Giving you the middle (realistic and true) ground on the Fedor debate on this forum

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Kelman, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Kelman

Kelman Banned Banned

- Fedor is the heavyweight GOAT

- Fedor is unarguably one of the top 4 or 5 fighters to ever compete in MMA. Personally I have him top 3 ATG

- The best version of Fedor (circa 2003-2005 in Pride) would destroy the vast majority of current UFC heavyweights. I actually think he beats them all except maybe Velasquez who, when fully fit, would be a difficult stylistic match for Fedor. But with Fedor's punching power and submission game, I wouldn't be confident picking Cain either. I think that version of Fedor does defeat even brilliant elite fighters like current Werdum & the JDS of a couple of years back

- But that Fedor is so long gone now. He got finished in 1 minute by Werdum, took punishment from Brett Rogers before beating him, took a savage prolonged beatdown from Bigfoot Silva, and was KO'd within the 1st round by a 207lbs, 40+ year old Dan Hendo. And from that point (which was already low) he has spent years in the wilderness of inactivity

- So in short, Fedor is simply in nowhere near the position to be challenging current top UFC heavyweights like Werdum. Werdum has been fighting and winning consistently against top opponents, has been training and improving, and has all of the momentum and confidence that this brings. The very idea of a rustier-than-the-Titanic 40 year old Fedor who has been finished the last 3 times he fought ranked comp, then going in with the #1 heavyweight in the world (who is way better than the guys who finished him back when he was active - including himself obviously, as Werdum's standup has evolved DRAMATICALLY since then) is just ludicrous. Seriously, one of the most absurd notions of recent times, and that's in a sport where the absurd is commonplace

If Fedor returns, he should be put in a fight he can win. Not a gimme, but one where he has a chance of victory, in order for the fight to be fair, competitive, and interesting.

Werdum would fucking demolish him with alarming ease - but so would any champion do so to any fighter who was already shipping bad losses BEFORE an extended break away from the game. Mad idea. Praying it doesn't happen.

Give us Fedor vs Hendo 2 or Fedor vs Shogun or Fedor vs Rampage or Fedor vs Crocop 2 or Fedor vs Nog 4 (if he signs with the UFC), or even Fedor vs Tito if he goes to Bellator. Someone close to his own size who is also a bit of a faded force, and who will want to slug it out for the fans and give us all the fun fight that this should be.

But putting him in with a current prime elite heavyweight is a recipe for a massive downer for all concerned, as it won't be competitive at all.

2. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

He got finished in 1 minute by Werdum, true. But - and I'm being objective here - that could EASILY be seen as him being overconfident and reckless. I think - and I'm being objective here - Fedor would have won that fight had he been more patient.

Then again, patience wasn't his game.

He took punishment from Rogers, true. But he took punishment in his "prime", too. Herring mounted him at the end of the first round, Fujita rocked him badly, Hunt had his arm, etc. He was never unbeatable in the sense he just cruised. He was unbeatable cause he always came back.

Big Foot was juiced. But that's no excuse, really, and Fedor should have won that fight.

Hendo was a bummer. But again: Fedor was reckless as fuck.

I don't think Fedor is coming back though, as in REALLY BACK, and 3 years off IS too much.

3. heatbag

heatbag Brown Belt

If he were to sign with the UFC I would like him to fight Big Country. It is a dangerous fight but beating Roy does have some value and would see Fedor elevated to a top ten opponent. Dana may also like that fight for the prospect of seeing Roy do to Fedor as he did to Big Nog.

4. nintey

nintey Brown Belt

The thing is in mma you never really know till they fight. Who would have thought Arlovski and Mir would be doing what they're doing. Especially heavy weights, anything can happen. You're probably right for the most part but I don't care who he fights, I'd just like to see him in the ufc finally.

5. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Fedor is more than a half a decade past his prime and hasn't competed against top HWs in the same time frame.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. No. If he wants to make a comeback, and make a big fuss about it, he should fight the best right away. The guys in his era (when he was ruling) are ruling the HW division right now. Use that leverage to fight in the UFC.

7. focal

focal Blue Belt

My only hope is that he looked huge on recent pics. Maybe he found a way to 'rejuvenate' himself...

8. sonofjay817

sonofjay817 Brown Belt

Remember that time Frank Mir got huge for the Shane Carwin fight?..lol

9. titomoreno

titomoreno Orange Belt

I love Fedor, i think his the GOAT, at least the HW GOAT, but he is an old guy, his prime was a long time ago, of course i will be happy to see him fight one more time because of the nostalgia factor, i dont expect a run for the title or that he will be champion again

10. Kelman

Kelman Banned Banned

What a pile of bollocks.

Fedor's prime was 2003-2005, his Pride title run was 2003-2006, and he lost in 2010. He was generally accepted to be the world's number 1 heavyweight 2003-2010.

The guys 'ruling' the division right now (judging by the UFC champ + top 5) are Werdum, Velasquez, dos Santos, Miocic, Arlovski and Browne.

Of those 6, one of them was a champion 2003-2010, Arlovski, who was champ in a tremendously feeble UFC hw division and lost his crown to Tim Sylvia.

Of those 6, one other fighter was active at a high level 2003-2010, Werdum. During Fedor's Pride reign, Werdum was green and coming up, never got close to challenging for the title, and only became a champion in 2015.

The other 4 (Cain, JDS, Browne, Miocic) were all green and coming up before Fedor lost to Werdum, and none of them were even active during Fedor's Pride reign (2003-2006).

Conclusion: Bullshit.

Arlovski, Mir and Crocop have all had decent wins lately, but none of them have come against the real elite of the division - Werdum, Cain, JDS, Miocic. As soon as one of them faces one of those guys, they'll get mauled again.

And Arlovski, Mir and Crocop have all took terrible losses in recent years, yet have stayed active and got back on the horse to an extent. Fedor hasn't even been active.

Why? He doesn't merit that. Dude was finished last 3 times he fought ranked opponents, and has had a long lay-off since then. Makes absolutely zero sense to give him a title shot/eliminator now. None.

Sounds like you're a bit of a hater actually.

11. Kelman

Kelman Banned Banned

Yeah but doing it against Schaub and shot Bigfoot and Browne and Todd Duffee isn't exactly the same as doing it against Werdum and Velasquez and dos Santos and Miocic, which is what is being talked about on here for Fedor.

12. dns2344

dns2344 Purple Belt

I agree with most of your post except your assessment on how he'd do against the current UFC Top 10. There are several winnable fights and, depending on who they give him first, could boost him to a Top 5 Ranking pretty quickly given his name.

Of the current Top 10, I see him beating Arlovski, Barnett, Overeem, Hunt, and Browne.
    The others I have to be honest with myself that someone who hasn't fought in years will definitely struggle.

So if he beats 1-2 of the above names, he'll not only be in better fight shape but also be ranked. I think I'm being pretty realistic here but there will always people who think the 3 losses define his existence.

Edit: I don't think its as crazy you make it sound to come in and beat some of the top HWs. It is the HW division where Cain can get KO'd by JDS quickly but then dominate him twice. For someone who was able to overcome that for so long, I'd say Fedor, of all people would have that chance.