Gleison Tibau drops appeal, accepts 2 year suspension for EPO

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by jei, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/ufc-li...-drop-usada-appeal-accept-two-year-punishment

UFC lightweight Gleison Tibau expects to drop the appeal of two positive drug tests stemming from his most recent fight, he told MMAjunkie. In doing so, he will accept a likely two-year suspension from the UFC’s anti-doping partner, USADA.

“I’ll take the minimum punishment under the new rules, which is a two-year suspension,” he said today. “So I’ll take the two years.”

According to the UFC’s anti-doping policy, athletes who are found to have committed an anti-doping violation face a two-year suspension for an “non-specified substance or prohibited method” and a one-year suspension for a specified substance. Up to two years can be added to a sentence where “aggravating circumstances” are present. They also risk a disqualification of bout results “including, without limitation, forfeiture of title, ranking, purse or other compensation.”

After news broke of the positive tests, Tibau released a statement in which he revealed he tested positive for recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), but indicated he was innocent and would investigate USADA’s findings.

But today, he said USADA asked him whether he wanted to continue his appeal or stop the process, which prompted his decision to end his appeal.

Tibau did not divulge any additional details on USADA’s communication or what led to the request, but he said the cost of the appeal process prompted his change of heart.

“It won’t do any good to spend all this money, to simply reduce the penalty by three to six months,” he said. “It’s not worth it. The expense is too great to try to appeal this. So I think I’ll end it now.

2. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

I bet he'll still hold his all time most fight records even after 2 years away.

3. jei

I wonder if he didn't want the appeal to qualify as "aggravating circumstances", even though it would violate his due process among other things if an appeal by itself increased the suspension amount.

4. The real JG

The real JG Banned Banned

Good riddance. Never understood keeping a guy on the under card for 25 fights.

Gyro likes this.
  5. RondaDrowsy

RondaDrowsy Banned Banned

lol at Tibau insinuating that he's stopping the appeal because of money issues and not the fact that he's blatantly on gear and got caught red handed

hydro481, Jin Akutsu, hitcher and 6 others like this.
  6. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

He says himself the cost of the appeal process changed his mind. Seems like a legit reason. It'd be super fucked if appealing counts as aggravating circumstances. I really doubt that's the case. Aggravating circumstances are like lying, tampering with the sample, submitting fake sample, etc.

Mongoosemk12 likes this.
  7. Mongoosemk12

Mongoosemk12 Blue Belt

I wouldn't think an appeal would count at "aggravated circumstances". You have a right to appeal any legal decision if you believe the results to be false. You just have to pony up all the money for that up front and it sounds like the hearing will costs more than the 3-6 months of time or one fight purse.

8. MVP89

MVP89 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Just watched his fights with Ferguson and Johnson lol. Anyone else go back and watch the cheaters most brutal losses when they finally get caught?

9. SherdogJoe

SherdogJoe Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It's so obvious he's guilty. They say stupid shit like "I fight professionally for 16 years and was never in this situation." which is tippy toe-ing around saying "I didn't do it".

If a guy was really innocent he'd be saying shit like "I swear to god and on my children's life I never took anything/intentionally took anything" but they never say shit like that because they can't bring themselves to be that big of a bold-faced liar. Clearly guilty if you ask me.

Gyro likes this.
  10. Old Jewish Lady

Old Jewish Lady Green Belt

dude was too jacked

11. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

Just like in prison they're all innocent, eh?

chitoortiz likes this.
  12. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

Always kinda liked Gleison. End of a strong UFC career.

13. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

Damn.

USADA isn't fucking around.

14. IBack666

IBack666 Blue Belt

If only Gay Jesus would follow suit and indirectly confess like Tibau just did

15. baba2008

baba2008 Brown Belt

I find it particularly amusing when someone says they are innocent after popping for stuff that's injectable. Pretty hard to argue about ingesting those substances, but they still do.

16. jei

That's the thing, it's hard to accidentally take EPO, as far as I know. Maybe someone like Dim can tell me otherwise, but I don't think it's one of those "oops it fell into my bottle of gnc protein whey powder at the factory" situations.

17. JollyRants

JollyRants Guest

Screenshot_1706.png rafael cavalcante is a perfect example of that, since he got caught he come in 1 - 4 he can't seem to win since. he went from strikeforce lhw champion that beat incredible fighters like king mo, Yoel romero, to barely scraping a win together.

18. Pacemaker Joe

Pacemaker Joe Silver Belt

I wonder if it was actually EPO or not. Novitzky mentioned this when he was on JRE:
    http://cyclingtips.com/2015/07/oxyg...rts-doping/comment-page-1/?curator=MediaREDEF

There was also a report that he failed for a second substance on one of the two tests, we'll see what the USADA release says in a day or so probably.

19. Pacemaker Joe

Pacemaker Joe Silver Belt

Check my sig if you want a list to start with.

20. Darwinambrosius

Darwinambrosius Thought you had a friend, boy?

So he's done for good basically?