Glad to see Soa Palelei in the top 15

bloodyknuck

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This guy is a straight up beast, if he improves his cardio he could seriously be top 5 in my opinion. In the current UFC top ten I think that he beats Mir, Hunt, Overeem, Barnett, Browne and possibly Bigfoot and Big Country. He would have trouble certainly with Cain, Werdum, and Stipe, and JDS. Because they are all younger, more athletic and have better cardio. Hope he goes far in the heavyweight division.

Bigfoot, Barnett, Mir & Overeem mop the floor with him.

Cain & JDS retire him.

I don't think he'll go too far, he's old and probably incapable of getting takedowns on any serious HW. I find it hard not to respect a fighter who's never won by decision though.

I must admit I'm surprised he's 3 - 1 in the ufc so far. I don't see him ever being top 5

I must admit I'm surprised he's 3 - 1 in the ufc so far. I don't see him ever being top 5

I was like "damn who did Soa lose to?" and then remembered he lost to some guy like 9 bazillion years ago.

Time flies man

I don't think he'll go too far, he's old and probably incapable of getting takedowns on any serious HW. I find it hard not to respect a fighter who's never won by decision though.
According to FightMetric Soa has 90% take down accuracy. He usually gets 3 takedowns per fifteen minutes but they guy only needed 1 take down in each of his last two fights against Potts and Barry. From there it was lights out in a combined total of 17 strikes for both fights. This guy hits HARD. Unusual power in his hands. It was pretty crazy in the Potts fight, a short hook on the ground, and I thought he was going to go into a coma.

According to FightMetric Soa has 90% take down accuracy. He usually gets 3 takedowns per fifteen minutes [...]
Yea... against who exactly?

Not saying it's impossible, but he hasn't really fought anyone who can actually test his takedown offense. Pat Barry was one of the worst grapplers in the UFC period, Ruan Potts is a champ from a regional South African promotion, and Palelei's fight with Krylov (now a LHW) showcased some of the most embarrassing conditioning I've ever seen from professional fighters.

Yea... against who exactly?

Not saying it's impossible, but he hasn't really fought anyone who can actually test his takedown offense. Pat Barry was one of the worst grapplers in the UFC period, Ruan Potts is a champ from a regional South African promotion, and Palelei's fight with Krylov (now a LHW) showcased some of the most embarrassing conditioning I've ever seen from professional fighters.
Good point, Potts and Barry are not exactly known for their take down defense. Good Wrestlers like Stipe and Cain might give him serious trouble. His stand up is a bit shaky as well, but if he gets mount against you, its pretty much Hulk Smash lol.

bloodto watch 5037281 said:
This guy is a straight up beast, if he improves his cardio he could seriously be top 5 in my opinion. In the current UFC top ten I think that he beats Mir, Hunt, Overeem, Barnett, Browne and possibly Bigfoot and Big Country. He would have trouble certainly with Cain, Werdum, and Stipe, and JDS. Because they are all younger, more athletic and have better cardio. Hope he goes far in the heavyweight division.

He could smash Mir and that's it.

Will be fun to watch see how far he goes though.

He beats no one in the top ten. Literally, no one. Great for him to have a career resurgence, but he's beaten no one to write home about. Set him up with someone like Gonzaga. We'll see how he handles a legitimate step up in competition.

Anyone with decent TDD beats him.

I doubt he could beat Mittrione, the guy lost to Eddie Sanchez let's not forget.

The guy's got crazy power but I can't see him breaking into the top 5. A fight with Barnett would be good for him.

Damn, he hasn't, has he?
Huh.
Yeah, I find that hard not to respect, too.

I do not see who soa palelei would fail to take down or knock out with his vicisous ground and pound... but seriously, his gass tank is 2 mins big, anyone who can survive should be able to win the contest.

I'd like him to fight Big Country, if he loses to Hunt.

Back