Gladiator Herpes....

You guys are way overreacting to the herpes thing.

Yes, you should not train with active herpes sores on your body. I think everyone gets that. But just having had a herpes outbreak at one point in time during your life should not automatically disqualify you from training.

You guys realize that approximately 70% of the US population has HSV-1 right? Most people really don't know for sure, but if you have survived to adulthood, the statistics say that you probably technically have the herpes virus in your system.

Just because you have had herpes once doesn't mean you can't train ever again. That makes no sense.

Nobody gets herpes ONCE. It is a LIFELONG DISEASE. Once it is in your nervous system, it is there for LIFE.

Sorry, but I can't emphasize that point enough.

You may or may not experience future outbreaks depending on your immune system and medication, but once you have it, YOU ALWAYS HAVE IT.

And if you have it, you need to quit grappling. Period. That's why kids have skin checks in youth wrestling, to try to weed out as many as possible that might transmit.

Seeing is believing my freind.Herpes is a skin disease. If I don't see it I don't have it.

I hope you're kidding.

If not, that's the stupidest freaking thing I've ever read.

You realize again that there is on average a 70% chance that you yourself have HSV-1 in your body? Just because you can't see the sores now and don't remember ever getting them doesn't mean that you don't have the virus latent in your body. Sometimes people are infected with the virus and spread it around with absolutely no symptoms. In fact, it's more likely that you have it than not.

Are you going to go hide under a rock now?

I already have it.

I believe I got it from grappling, as I can remember rolling with several partners that showed up with cold sores. I can't imagine how many had genital herpes and still came to class.

However, that doesn't really matter now.

What matters is that I quit BJJ and am not going back. So yes, I guess I am going to hide under a rock. As long as I don't pass it to anyone else, I sleep much better at night.

I hope you're kidding.

If not, that's the stupidest freaking thing I've ever read.

If I contracted the disease and had an outbreak i would have the virus..even If I only had one intial outbreak and never had another outbreak, I would still have the virus because it never leaves the carriers immune system.

He was trying to say that 70% of the population, and possibly me and you already have herpes but don't know it...I was just saying that if I've never had an outbreak in my life.. then I can't possibly have Herpes.

Nobody gets herpes ONCE. It is a LIFELONG DISEASE. Once it is in your nervous system, it is there for LIFE.

Sorry, but I can't emphasize that point enough.

You may or may not experience future outbreaks depending on your immune system and medication, but once you have it, YOU ALWAYS HAVE IT.

And if you have it, you need to quit grappling. Period. That's why kids have skin checks in youth wrestling, to try to weed out as many as possible that might transmit.

Dude, I understand that it's permanent. You are still missing the point.

70% of the US population has something that you think automatically disqualifies people from ever grappling again. "Period." You need to take off the tin foil hat and realize that just because it is latent in your system doesn't mean that you can't live a normal life.

You probably have herpes. I probably have herpes. It's almost a statistical certainty that most of the people on this board have herpes. Jesus probably had herpes.

Get a grip. Herpes is not some new evil thing that is going to come out of the closest and disfigure you for life. If your training partner has active herpes sores on his body or something, he needs to stop training until they clear up. But once they are cleared up, he becomes exactly like the majority of people at your gym who have HSV-1 latent in their system as well.

If I contracted the disease and had an outbreak i would have the virus..even If I only had one intial outbreak and never had another outbreak, I would still have the virus because it never leaves the carriers immune system.

He was trying to say that 70% of the population, and possibly me and you already have herpes but don't know it...I was just saying that if I've never had an outbreak in my life.. then I can't possibly have Herpes.

I thought you were kidding when you stated that.

Actually, you can get viruses and be asymptomatic. So you can easily have the herpes virus (HSV-1) and never had even one single outbreak. In fact, that's pretty common actually.

I already have it.

I believe I got it from grappling, as I can remember rolling with several partners that showed up with cold sores. I can't imagine how many had genital herpes and still came to class.

However, that doesn't really matter now.

What matters is that I quit BJJ and am not going back. So yes, I guess I am going to hide under a rock. As long as I don't pass it to anyone else, I sleep much better at night.

I guess BJJ just really wasn't for you then. No big deal.

I think personally if you are going to grapple then you need to be ready and be as clean as possible. Shower after every session and if you can change rashguards/shirts in between classes. Also use something like ABC or Ksheild to have another layer of protection.

I guess BJJ just really wasn't for you then. No big deal.

BJJ isn't for anybody with a communicable disease.

If someone has herpes, they need to go do powerlifting, run a marathon, play frisbee golf, whatever. If it means less people in the sport, fine. BJJ isn't more important than a healthy body.

Sure, it wouldn't eliminate the risk completely. But it would certainly help.

Herpes sucks. Ask anyone who has it.

If someone has herpes, they need to go do powerlifting, run a marathon, play frisbee golf, whatever. If it means less people in the sport, fine. BJJ isn't more important than a healthy body.

So you are stating that 70% of the US population should never do BJJ no matter what? Period? Ever?

I think personally if you are going to grapple then you need to be ready and be as clean as possible. Shower after every session and if you can change rashguards/shirts in between classes. Also use something like ABC or Ksheild to have another layer of protection.

