Give up on the powercleans? ><

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Whats so odd about this, and what makes you guys think its a joke? Given that squats are being done, Id choose cleans over deadlifts in most situations...

God I hope that was a joke. Try it at first, you'll know if you are not recovering by whether or not you keep getting stronger. I'd replace deadlifts with PCs if you feel you must take out one exercise, and keep in squats.

Whats so odd about this, and what makes you guys think its a joke? Given that squats are being done, Id choose cleans over deadlifts in most situations...

Question.....

Would any suggest that a powerclean is a reasonable substitute for a DL? I like both but I severely doubt my body will be able to hack squatting, DLing and PCing in a week.

Well since I don't know his goals, in my opinion, it's hard to say which one is more valuable in his training. He clearly mentions HACK squats, which seem to be more of an assistance exercise. I suggested he cut that out if he had to choose one to take away. I'm not saying deadlift is more important than powercleans, which would depend upon his goals, but I can say that both are more important than hack squats (unless his goal is to get better at hack squats).

That's what I was talkin about anyway.

I think a person has to pick his (or her, I guess) priorities. In some cases it may mean choosing to focus on cleans/power cleans or deadlifts, but not both. Obviously if you're going to compete in either powerlifting or Olympic lifting, you know which is the priority. But otherwise I don't think it's so much important which lift you train, so long as some kind of pull off the ground, and are getting stronger at it.

By that do you mean "I" as in a personal preference, or "I" as in cleans being generally a "better" exercise if someone were to choose one or the other?

I think a person has to pick his (or her, I guess) priorities. In some cases it may mean choosing to focus on cleans/power cleans or deadlifts, but not both. Obviously if you're going to compete in either powerlifting or Olympic lifting, you know which is the priority. But otherwise I don't think it's so much important which lift you train, so long as some kind of pull off the ground, and are getting stronger at it.

By that do you mean "I" as in a personal preference, or "I" as in cleans being generally a "better" exercise if someone were to choose one or the other?

what I mean is that for most people involved in athletic pursuits other than powerlifting, as long as you are squatting hard, if i had to choose between cleans and deadlifts, I would pick cleans.

I think that if for some reason someone couldnt squat and I had to choose between them, I would probably pick deadlifts.

Now keep in mind, in most situations not involving weightlifting or powerlifting, if given the choice I would include both, but would NOT include hack squats.

Question.....

Would any suggest that a powerclean is a reasonable substitute for a DL? I like both but I severely doubt my body will be able to hack squatting, DLing and PCing in a week.

I don't think this guy meant hack squatting as an exercise. I think he is using the word "hack" as a slang for "handle."

(I severely doubt my body will be able to handle squatting, DLing and PCing in a week.)

I don't think this guy meant hack squatting as an exercise. I think he is using the word "hack" as a slang for "handle."

(I severely doubt my body will be able to handle squatting, DLing and PCing in a week.)

Yeah, but if you start power-cleaning a decent amount of weight you're basically doing front squats anyway. So to a certain extent you can reduce your total number of sets or reps for squats and make it a raw strength exercise, while making cleans a power/explosive exercise. But it depends on your goals. Getting in shape for MMA? Keep power cleans and dead-lifts, especially if you're a wrestler. For general fitness, I'd say deadlifts and squats, with your first set of squats being dumbbell or diamond-bar jump squats for explosiveness.

Yeah, but if you start power-cleaning a decent amount of weight you're basically doing front squats anyway.

It doesn't matter how much weight you power clean, you're not doing front squats. Now if someone was doing full cleans, then they'd be front squatting as well. Although, unless someone has very limited time to train, I don't see this as a reason not to squat.

It doesn't matter how much weight you power clean, you're not doing front squats. Now if someone was doing full cleans, then they'd be front squatting as well. Although, unless someone has very limited time to train, I don't see this as a reason not to squat.

Power%20Clean%20Techniques.JPG

The last image looks like the business end of a front squat to me. And I agree, if at all possible, one should try to deadlift, clean, and squat as they are able by time or fatigue, regardless of weight involved. There's so much upside to all of the exercises that goes beyond simply, "I went from doing X exercise at Y weight to doing Z weight" to not do your best to include them in your weekly split. In my opinion, this goes double if your activity of choice is done while moving dynamically while carrying weight, such as wrestling, MMA, or carrying a combat load.

Except that image has been mislabeled. It is not a power clean, but rather a full clean.

Yes switch heavy rows for cleans.

Unless you have a coach or have great success with the lift, I would do something less technique intensive. The average clean technique seen around gyms is a clusterfuck of an abomination and truly a waste of time.

6th image is power clean, 7th image is a (full) clean.

Jesus Christ.

I really hate to say this, but, does someone not know the difference between a clean and a power clean?

If you dont know this, but yet know how to do dumbell fly's then you need to turn in your man card, immedietly.

LOLOL.....classic

Yes sir you are correct...... "hack" as in "handle".... good thing I didnt indulge in a bit of cockney rhyming eh?!

I squat once every week (alternating front and back)

I DL once every week (plain old regular kind)

I push press (behind neck - God I love these) twice a week

AND...... I try and do bits and bobs of cardio where I can to keep my BF down and maintain overall health. Nothing aggressive like HIIT mind.

So.... IMO my legs are amply stocked for work and there is no way I can add PCs in too.

So..... PCs would be a good substitute then yes? Its not that I dislike DLs (my 3RM is 400lbs) but I feel like PCs might transfer better into my other exercises as well as keep my posterior chaon good and strong.

Thoughts appreciated gents??

Ohhhhh! :redface:

Depending on what sorts of progression you're using, you can alternate power cleans and deadlifts each week.

Do you do any other exercises other than the ones you listed? What sort of reps, sets, and progression(s) do you use?

Says he's doing madcow in the first post ^^

LOLOL.....classic

Yes sir you are correct...... "hack" as in "handle".... good thing I didnt indulge in a bit of cockney rhyming eh?!

I squat once every week (alternating front and back)

I DL once every week (plain old regular kind)

I push press (behind neck - God I love these) twice a week

AND...... I try and do bits and bobs of cardio where I can to keep my BF down and maintain overall health. Nothing aggressive like HIIT mind.

So.... IMO my legs are amply stocked for work and there is no way I can add PCs in too.

So..... PCs would be a good substitute then yes? Its not that I dislike DLs (my 3RM is 400lbs) but I feel like PCs might transfer better into my other exercises as well as keep my posterior chaon good and strong.

Thoughts appreciated gents??

You only squat once a week? You only deadlift once every week?

You can easily do more. Squat 3 or 2.5 times a week and do power cleans and deadlift alternating on each workout (3 times a week), just like in starting strength.

I think you are seriously underestimating how much work you can do.

You only squat once a week? You only deadlift once every week?

You can easily do more. Squat 3 or 2.5 times a week and do power cleans and deadlift alternating on each workout (3 times a week), just like in starting strength.

I think you are seriously underestimating how much work you can do.

Squatting every week, DLing every week, push pressing twice a week AND some cardio when I can...... AND you think I should be doing more for my legs?!?!?!

Well all I can say is that I am not 21!!

Squatting every week, DLing every week, push pressing twice a week AND some cardio when I can...... AND you think I should be doing more for my legs?!?!?!

Well all I can say is that I am not 21!!

If your main goal is MMA, I dont know that I would really be that enthusiastic about squatting 3 times a week. Sure, its great to do if your main goal is gaining muscle or getting strong, but that assumes that the rest of your life is in the order it needs to be in to accomplish those goals. I dont really think that several sessions a week of MMA training and/or cardio qualifies.

Back