Give some love to Mike "Quicksand" Pyle, old man strength...

LOL

I LOVE Mike.
He's one of the greats, and I celebrate and root for him when he fights.
his add was awesome also! (curious if he ever got any heat for it from Zuffa) :)
Wondered the same thing...that commercial was 'tight', well done.

The third round of his last fight was fantastic. At one point he got the muay thai plum, tripped his opponent, was on the bottom and going for a guillotine choke. He didn't quite have it and, just as his corner man yelled (something like "take your time and if you don't have it, transition to the top". As soon as the instructions left the corner man's mouth, Pyle sweeps and takes top position. It was beautiful.

Then the beating that ended it, knees, elbows, it was nice.

He legit impressed me. That was a perfect example of veteran tricks overcoming a young gun.

I dont like him and i cant even tell you why. Its weird, even to myself.
CeSDTf8.jpg

Almost always exciting I'll never forget his war with Ricky S

One of my favorite things about Pyle is that he started out self-taught. He went to a local seminar and was like, damn this stuff is cool. So be bought some submission videos and trained in his garage with buddies.

Goes to show you that if you really become passionate about something you can start from literally zero (knowledge, ability, ect.) and with enough training and intelligence can become a quite competent fighter.

I personally love the guy, I hope he fights and wins in the UFC until he's 50.

lol love that vid, TS. this thread, too.

His performance against Spencer was exact why I love mma. I love watching Pyle fight. He is such a savvy vet. I am always fascinated when guys are able to dig deep and adapt.

Pyle's career has been amazing. He may never have reached the very top of the sport, but, as a submission-wizard, he reached the top level (UFC). Coming into the UFC, his finishes were almost all submissions. He has been in there with the best for the better part of a decade now, and he has had to adapt in order to survive.

Once he settled into the UFC, he had trouble tapping guys (it happens to EVERY submission-wiz. Even Maia went 4 years with no submissions). His striking had to be there to find big wins, and it was. A guy who had barely finished anyone with strikes has now tko'd Neer, Spencer, Head, Funch, and Waldburger. Those may not be the biggest names, I know, but they have given him a nice UFC career.
Perfect summary...bro bump

Mike_Pyle_vs._T.J._Waldburger_SPINNING_ELBOW.gif

He's crafty, that's for sure. If you don't put him away quick then you're going to be in for a long scrap and he has a big bag of tricks. Pyle's rarely in a dull fight and hardly ever looks his age out there.

I felt that people were writing off his chin too quick, Mein and Brown are/were just 2 of the most vicious finishers in the division. Hopefully he'll be around for a couple more years.

lol love that vid, TS. this thread, too.

His performance against Spencer was exact why I love mma. I love watching Pyle fight. He is such a savvy vet. I am always fascinated when guys are able to dig deep and adapt.

Pyle's career has been amazing. He may never have reached the very top of the sport, but, as a submission-wizard, he reached the top level (UFC). Coming into the UFC, his finishes were almost all submissions. He has been in there with the best for the better part of a decade now, and he has had to adapt in order to survive.

Once he settled into the UFC, he had trouble tapping guys (it happens to EVERY submission-wiz. Even Maia went 4 years with no submissions). His striking had to be there to find big wins, and it was. A guy who had barely finished anyone with strikes has now tko'd Neer, Spencer, Head, Funch, and Waldburger. Those may not be the biggest names, I know, but they have given him a nice UFC career.

Excellent post and well said. Couldn't agree more.

It's not because he's old. He's the Mullet Samson.

how come nobody but me liked this post/gif?

fucking awesome gif man, saved it

Half the boards have me on
their ignore lists.

The old man rocks.
I hope to be half as fun as
him if I reach that age

He knows it's career twilight time yet STILL fought with intensity aimed at finishing, NOT collecting check.
I respectfully disagree. I really don't think any of these guys realize when their careers are coming to an end.

Back