Gladiator Herpes....

If I was to get the herps, I woudl want it to be Gladiator herpes, then I could yell "THIS IS HERPES" ala 300 movie

If I was to get the herps, I woudl want it to be Gladiator herpes, then I could yell "THIS IS HERPES" ala 300 movie

hahaha thats fucken hilarious but probably doesnt make TS feel to good

if anyone else has any questions pertaining to this topic, I would be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

What kind of material does the virus permeate through. I suppose something like a T-shirt would do almost no good.

For example if you wore an outfit like this could you still get Herpes?

snakeeyes2.jpg

While we are on this topic...

It baffles some scientists that not just HSV, but other herpes type viruses such as herpes zoster(chickenpox) and EBV(mono) are so widely spread in the human population. Not just this, but how they manage to evade the immune system in such a clever manner to produce life long infection. Some evolutionary biologists have postulated that these viruses, specifically HSV actually gave early human and non human primates resistance to other more dangerous infectious diseases, hence why over evolution those with HSV infections MAY have been more fit then the rest. In essence the virus was "allowed" to camp out in humans in the nervous system(and thus being able to produce life long symptoms) and from there learnt the perfect ways to avoid the human immune response. This would potentially explain why a fairly large part of the human genome is nothing but ancient viral DNA. A symbiotic relationship of the sort between humans and viruses. Of course this not proven, just a cool little theory.

What kind of material does the virus permeate through. I suppose something like a T-shirt would do almost no good.

For example if you wore an outfit like this could you still get Herpes?

snakeeyes2.jpg

The virus is transmitted from skin to skin contact. It can't actively penetrate clothing.

Once again, thanks for the information Dr. Andrews.

Hmm...

Seems to me the doctor just made a compelling case for getting tested, and staying away from grappling if you're HSV-antibody negative. Kind of the opposite of what I proposed, but what the hell, it achieves the same end.

Grappling/wrestling/BJJ for the HSV + only? Sure, why not? And for the rest if they want to grapple, as long as they fully understand the risks, they should follow their desire and roll.

The problem is that most of those HSV-negatives who join up are unaware of the risk from the sport, and never think that their health could be affected by this or any other skin disease. They deserve to be informed.

I guarantee the other 32% of the population wouldn't be too thrilled about the prospects of getting herpes from this sport, no matter how much fun BJJ can be.

The virus is transmitted from skin to skin contact. It can't actively penetrate clothing.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. If someone has an active genital sore, and rolls about in tight quarters in a sweaty gi, you're telling me they can't transmit it to me?

So what do you think of these studies? Seems to me the virus is rather hardy. I would argue it's logical that in the context of a rolling session, that the virus can be transmitted by other than skin to skin contact:

JAMA -- Abstract: Survival of Herpes Simplex Virus in Water Specimens Collected From Hot Tubs in Spa Facilities and on Plastic Surfaces, December 9, 1983, Nerurkar et al. 250 (22): 3081

Herpes Simplex Virus survival on fabrics and its

Survival of herpes simplex virus during cryosurger...[J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1986] - PubMed Result

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. If someone has an active genital sore, and rolls about in tight quarters in a sweaty gi, you're telling me they can't transmit it to me?

So what do you think of these studies? Seems to me the virus is rather hardy. I would argue it's logical that in the context of a rolling session, that the virus can be transmitted by other than skin to skin contact:

JAMA -- Abstract: Survival of Herpes Simplex Virus in Water Specimens Collected From Hot Tubs in Spa Facilities and on Plastic Surfaces, December 9, 1983, Nerurkar et al. 250 (22): 3081

Herpes Simplex Virus survival on fabrics and its

Survival of herpes simplex virus during cryosurger...[J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1986] - PubMed Result

Is that a fact, doctor?

Seriously dude you could not have gotten owned any worse than you did in this thread. You just need to go away now and keep what little dignity you have left.

Is that a fact, doctor?

Seriously dude you could not have gotten owned any worse than you did in this thread. You just need to go away now and keep what little dignity you have left.

