that Glenn would be prosecuted/persecuted in Brazil by the Bolsonaro Administration. Still, it's sad to see and I can only admire his bravery. This should shatter any illusions that Bolsonaro and the far right are pro-free speech and free press.
Haha, I so was going to use the Diaz gif. Would give a like but like privileges are on lockdown with my double yellow attire ;)

Seriously, is anyone surprised? It is truly terrifying that we live in times where real journalism is considered criminal. Only thru the Hegelian Dialectic and team politics have people like Assange been able to be silenced and thrown in jail. Greenwald was always skating on thin ice. A shame they finally got him.

Let's be real, we ALL knew 2020 was going to be the year big changes were rolled out too prevent another 2016.

The guy is too brave for his own good. I’ve been legit concerned for his safety.

Wish they'd have picked a target I was more excited to stand up for. This is like when the public defender has to straighten his tie and insist on a fair trial for a NAMBLA president.

They should not have charged Greenwald with cyber crimes. That was the wrong thing to do.

Wish they'd have picked a target I was more excited to stand up for. This is like when the public defender has to straighten his tie and insist on a fair trial for a NAMBLA president.

They should not have charged Greenwald with cyber crimes. That was the wrong thing to do.
Would you mind stating what exactly your problem with Greenwald is? Anyway, I appreciate that you recognize and acknowledge the charges are bullshit, though.

i dont agree with most of his political leanings but glenn is actually a legit journalis

Sounds legit... And when i say legit, I mean corrupt Trumped up charges meant to silence him..

Last edited:
Pretty weird because i was told Bolsanaro was cleaning up Brazil?

Pretty weird because i was told Bolsanaro was cleaning up Brazil?

Cleaning up Brazil? He'd have an easier time establishing a colony in Mars.

I doubt we will be seeing a non-corrupted Brazil in this century.

Bolsonaro is your basic strongman leader who's strong on crime, but not necessarily strong on financial crime/government corruption, except when it comes to his political rivals (like Putin). Crime is still brutal and violent enough out there, to where many people will turn a blind eye on him for having a hand in their pockets, as long as he keeps sending armed goons to the favelas.

It's only after people can live free of gang crime, that they'll start looking at the crime that their own government is committing.

As long as there's a thug holding a knife at your throat, you're not going to be able to focus on the thug who's pointing a rifle at you from a distance. Low-level criminals tend to be the enablers of high-level ones, despite whatever bullshit about the independence or freedom of the "criminal lifestyle" they might spout.

Last edited:

Would you mind stating what exactly your problem with Greenwald is? Anyway, I appreciate that you recognize and acknowledge the charges are bullshit, though.

Some of those tweets just point out, once again, how nuts many people are:

How the hell does Glenn Greenwald give comfort to white supremacy? The bubble of feedback that these people live in, is just ludicrous. That dude is an actual professor, too.

Greenwald's probably the last guy on the entire planet that gives comfort to a white supremacist. Gay, far-left, married to a Brazilian dude, constant thorn on the side of right-wing governments. So why is that? Because he called out the Russia investigation for the ultimately pointless bullshit that it was? Shame on him for calling it like it was.

Some people's idiocy just knows no bounds. I can just imagine a KKK guy in a hood or a Neo-Nazi looking forward to Greenwald's reporting. That's their go-to guy when they want to feel comfortable about their world-view.

hiya Fawlty,

lol.

those were my thoughts exactly.

still....Glenn's heart is ultimately (ultimately, ultimately, ultimately) in the right place. Greenwald thinks Jimmy Carter was a bad human being for selling arms to Indonesia, lol. he doesn't really like anyone in US politics.

i put Greenwald on the same bookshelf as Chomsky - though i find Greenwald's current fetish of dumping all over anything related to the Democratic party a little tiresome. Noam is kind of fun to read.

- IGIT

Back