Give me an advice! Kick boxing related.

joshmaikar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
First of all, sorry if my English is not the best, is my 2nd language. I hope you guys can read me and give me some opinions, I'm open to suggestions .

I'm 19 years old, my dream is become a professional MMA fighter (a good one)
I'm training in a kick boxing gym, I don't have a problem with that, I feel it's good to start with that background. I have 6 months, in November I won a national Sanda Tournament here in Mexico, I consider myself "good", they don't believe that is my first time training combat stuff. I feel it's been easy to adapt cause I've been playing soccer since I was 6 and I've been following MMA since I was 10 .
The problem is that most of the stuff I know, is because of the research I've been doing, constantly learning and practicing by myself, sometimes drilling with my best friend, but I'm a little bit worried, cause I'm not sure about how far will I develop my skill and technique in the team I am now. As a team, we have good results, but I have to admit that I don't think we're facing the best competition.
My professor has literally hold pads for me one time and it was like "throw ten left hooks, now the jab blabla" I'm a little bit disappointed, cause he just put us to do some combos between the students, and then the sparring, but I haven't learned any counter , he show us a little bit of technique, he would tell us when we are doing something wrong BUT he has never been the kind of teacher I've seen not just in movies, but in real life.
It's hard, because Im not the youngest guy, I can't afford to pay a big gym and most of the other gyms here in Mexico city, are not that far between each other in terms of how good they are... Please, I need some opinions, I will be very grateful for that.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. 6 months of training aint enough to say you've outgrown the gym IMO. Just keep training and fighting- if you are winning and not getting hurt all the time then you're on the right path.

It can be dangerous to think you know better then someone a lot more experienced.
More experienced people will take their time in teaching you, so dont expect them to get you doing backfist-to-cartwheel kick counters after a few months of training.

I can understand your disappointment in something like 10 left hooks, but for every dumb thing he teaches you, he will probably teach you 10 good things. I believe the saying is when you can beat up the instructor or the best students, then maybe it's time for a new gym. I think you are still the small fish in the small pond. Wait until you are the big fish in the small pond to move over.

You'll be fine imo.

I can understand your disappointment in something like 10 left hooks, but for every dumb thing he teaches you, he will probably teach you 10 good things. I believe the saying is when you can beat up the instructor or the best students, then maybe it's time for a new gym. I think you are still the small fish in the small pond. Wait until you are the big fish in the small pond to move over.

You'll be fine imo.

This.

You might even be satisfied with your left hook, but he isn't.

I'm in the same boat you seem to be in TS, for what it's worth: physically and mentally gifted. I don't have to work hard to outwork and outpace my fellow sparring partners and have even shown up to gyms after a vacation from real training and wiped the floor with their best students (even the instructors if and when they decide to spar &/or roll), but that doesn't mean I don't believe in refinement. There's ALWAYS refining to do. You can ALWAYS improve, even GSP, Silva, Fedor, Jones at all their very fucking best can STILL improve. We are all human, and not perfect, unless the gym is a McDojo and if you are encountering success, it probably isn't, don't leave, not after just 6 months. Plus, you don't see nor hear of coaches fucking up their students in their prime (physically and in their craft(s)), atleast I haven't.

Give it a year, maybe a year and 3 months, or a year and a half. If you still think you're better off elsewhere, and not just hoping to upgrade too quickly for the wrong reasons, then go for it.

Last edited:
I have the same sentiments as the others above, 6 months is too short of a time to come to these conclusions. You may be very talented but I feel you could stay for a little while longer picking up the little things before you try to jump ship and perhaps get overwhelmed. You don't need to rush as you're still very young.

A little off topic but every post I see here in this section is positive & informative, I wish it was more active as it's always fun to learn & discuss with others in similar positions as yourself.

Thank you guys, I was driving myself a little bit crazy... But I feel very good after reading all of you, cause all of you have said something that's true.
I will be there for a little more than a year, so I can make sure I embrace the best things of my team.

And I feel the same as Kahran, the environment in this section of the forums seems pretty positive and fun

Back