You are still as dense as a lead brick.

I have an MS in Exercise Phys, and a BS in Biology. I also have 36 hours towards a Phd in Human Kinesiology. I have also taught kinesiology classes on a collegiate level.

Where are your qualifications?

Put up, or shut up.

Dude.

Hello Sohan

First let me say I appreciate your opinion on this matter, and very much enjoy learning about your point of view as it pertains to this matter.

First I proposed that analogy of only HSV+ people being able to grapple to address my point. We need proper education on these matters, and as adults, we can make informed decisions. Not only with respect to infectious disease but also other issues such as injuries ect. We all take risks in this sport as we do in life. We do not need anyone to forfeit their choices. Like I said earlier, dentists with herpes whitlow are not simply told to not practice dentistry ever again, they are simply told to wear gloves. You get me?

And with respect to those abstracts, yes I am well aware of those facts they presented. I was going to mention fomites as potential reservoirs of viral particles, but the general consensus is while these are indeed potential avenues of transmission, they are low risk.

And like I said before, the virus must contact the host's skin in order to attach to surface receptors, other wise it can't. Their open sore must touch your skin. Or if we are talking about a fomite, viral particles from the fomite must make contact with your skin. If one's gi is infectious, wash it after every practice.

and to anyone who is watching, Fomite= a infectious inanimate object such as a surgical tool or a cup that contains infectious organisms on it.

And for the record, I would rather be exposed to HSV and put up with having a coldsore once every few years, rather than a ACL tear, or another serious bodily injury. Not to belittle this cause, as it is important, but there are worse things that could happen to you in grappling.

You are still as dense as a lead brick.

I have an MS in Exercise Phys, and a BS in Biology. I also have 36 hours towards a Phd in Human Kinesiology. I have also taught kinesiology classes on a collegiate level.

Where are your qualifications?

Put up, or shut up.

Dude.

None of which are medical degrees or even a doctorate in science. That means you are not a doctor of medicine or even anything else. Yet you seem to have no problem disagreeing completely with logic and almost the entire medical community.

Most of my qualifications (martial arts and academic) have been posted here before several times if you are truly interested. It's not that hard to find.

I even felt a tiny bit bad about calling you out on being a bitch earlier, but definitely now I don't feel bad at all. You are without a doubt one of the biggest bitches I have ever known to train martial arts. Maybe not the biggest bitch ever, but definitely in the top ten all time bitches.

I've only been doing BJJ for about 5 years now, but I've been in martial arts for 19 years. The people on this board who know me realize just how big of a bitch it takes to be in my top ten all time bitches.

You know what sucks way worse than cold sores? Being a giant bitch like yourself. At least the cold sores are only a problem every now and then.

Now I've really said all I need to say. Enjoy your non-grappling life. I have a feeling you won't be missed too much with your attitude.

None of which are medical degrees or even a doctorate in science. That means you are not a doctor of medicine or even anything else. Yet you seem to have no problem disagreeing completely with logic and almost the entire medical community.

Most of my qualifications (martial arts and academic) have been posted here before several times if you are truly interested. It's not that hard to find.

I even felt a tiny bit bad about calling you out on being a bitch earlier, but definitely now I don't feel bad at all. You are without a doubt one of the biggest bitches I have ever known to train martial arts. Maybe not the biggest bitch ever, but definitely in the top ten all time bitches.

I've only been doing BJJ for about 5 years now, but I've been in martial arts for 19 years. The people on this board who know me realize just how big of a bitch it takes to be in my top ten all time bitches.

You know what sucks way worse than cold sores? Being a giant bitch like yourself. At least the cold sores are only a problem every now and then.

Now I've really said all I need to say. Enjoy your non-grappling life. I have a feeling you won't be missed too much with your attitude.

Right. So you're saying you have no credentials.

Shh. Big people are talking now.

Hello Sohan

First let me say I appreciate your opinion on this matter, and very much enjoy learning about your point of view as it pertains to this matter.

