Give Matt Brown a number one contender shot

defdef

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
See a lot of thread titles that don't say this explicitly. This is what needs to be said and you should post here if you agree.

I like the Lombard fight on July 5.

Lombard or the winner of the ellenberger lawler fight since it's coming up. I personally want to see the Lombard fight the most because stylistically I think it will be entertaining (although almost any fight Brown is in is sure to be entertaining).

Brown is close but besides his impressive win streak, he needs a top 10 opponent to solidify it given his recent lay off.

On the subject though shame on Erick Silva's corner for letting that go pass the second round.

I like Brown, but I'm pretty sure he's reached his ceiling.

The top5 will ragdoll him and Lawler will out badass him.

No he isn't ready white belt.

Call me a white belt, but I've been watching combat sports since about 2003. You can say what you want about the top of the division who have mostly been battling themselves, but after 7 wins, Matt Brown deserves an opportunity to prove himself. If as his detractors say, he can't touch the top 5, then this will be where his hype train ends. I am not advocating a title fight.

If not, then let him go for the title.

Brown is close but besides his impressive win streak, he needs a top 10 opponent to solidify it given his recent lay off.

I agree, however, it is not Brown's fault if the UFC isn't giving him a top 10 opponent. They keep trying to break him, but they haven't be able and after 7 wins a row, you can't deny that he deserves at least a shot to prove himself.

No one else thinks he deserves a number one contender shot?

He just needs to fight someone in the top ten. All of his wins are against unranked opponents yet he went into last night's fight ranked 7th...

Top 6 ranked fighters right now:
1 Robbie Lawler
2 Rory MacDonald
3 Tyron Woodley
4 Carlos Condit
5 Jake Ellenberger
6 Hector Lombard

Any one would be an entertaining fight for Brown (who is 7). Condit is injured so forget that one. I say give him Lombard or MacDonald depending on the performance of this and the Lawler/Ellenberger fight the best performance earns the title shot.

Top 6 ranked fighters right now:
1 Robbie Lawler
2 Rory MacDonald
3 Tyron Woodley
4 Carlos Condit
5 Jake Ellenberger
6 Hector Lombard

Any one would be an entertaining fight for Brown (who is 7). Condit is injured so forget that one. I say give him Lombard or MacDonald depending on the performance of this and the Lawler/Ellenberger fight the best performance earns the title shot.
I could see him beating one or two on that list. Rory would be a good fight.

I like Brown, but I'm pretty sure he's reached his ceiling.

The top5 will ragdoll him and Lawler will out badass him.

Well, no one would have thought Lawler would have had a renaissance that took him all the way to the title shot either.

Brown's earned his shot at a contender's match, whether or not any of use thinks he will win it. Using Lawler is a great example of this. I don't expect Brown to beat the other contenders nipping at the champs heels right now, but I didn't expect Robbie to be Rory either.

Give Brown the title shot.

One more fight imo. Brown has been on an absolute tear but for some reason the UFC hasn't given him top 10 opponents. He needs to fight someone in the top 5 before getting the shot.

He'd deserve a title shot for sure if he beats a top 5 opponent next. I don't think he'll ever become champ but he definitely deserves to be in the running for a title shot with a long streak like that.

give him the dan hardy treatment. hes on a winning streak. give him a title fight

Back