1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Glen Johnson Replaces Injured Mikkel Kessler

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by 11b83, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

Glen Johnson replaces Mikkel Kessler (injury) in Super Six - ESPN

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Former light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson is joining the Super Six World Boxing Classic, replacing injured Mikkel Kessler, Showtime announced Wednesday.

Johnson, 41, has not fought at super middleweight since 2000, but will drop down to the 168-pound weight class to face Allan Green in a Group Stage 3 bout on Nov. 6. The fight will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on the undercard of the Juan Manuel Lopez-Rafael Marquez featherweight title fight.

The other two Group Stage 3 bouts are scheduled for a Nov. 27 split-site doubleheader with Andre Ward defending his belt against 2004 U.S. Olympic teammate Andre Dirrell at an American site to be determined and Carl Froch facing Arthur Abraham in Helsinki, Finland.

Ward has already secured a spot in the semifinals of Showtime's six-man modified round-robin tournament, but the five other fighters all remain alive based on the way points are earned -- three for a knockout win, two for a win and one for a draw.

Johnson (50-14-2, 34 KOs) will enter with no points and Green (29-2, 20 KOs), himself a replacement for Jermain Taylor, who dropped out after Group Stage 1, also has no points. However, the Johnson-Green winner can advance only with help from results in the other two bouts.

Kessler, who was supposed to fight Green, dropped out in late August because of an eye injury. He exits the tournament 1-1 with two points.

Johnson's one of those gritty fighters who comes to fight. I don't know how the drop to 168lb will effect him.

2. KOQ24

KOQ24 Gold Belt

It's a decent replacement.
    Glen is tough and imo a better Boxer than Allan Green

3. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

damn, he might have a problem getting to that weight, but whatever.

4. TexasDrugAddict**

TexasDrugAddict** Silver Belt

Not a bad replace but not the Best. Glenn will struggle making wieht. I wish they would have just moved on to the Semis.

5. totalstranga

totalstranga Ike Turner Backhand Belt

holy shit thats crazy. how can Glencoffee get enough points to make it to the semi's though? does he have to kill Green in the ring? still props to him for stepping up, proving once again why he is The Road Warrior

6. deadpool

deadpool H***an Chop!!

This won't be good for Glen Johnson.

7. wallyboxngvsmma

wallyboxngvsmma Green Belt

I think Jonhnson is better than Green 'even now' 'but will see.

8. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

let's face it, it is unlikely that either Johnson or Green will advance. So I look at it as an usual one-off fight.

in that context, it looks fine to me. Johnson may have slowed down and I have real doubts about him cutting to 168, but he is tough as fuck and is always shows up. If Green can't look good against a slimmed down Johnson who is fairly slow at this stage of his career, he won't be going anywhere

9. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Not sure who would have been a better replacement given the circumstances...

10. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

Johnson cutting to 168 will definitely level the playing field for Green

Dawson always came light for his fights, he could have been another option, anyway, should be fun!

11. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

I think Johnson can beat Green and Froch, but against the more skilled and speedy guys like Dirrell and Ward would be asking too much of him. Now a fight against Abraham would be entertaining , that to me would be a toss up.

12. ThirdPartyView

Doubtful, since he got a nasty cut in the Pascal fight and wanted to wait out until he could rematch Pascal under his rematch clause (or possibly face Hopkins if he wins).

13. Lazy Man

Lazy Man Heavyweight Champion of the World

I think is just a 4+2 now... where Johnson/Green is another fight to show, but won't actually affect the tourney outcome; correct me if I'm wrong.

14. TexasDrugAddict**

I would have prefered Bika over anybody else. I know Bute has a fight schuled and he is a HBO fighter, so there was no chance for him to cone in.

15. ThirdPartyView

Bika turned down the opportunity because his father (?) died a week or two ago and he's grieving. Also, he turned down an eliminator fight vs. Green previously.

16. TexasDrugAddict**

Oh ok,i hadn't heard that about Bika. I remembering him turning down Green the first time but I thought he would have taking a shot a him now.