Showering afterward won't protect you if you're rolling with someone who has a herpes sore, or even if they're just "shedding".

I was the first in the shower after every rolling session, and still caught ringworm and herpes (though in all fairness I can't prove I caught herpes in class, but I'm still pretty damned sure).

Once you make contact with the virus and it penetrates your skin, that shower after workout is worthless.

And BTW, the virus can stay alive outside the body for up to 24 hours. Not a common way to transmit, but something to think about.

I didn't believe Balto's statistic, and this thread scared me shitless...so i researched my own and found that he was right.

According to your logic, 70% of the American population should not only not do BJJ, but they also shouldn't kiss, have sex, or have any physical contact with anyone else for the rest of their lives.

Makes sense bubble boy.

So you are stating that 70% of the US population should never do BJJ no matter what? Period? Ever?

That figure isn't likely accurate. CDC says it's less than 50%.

And yes, if you have herpes, I think you need to find another hobby.
But let me ask you something.

How would YOU feel if you KNEW your rolling partner had herpes?

How would you know they had it?

Would you see the sore through his pants or shirt?

What if his cold sore was healing?

Would you still feel comfortable rolling with him even if he didn't have an obvious sore?

How do you think you will feel when you get that first, ugly, painful outbreak?

That figure isn't likely accurate. CDC says it's less than 50%.

And yes, if you have herpes, I think you need to find another hobby.
But let me ask you something.

How would YOU feel if you KNEW your rolling partner had herpes?

How would you know they had it?

Would you see the sore through his pants or shirt?

What if his cold sore was healing?

Would you still feel comfortable rolling with him even if he didn't have an obvious sore?

How do you think you will feel when you get that first, ugly, painful outbreak?

Yes, I would feel comfortable rolling with him if he had no obvious sores.

How would I feel if I knew that my partner had herpes? It's pretty much statistically certain that I have rolled with hundreds, maybe thousands, of people with herpes by now, so I already know that. I feel just fine.

Seriously dude, even assuming it's closer to 50% (I know the figures aren't extremely precise), that is still about half the population. Somehow we manage to survive just fine. The United States has not collapsed into chaos yet.

Clearly BJJ is just not for you. No sport with physical contact is for you. I can accept that, but just recognize that most people do not fear physical contact as much as you do.

I didn't believe Balto's statistic, and this thread scared me shitless...so i researched my own and found that he was right.

According to your logic, 70% of the American population should not only not do BJJ, but they also shouldn't kiss, have sex, or have any physical contact with anyone else for the rest of their lives.

Makes sense bubble boy.

I believe that if you have a confirmed case of herpes that you should abstain from the grappling arts.

You should also inform your potential S.O. before you kiss or have sex with them that you are positive for HSV so that they can make an informed decision whether to have significant physical contact with you.

This won't eliminate the disease, but it should certainly reduce it's transmission. I'm not pollyannish enough to think that it can be eradicated completely.

Hope I made that clear for you.

Like I said before, using products like ABC and Kshield are a must. No matter how clean your gym is all it takes is that one dude. Yes this shit is scary but as long as you take the proper precautions then you should be ok.

Yes, I would feel comfortable rolling with him if he had no obvious sores.

How would I feel if I knew that my partner had herpes? It's pretty much statistically certain that I have rolled with hundreds, maybe thousands, of people with herpes by now, so I already know that. I feel just fine.

Seriously dude, even assuming it's closer to 50% (I know the figures aren't extremely precise), that is still about half the population. Somehow we manage to survive just fine. The United States has not collapsed into chaos yet.

Clearly BJJ is just not for you. No sport with physical contact is for you. I can accept that, but just recognize that most people do not fear physical contact as much as you do.

Please don't make assumptions about me. I don't "fear" physical contact one bit. I loved BJJ, and practiced five days per week religiously through injuries and a hectic schedule for several years, and was recognized as one of the better students for my very modest level at my school.

However, I do prefer to not pass along what I have received to others. And considering you obviously haven't experienced what I haven't, you really haven't any idea what a pain in the ass it can be.

If you choose to accept and minimize the risk, that's cool. I have no real interest one way or the other.

Yes, you should not train with active herpes sores on your body. I think everyone gets that. But just having had a herpes outbreak at one point in time during your life should not automatically disqualify you from training.

I think you might be missing the point of our little tirade.

If it's not contagious when in remission, then let them roll.

I think what people (and I) took offense to was the comment he made that even if he knew it to be contagious (whatever he had) all the time, he'd just say "Screw it" and roll.

That's different than staying home when you're rashed out and going in when your fine, because you know you're safe to roll with.

Do you think NCAA wrestlers quit when the get the Herp?

How about Olympic Wrestlers?

Olympic Judokas?

If your not having an outbreak then your more than fine to be on the mats.

If your having an outbreak your probably gonna be out for 2 weeks.

Most people get there inital outbreak then another one a few months later and then never see another one again. If everyone quit over Herpies then there would be alot less talent at ADCC this year because I'm 100% that around half those guys have Simplex-1 in there system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back