First I proposed that analogy of only HSV+ people being able to grapple to address my point. We need proper education on these matters, and as adults, we can make informed decisions. Not only with respect to infectious disease but also other issues such as injuries ect. We all take risks in this sport as we do in life. We do not need anyone to forfeit their choices. Like I said earlier, dentists with herpes whitlow are not simply told to not practice dentistry ever again, they are simply told to wear gloves. You get me?

And with respect to those abstracts, yes I am well aware of those facts they presented. I was going to mention fomites as potential reservoirs of viral particles, but the general consensus is while these are indeed potential avenues of transmission, they are low risk.

And like I said before, the virus must contact the host's skin in order to attach to surface receptors, other wise it can't. Their open sore must touch your skin. Or if we are talking about a fomite, viral particles from the fomite must make contact with your skin. If one's gi is infectious, wash it after every practice.

Thanks for your response.

I appreciate that we both agree that education to provide grapplers with the knowledge to make an informed decision is crucial. My concern is the cavalier attitude taken by many, as you can see on the pages of this thread. You made some excellent suggestions on containment and reducing risk, but considering the average age of today's grappler it is understandable why those suggestions are unlikely to be heeded. What makes it worse is that when figures like the 68% are thrown around, it makes many feel that since we all seem to be destined to contract the virus anyway, why bother to try to prevent its spread?

If we are still having as much trouble getting young people to wear simple condoms to prevent STD's, do we really think we're going to have an easy time of getting them to take all the necessary precautions to avoid HSV transmittal? I have seen plenty of grapplers leave without showering, show up to practice with dirty gis, and by far the worst, train with open sores. And its even worse in nogi practice, where for most people, more skin is exposed. The last straw for me was a guy who showed up with both a cold sore AND a ringworm infection. He didn't know the cold sore was herpes (?) and he wasn't aware he had a ringworm rash. Scary. And I trained at a top gym!

BTW, in response to the question about whether you'd rather have a devastating BJJ injury or herpes, I've had both, and if I had it over, I wouldn't want either. Doesn't mean we can't try to reduce their risk the best we can.

Thanks again for taking the time to post here. I enjoyed talking with you.

Well, when I was on the wrestling team In university and majoring in microbiology as a undergrad, I insisted on giving the "hygiene" talk every year. Oddly enough, it seemed to be taken more seriously coming from "one of their own." I don't know any credible grappling academy that doesn't give new members the hygiene talk.

Those anecdotes you gave do actually surprise me. If it is a credible school, every member should be educated in these facts just as much as they should be educated in how to pass the guard. Grappling sports present a unique set of risks involved due to the skin to skin contact nature of it. There is no need to scare people away, or ban others, just empower them through knowledge.

And well as for apathy, well sometimes a little scare tactics here and there is good to get rid of that :icon_lol:

Well, when I was on the wrestling team In university and majoring in microbiology as a undergrad, I insisted on giving the "hygiene" talk every year. Oddly enough, it seemed to be taken more seriously coming from "one of their own." I don't know any credible grappling academy that doesn't give new members the hygiene talk.

Those anecdotes you gave do actually surprise me. If it is a credible school, every member should be educated in these facts just as much as they should be educated in how to pass the guard. Grappling sports present a unique set of risks involved due to the skin to skin contact nature of it. There is no need to scare people away, or ban others, just empower them through knowledge.

And well as for apathy, well sometimes a little scare tactics here and there is good to get rid of that :icon_lol:

Alot of the places I have been to never talk about it. In fact if it wasn't for forums I probably wouldn't have been aware of it so soon.

Another problem is new people are always joining throughout the year but even if a place does have a speech about it that is usually only a couple times a year if that. It's a difficult trade off because you are trying to get new people to join/signup but you don't want to scare them away with the disease stuff on top of other types of physical injuries.

To be honest, if I had known about the disease stuff when I originally started, that probably would've tipped the scale against me joining BJJ as I was already concerned about injuries and the time commitment that BJJ would require. Course that was all unfounded but when you've never done a martial art before you have alot of concerns about joining it and strange notions that it's going to be as intense as the UFC or Pride.

Back