Giving Oly Lifting a Try!

Some snatches and C&J. 50kg press x 5 x 5. EVERYTHING FElt like shit today.

06.07.2015:

Fucked up my lower back last thuesday so just did whatever last week.

Squats:
104 x 3 x 6 sets.

and some split squats and some other stuff.

Any vids of your lifts? If you lack a coach, feedback is critical. It is the little things that are easy to miss that come back to bite you in the ass later.

Yeah I have some, snatching from the side, if that is good? It'll be greatly appreciated to get feedback!

Actually, I'm probably going to be shifting gyms to a gym that has a an actual oly lifting team. But ehm, first I need to get a jobby job, to make some money.

Yeah I have some, snatching from the side, if that is good? It'll be greatly appreciated to get feedback!

Actually, I'm probably going to be shifting gyms to a gym that has a an actual oly lifting team. But ehm, first I need to get a jobby job, to make some money.

Yes.

I have some spare time this week, and would be happy to look at them. Will also get a couple of other guys to chime in.

Yes.

I have some spare time this week, and would be happy to look at them. Will also get a couple of other guys to chime in.

Awesome, would you rather i put it here, PM you or make a thread in f13?

Here, easier to keep track of shit.

Sorry it took so long, but I'm a tech retard and couldn't figure out how to get videos from phone to computer.

[YT]6cFNT45fKFc[/YT]

They were supposed to be real snatches, but i have trouble pulling myself under.

From what I can see my hips rise too fast??
I have trouble pulling myself under.
I can't for the life of me do the first pull properly. I always seem to fuck my shins up.

Lower back is still being a ****, so I just did some presses.

Press:
20 x 10
40 x 3
50 x 1
60 x 3
55 x 5 x 3 sets.
50 x 5 x 3 sets.
- lost of hip and ankle stretching between sets.

Also did some light squats and some rope skipping.

Squats:
bar x 5
40 x 3
60 x 3 - also did x5 spilt squats on each leg.
70 x 1
80 x 1
90 x 1
100 x 1
104kg x 6 x 6 sets.
- Some of the reps in the middle sets stank technique wise.

Pause Front Squats
60 x 5 x 3 sets.
- Focused on loading my quads and azzzzzz.

Some roll-outs and calf work.

No real time to respond in detail, but thank you for the vid.

Your biggest issue is that you hesitate. You need to do more light work (full snatch) and drop snatches just to get used to getting under the bar faster. This is a very common issue.

Will respond in more detail later.

No real time to respond in detail, but thank you for the vid.

Your biggest issue is that you hesitate. You need to do more light work (full snatch) and drop snatches just to get used to getting under the bar faster. This is a very common issue.

Will respond in more detail later.

Much appreciated!

The thing is, whenever I do it quick I fuck up my shins and the technique goes to shit. Should I do it slowly to assure it is correct or?

Much appreciated!

The thing is, whenever I do it quick I fuck up my shins and the technique goes to shit. Should I do it slowly to assure it is correct or?

I find keeping the bar a little bit further away from my shins in the starting position helps me a lot with the transition from first to second pull - but I've got a disproportionally strong lower back that lets me get away with this, so I'm not sure if it's a great strategy for everyone.

Sometimes I also like going slow on the first pull, and when the bar passes the knee I explode and pull like all hell broke loose. Helps hammer down the motor pattern of the first part of the lift, while still working on the second part of the lift where most of the power is generated anyway.

I'll second what Eric said about the drop snatches, they are fantastic for getting comfortable under the bar. I also found that pulling the bar from a high starting position (upper thigh) with a light weight a good way to train getting under the bar as fast as possible.

I'd wait for Eric to chime in again to see what he thinks, because he's got a lot more experience than myself. But these are a few things that I think helped me out.

I find keeping the bar a little bit further away from my shins in the starting position helps me a lot with the transition from first to second pull - but I've got a disproportionally strong lower back that lets me get away with this, so I'm not sure if it's a great strategy for everyone.

This for me.

I also found that pulling the bar from a high starting position (upper thigh) with a light weight a good way to train getting under the bar as fast as possible.

This as well.

I'd wait for Eric to chime in again to see what he thinks, because he's got a lot more experience than myself. But these are a few things that I think helped me out.

And of course this.

Thanks guys! It's awesome you're helping!

SD, when talking about pulling from a high starting position, do mean like in California strength video (1:35)?

[YT]L6SjuAOjMEk[/YT]

Because when I do that I find it a lot easier to drop under. It's just when I have to put it all together, that it goes to crap!

I also love your posts in the diet section. No BS miracle-low-carb-turn-superman.

Sometimes I also like going slow on the first pull, and when the bar passes the knee I explode and pull like all hell broke loose. Helps hammer down the motor pattern of the first part of the lift, while still working on the second part of the lift where most of the power is generated anyway.

