Give Jim Miller a Lightweight title shot

I'm a gigantic Jim Miller fan. But that would make a mockery of the division and sport.

It worked with Hendo because he was a former world champion with a GOAT KO over Bisping. But he was also ranked (I think) and had just put away Lombard. His recent losses were to DC, Mousasi, and Vitor- not Pichel, Holtzman, and Solecki.

It also worked when Fedor fell out of the first Nog fight- because Hendo had a W over him, too.

It works most with Oliviera because they’re 1-1 both with first round subs over each other.

But either way, most fights in UFC history, tied second most wins. Tail end of his career . I disagree it would make a mockery of the division it would be a one time deal for a rare human being and icon of the division.

I love Miller but realistically a TS for him shouldn't happen. He submitted Charles when he was in his prime, he's been over the hill for some time now. Let him fight 1-2 a year until UFC 300 then call it a career.

Jim Miller was never the same after Lyme disease and isn't even a gatekeeper this point. OP's reasoning makes no sense either cause the Hendo title shot was a mistake that should never be repeated.

<{Joewithit}>
Jim Miller got outgrappled and taken down by Poirier in their fight and this is after Poirier's leg gave out to calf kicks. Khabib's opponents apparently suck at grappling but his opponents have outgrappled some decent grapplers themselves. Pure lunacy.
MMAmath doesn't work, fella.

Poirier got KTFO'ed by MIchael Johnson in like 1 minute. Surely Justin Gaethje, who KTFO'ed Michael Johnson will KTFO Poirier.

MMAMath = pure lunacy.

<{Joewithit}>

The only way it would be ok, is if he was a last minute replacement. Other than just simply being around forever, he’s never earned a title shot. Hendo at least has a legacy and is a former champ. You can’t even make the legacy argument for Miller, other than his longevity.

It works most with Oliviera because they’re 1-1 both with first round subs over each other.

But either way, most fights in UFC history, tied second most wins. Tail end of his career . I disagree it would make a mockery of the division it would be a one time deal for a rare human being and icon of the division.
I do think Jim should be given extra respect from the fans and even the UFC. But the title is the title. You can skip 5 fighters- not 25.

Believe me, if he was even in the realm of a title shot, I'd be screaming it from the rooftop.

I'm a gigantic Jim Miller fan. But that would make a mockery of the division and sport.

It worked with Hendo because he was a former world champion with a GOAT KO over Bisping. But he was also ranked (I think) and had just put away Lombard. His recent losses were to DC, Mousasi, and Vitor- not Pichel, Holtzman, and Solecki.

It also worked when Fedor fell out of the first Nog fight- because Hendo had a W over him, too.

Jim is worthy of being fast-tracked to a title. If he takes out a ranked fighter or two,, I could see it happening. But it can't happen off a win over a UFC newcomer.

Also I hate these “mockery of the sport” type comments some mildly outlandish suggestions get.

We’re talking about a sport and organisation where James Toney made his MMA debut against Randy Couture and CM Punk was given two UFC fights. A sport where Jones can test positive for PED’s and they move the card to another state with 24hrs notice to save the fight.

Miller skipping the title shot que while unranked, because of his body of work and longevity in the sport isn’t that bad in comparison.

Last edited:
I do think Jim should be given extra respect from the fans and even the UFC. But the title is the title. You can skip 5 fighters- not 25.

Believe me, if he was even in the realm of a title shot, I'd be screaming it from the rooftop.
All respect to Miller, but you would be skipping 50 or more fighters at least at this point.

MMAmath doesn't work, fella.

Poirier got KTFO'ed by MIchael Johnson in like 1 minute. Surely Justin Gaethje, who KTFO'ed Michael Johnson will KTFO Poirier.

MMAMath = pure lunacy.

MMAmath is A > B > C = A > C

My argument is that B bested C using A's bread & butter and has nothing to do with MMAmath. If someone like Poirier is outgrappling you by taking you down at will and landing ground n pound, then Khabib who is better at both those things will do it even worse to you.

Why don't you explain what Jim Miller brings to the table in a hypothetical Khabib matchup instead of the "I believe" malarkey. Dunno what they teach in those hick towns in Canada but it sure isn't MMAth.
<{hughesimpress}>

No interest at all personally…if I was a shit division I could see the logic and I like Miller and don’t want to see him completely destroyed…….Give him an aging veteran or another lower level opponent……..I feel Miller fighting at Ufc 100 ,200 and 300 would be cooler and more unique then a ridiculous title shot …

Also I hate these “mockery of the sport” type comments some mildly outlandish suggestions get.

