Gladiator Herpes....

You expect me to quit? I got it from submission wrestling. I love the sport and I don't have breakouts. So you think I should quit because there might be a chance that it could be contagious?

I would make bloody sure it isn't contagious, cause if it is - then yes, you should quit.

So basically, anyone who has ever had a cold sore should not do bjj?

Cold sores aren't contagious when you don't actually have one in regards to grappling, i'm telling this guy to find out whether what he has is still contagious when he has no out-break. He reckons if it is still contagious he doesn't care - i think that's wrong.

You expect me to quit? I got it from submission wrestling. I love the sport and I don't have breakouts. So you think I should quit because there might be a chance that it could be contagious?
I expect you to fucking find out if it is. And if it is, than yes I expect you to quit. I don't give a fuck what you love, everyone else at your gym loves it too and your ruining it for them and making them sick for your own selfishness.

I expect you to fucking find out if it is. And if it is, than yes I expect you to quit. I don't give a fuck what you love, everyone else at your gym loves it too and your ruining it for them and making them sick for your own selfishness.

Sorry but im not going to quit over something like cold sores.

Sorry but im not going to quit over something like cold sores.

Get that checked out by a doctor and find out what it is- as far as not quitting and possibly infecting people with a blood born pathogen- that's now illegal.

Turtle Guard- what would make you quit grappling? Anal Warts? HIV? Let's start at an extreme and work backwards so you can realize where you are on the spectrum of denial and accountability.

Guys, pay attention very closely:

1. Coldsores are generally caused by Herpes Simplex Virus 1.

2. Mat herpes, or herpes gladiatorum, is ALSO caused generally by HSV 1.

3. However, both HSV 1 or 2 can appear ANYWHERE on the body, though 1 is usually found on the face or body, and 2 is usually found on the genitals. So that shit about your cold sore not being a risk to others is bullshit. You have a cold sore, you have herpes. Period.

4. If you have a cold sore, mat herpes sore, or genital herpes sore, and you decide to roll, you will likely pass it to whomever you roll with.

5. Even if you do not have the sore erupted, it can "shed" the virus days before and after it appears. And yes, the virus can transmit through your sweaty clothing during a roll.

6. IMO, definitely you should quit grappling sports if you have herpes of any sort. The reason it is so prevalent in wrestling and soon to be BJJ is because guys won't quit when they discover they have it.

Don't be a selfish jerk. Be a man and find a different sport where you won't be passing along your disease to innocent people.

Yes.

Sorry about your situation, but you can't continue through life thinking everything is about you.

It's about other people too, which you don't seem to give a shit about.

Goddam you can get herpes from grappling?? I've been wanting to start taking BJJ classes for awhile now , but if there's a chance of me getting herpes than i think i'm gonna pass. I'd rather teach myself out of a book or something than get herpes.

Goddam you can get herpes from grappling?? I've been wanting to start taking BJJ classes for awhile now , but if there's a chance of me getting herpes than i think i'm gonna pass. I'd rather teach myself out of a book or something than get herpes.

Yes, you can get herpes from fucking too. Even with a rubber. Are you going to never have sex with a random slut you bring home from a bar? Live a little.

You never watched TUF? Dana kicked two guys out of TUF because they had it.

Although my understanding is it can be controlled by medicine.

I saw the guy that got sent home last season because he had it, but I didn't know he got it from training. I would never want to have to go to work with Herpes on my face that would be humiliating.

You may already have it, a large percentage of the population does but many don't know it. The herpes simplex virus can show up as different types. Ever had a cold sore? That's a form of herpes.

You never watched TUF? Dana kicked two guys out of TUF because they had it.

Although my understanding is it can be controlled by medicine.

Valtrex is the most effective, and it is very expensive.

Acyclovir is cheaper, but not as effective, and you have to take about 5 pills a day when you have a sore. Not very convenient.

Medicine should reduce your outbreak frequency about 70% on average. Some people have no outbreaks while on suppressive medicine, while some experience only a small decrease in outbreaks.

Your chances are high that you are still going to have outbreaks, even with this expensive, inconvenient medication.

The best bet is not to get it in the first place. Herpes sucks to have to deal with, and if you get it, you have to explain to your future GF's that you have it, no matter what part of your body it appears on.

That doesn't bode well for dating prospects.

You guys are way overreacting to the herpes thing.

Yes, you should not train with active herpes sores on your body. I think everyone gets that. But just having had a herpes outbreak at one point in time during your life should not automatically disqualify you from training.

You guys realize that approximately 70% of the US population has HSV-1 right? Most people really don't know for sure, but if you have survived to adulthood, the statistics say that you probably technically have the herpes virus in your system.

Just because you have had herpes once doesn't mean you can't train ever again. That makes no sense.

Yes, you can get herpes from fucking too. Even with a rubber. Are you going to never have sex with a random slut you bring home from a bar? Live a little.

Hmm. Risk getting a painful, ugly, lifelong disease that makes you shunned by potential GFs, causes you to spend hard-earned money on doctors visits and medication, and makes you a social pariah?

I guess we have different opinions on what it means to "live a little".

Hmm. Risk getting a painful, ugly, lifelong disease that makes you shunned by potential GFs, causes you to spend hard-earned money on doctors visits and medication, and makes you a social pariah?

I guess we have different opinions on what it means to "live a little".

You realize again that there is on average a 70% chance that you yourself have HSV-1 in your body? Just because you can't see the sores now and don't remember ever getting them doesn't mean that you don't have the virus latent in your body. Sometimes people are infected with the virus and spread it around with absolutely no symptoms. In fact, it's more likely that you have it than not.

Are you going to go hide under a rock now?

You realize again that there is on average a 70% chance that you yourself have HSV-1 in your body? Just because you can't see the sores now and don't remember ever getting them doesn't mean that you don't have the virus latent in your body. Sometimes people are infected with the virus and spread it around with absolutely no symptoms. In fact, it's more likely that you have it than not.

Are you going to go hide under a rock now?

Seeing is believing my freind.Herpes is a skin disease. If I don't see it I don't have it.

Back