I'll second what Eric said about the drop snatches, they are fantastic for getting comfortable under the bar. I also found that pulling the bar from a high starting position (upper thigh) with a light weight a good way to train getting under the bar as fast as possible.

Actually was going to say most of this.

When pulling the bar off of the floor, I teach people to "squeeze" the bar off of the ground, then explode on the 2nd pull.

Also a fan of snatches from the hang or blocks to work on getting under the bar quicker.

Really, it is more of a mental adjustment than anything else. Sort of like when fighting if you worry about getting hit, someone cleans your clock every time. Just say "fuck it" and get under the bar so fast you travel back in time.

(for good examples of this, look up Taner Sagir. Guy is so fast he should get a speeding ticket)

Thanks guys! It's awesome you're helping!

SD, when talking about pulling from a high starting position, do mean like in California strength video (1:35)?

[YT]L6SjuAOjMEk[/YT]

Because when I do that I find it a lot easier to drop under. It's just when I have to put it all together, that it goes to crap!

I also love your posts in the diet section. No BS miracle-low-carb-turn-superman.

Yeah, from that starting position in the video. But the trick is to choose a weight that's just heavy enough to force you to get under the bar. In the video, he is just pulling into a power snatch position, you want to end up in the bottom position of the full snatch.

And thanks! D&S can be a nightmare sometimes... just trying to do my part to keep it kinda sane.

Actually was going to say most of this.

When pulling the bar off of the floor, I teach people to "squeeze" the bar off of the ground, then explode on the 2nd pull.

Also a fan of snatches from the hang or blocks to work on getting under the bar quicker.

Really, it is more of a mental adjustment than anything else. Sort of like when fighting if you worry about getting hit, someone cleans your clock every time. Just say "fuck it" and get under the bar so fast you travel back in time.

(for good examples of this, look up Taner Sagir. Guy is so fast he should get a speeding ticket)

When you say "squezze" the bar off the floor, what exactly do you mean. Can't really picture it.

That Sagir guy is quick! Related, have you seen Luis Mosquera? Dude is quick as a mufuka.

Yeah, from that starting position in the video. But the trick is to choose a weight that's just heavy enough to force you to get under the bar. In the video, he is just pulling into a power snatch position, you want to end up in the bottom position of the full snatch.

And thanks! D&S can be a nightmare sometimes... just trying to do my part to keep it kinda sane.

Will work on the things you guys have recommended and take a new vid friday!

Thanks fellas.

09.07.2015:

Press:
20 x 5
40 x 3
50 x 1
60kg x 3 x 3 sets.
47 x 8 x 3 sets.

Also did some BTN-SG.presses, band pull aparts, drop snatches OH squat and light back squats.

Squats

Usually when I squat i focus on pushing my knees out to activate my azz. I also feel this in my inner-thigh (adductor??). This is annoying as they have begun touching each other and it irritates me for no rational reason.

Then i saw this vid and read some articles stating the chinese pay zero attention to the knees (plus often when I see weightlifters squat on youtube, their knees cave in):

[YT]-V9MvP1nxOs[/YT]

When I squat like that there is more dorsiflexion I seem to be able to keep myself upright better and my quads get loaded to fuck and after yesterdays squatting they were quite sore. As an aspiring weightlifter that's what I want right? Besides big quads >>> big inn thighs.

There was one downside though, I didn't feel my glutes activate as much / at all. proably just need more reps to figure it out.

If anyone have any thoughts on it, fire away!

EDIT: This vid to:
[YT]ZCh9fwZPQD4[/YT]

I think I'll try to just let my knees do what they want.

Last edited:
10.07.2015:

Drop-Snatches:
40 x 3 x 7 sets.
- Will most def do more of these.

Squats:
20 x 5
40 x 3
60 x 3 x 2 sets.
80 x 2
100 x 1
104 x 2 x 6 sets.
91 x 5 x 3 sets. - Wanted some extra reps. So did at 70%

Split Squats: (For each leg.
60 x 8 x 2 sets.

Calves:
60 x 20 x 5 sets. (ankle plate-stretch between sets.

Notes
- Lower back hurt a little.

11.07.2015:

Press:
20 x 5
40 x 3
50 x 7 x 5 sets.
- Hip strecthing between sets.

BTN SG Press.
40 x 5 x 5 sets.
- Ankle stretching between sets.

Pendlay rows: (Superset 1)
70 x 5 x 5 sets

Lateral raises: (I think. Just saw Lu Xiaojun doing them on YT) Superset 1
5kg (per hand) x 12 x 5 sets.

Band pull aparts: (superset 2)
Red x 30 x 3 sets - 15 OH & 15 UH.

Pause squats Superset 2
60 x 3 x 3 sets.
- Done in bare feet to stretch my ankles.

Back