We’re talking about a sport and organisation where James Toney made his MMA debut against Randy Couture and CM Punk was given two UFC fights.
You can hate my comments. I stand by them. The UFC title has to mean more than the Saku belt. The title shot won't always go to the number 2 guy, but it can't be given to Jim Miller right now.

MMAmath is A > B > C = A > C

My argument is that B bested C using A's bread & butter and has nothing to do with MMAmath. If someone like Poirier is outgrappling you by taking you down at will and landing ground n pound, then Khabib who is better at both those things will do it even worse to you.

Why don't you explain what Jim Miller brings to the table in a hypothetical Khabib matchup instead of the "I believe" malarkey. Dunno what they teach in those hick towns in Canada but it sure isn't MMAth.
<{hughesimpress}>
Dude I don't have to explain anyrging to you. Your logic dictates that iaquinta should have done worse against khabib when he clearly did better than Poirier did lol.

I don't know what they teach you in Australia but it's clearly not anything to do with watching and analyzing things

Dude I don't have to explain anyrging to you. You're ogic dictates rhat iaquinta should have done worse against khabib when he clearly did better than Poirier did lol.

I don't know what they teach you in Australia but it's clearly not anything to do with watching and analyzing things

<{Joewithit}>
How tf does my logic dictate that Iaquinta should do worse when Iaquinta is actually a better defensive grappler than Poirier? That example literally adds to my point and you can't even recognize that <Lmaoo> I can now see why you refuse to elaborate on your opinions which looks more like wishful thinking now.

Pretty rich to accuse someone else of poor analysis when you're basically making my own argument stronger. No wonder you refuse to elaborate on why Jim Miller would be a more difficult matchup. Apparently they don't teach grammar in Canada either.
<Oku02>

Everyone loves and respects Jim Miller but Jim, himself, would feel complicit in accepting a participation shot/ loss at title.
It's good to see Jim " jack spade" Miller still picking up wins.

Hear me out on this.

Miller has the most fights in the UFC and is one behind Cowboy for most wins. He has fought the who’s who of the Lightweight division over the years. His win record has been inconsistent and due to that has never managed to get himself into the title fight.

However the Lightweight title fight coming up is Poirier v Oliveira.

Jim Miller is 1-1 with Oliviera
He lost a majority decision with Poirier

Similar to the Dan Henderson title shot vs Bisping, I would love to see Miller be awarded a title fight off the back of being a vet/legend, as well as him starching his opponent last night. Ok it was a no name debut fighter he beat, but a knockout like that at 38 years old against a guy in his 20’s is still impressive.

Plus he has history with Poirier and Oliveira. On top of having the most fights in UFC history and second most wins in UFC history, to say he had at least one crack at the title is what he deserves at this point. Forget long win streaks, he’s a legend of the sport and has earned it through the years fighting best of the best. War Miller.
Can't argue with the logic. I also love what Miller has done in the sport. He's had a long career with some very good moments and seems like a really solid guy. I would say no just like I don't think Hendo should've gotten that title shot. I prefer to see the top guys getting the shots they earn with victories.

That would be awesome but super unrealistic. I wonder how his career would have been if he wasn't plagued with Lyme disease for so long. I had Lyme for over 10 years, it's f'ing brutal.

Hear me out on this.

Miller has the most fights in the UFC and is one behind Cowboy for most wins. He has fought the who’s who of the Lightweight division over the years. His win record has been inconsistent and due to that has never managed to get himself into the title fight.

Similar to the Dan Henderson title shot vs Bisping, I would love to see Miller be awarded a title fight off the back of being a vet/legend, as well as him starching his opponent last night. Ok it was a no name debut fighter he beat, but a knockout like that at 38 years old against a guy in his 20’s is still impressive.

Plus he has history with Poirier and Oliveira. On top of having the most fights in UFC history and second most wins in UFC history, to say he had at least one crack at the title is what he deserves at this point. Forget long win streaks, he’s a legend of the sport and has earned it through the years fighting best of the best. War Miller.

I could definitely see that and Jim Miller might even beat oliviera. But I really can’t see the UFC making that fight. If oliviera loses to DP like Tony Ferguson did to JG. Jim Miller could maybe get a matchup with oliviera again. But that’s probably not gonna do it either. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jim Miller against cowboy - that would be a good last fight for cowboy.

Honestly, I don't mind this idea. It's not like the UFC is known for giving a title shot to whoever deserves a title shot. Its choice of challengers is sometimes very random, so why not Miller.

Hear me out on this.

An undeserved title shot...that would force Dana to ask Conor if it is OK that he gives Miller one of Conor's undeserved title shots away.

I was actually initially impressed with what I thought was a satirical post.
But then you decided to go full retard
<Kpop775>

Back