Give Jim Miller a Lightweight title shot

Antix

Champion Cheeto Fingers
@Green
Reaction score
Hear me out on this.

Miller has the most fights in the UFC and is one behind Cowboy for most wins. He has fought the who’s who of the Lightweight division over the years. His win record has been inconsistent and due to that has never managed to get himself into the title fight.

However the Lightweight title fight coming up is Poirier v Oliveira.

Jim Miller is 1-1 with Oliviera
He lost a majority decision with Poirier

Similar to the Dan Henderson title shot vs Bisping, I would love to see Miller be awarded a title fight off the back of being a vet/legend, as well as him starching his opponent last night. Ok it was a no name debut fighter he beat, but a knockout like that at 38 years old against a guy in his 20’s is still impressive.

Plus he has history with Poirier and Oliveira. On top of having the most fights in UFC history and second most wins in UFC history, to say he had at least one crack at the title is what he deserves at this point. Forget long win streaks, he’s a legend of the sport and has earned it through the years fighting best of the best. War Miller.

Last edited:
haha-no-at-first-i-lold.gif

Great feel good win aside for the vet,but he also came fairly close to potentially getting finished himself earler in the fight to a new comer. Modern Day Oliveira likely runs through Miller. Top of LW is hotly contested at the moment. There really isn't room for an undeserving Miller. Miller was never a previous double champ, nor did he have any victories like Hendo had in his career where Hendo moved up 2 weight classes to TKO fedor at HW. Miller is a great guy, and fun to watch. But he just dosen't belong in there for the belt. And honestly, where he's so close to the all time wins record you really should be giving him winnable fights to make a run at that while he can. Let's be real here. The Hendo fight was mostly a farce at the time and he has huge legacy behind him. Jim as lovable as he is was never really anything more than an entertaining mid card guy.

Love Miller but Dana White would not make this happen. Miller is not even ranked in the top 15. Don't get me wrong I would love to see him get a shot at the title. But no way it happens, barring a miracle.

Great feel good win aside for the vet,but he also came fairly close to potentially getting finished himself earler in the fight to a new comer. Modern Day Oliveira likely runs through Miller. Top of LW is hotly contested at the moment. There really isn't room for an undeserving Miller. Miller was never a previous double champ, nor did he have any victories like Hendo had in his career where Hendo moved up 2 weight classes to TKO fedor at HW. Miller is a great guy, and fun to watch. But he just dosen't belong in there for the belt. And honestly, where he's so close to the all time wins record you really should be giving him winnable fights to make a run at that while he can. Let's be real here. The Hendo fight was mostly a farce at the time and he has huge legacy behind him. Jim as lovable as he is was never really anything more than an entertaining mid card guy.

All that aside.

Do you really want the winner of Gaethje v Chandler to fight for the title again? Jim Miller in a title fight this late in his career with the longevity / legend status he has, off the back of folding his opponent like a lawn chair. I’m way more invested in Miller v Oliviera/Poirier for the title.

I also think as with any Miller fight, they’re both a 50/50 and that adds to my interest in seeing him try and get one crack at the title. It would be Bisping esque in terms of feel good factor if he won the belt.

I like it, but it doesn't make sense. Too much fuckery with title shots and favorable rankings as-is.

Also the promo for a Miller v Oliviera title fight, with clips of them both getting wins via submission against each other in the first round.

Sign. Me. Up.

All that aside.

Do you really want the winner of Gaethje v Chandler to fight for the title again? Jim Miller in a title fight this late in his career with the longevity / legend status he has, off the back of folding his opponent like a lawn chair. I’m way more invested in Miller v Oliviera/Poirier for the title.

I also think as with any Miller fight, they’re both a 50/50 and that adds to my interest in seeing him try and get one crack at the title.
I honestly expect Islam to be given the next shot if he gets by Hooker. Gaethje vs Chandler might be for the next shot I guess if they have an unforgettable fight I suppose. But with backing from Khabib im really expecting Islam to be pushed into the next title fight spot. Also being real I don't even expect Oliveira to remain champion long enough for your theoretical situation to matter. Maybe he does sure, but I'm leaning towards Poirier beating him. And if that happens, it makes even less sense than it already does to push Miller up the rankings. At the very least at least Hendo was inside the top 15 rankings when he challenged(and it still didn't make sense). Miller isn't even ranked.

I hated the Hendo titleshot. That shit wasn't right, but atleast he was 1-0 vs Bisping at the time.

Oli already rematched Miller and pretty much ran him over. Hendo was also ranked. How much of an OG Miller is, it's hard to justify getting him a titleshot now. That would actually be the most ridiculous titleshot of all time.

I hated the Hendo titleshot. That shit wasn't right, but atleast he was 1-0 vs Bisping at the time.

Oli already rematched Miller and pretty much ran him over. Hendo was also ranked. How much of an OG Miller is, it's hard to justify getting him a titleshot now. That would actually be the most ridiculous titleshot of all time.

Miller also steamrolled Oliviera in their first fight.

Jim Miller was never the same after Lyme disease and isn't even a gatekeeper this point. OP's reasoning makes no sense either cause the Hendo title shot was a mistake that should never be repeated.

Jim MIller would have done better against Khabib than Poirier, Conor or Gaethje. His skillset actually would matchup better against Khabib than those guys.

I believe it.

<{Joewithit}>
Jim Miller got outgrappled and taken down by Poirier in their fight and this is after Poirier's leg gave out to calf kicks. Khabib's opponents apparently suck at grappling but his opponents have outgrappled some decent grapplers themselves. Pure lunacy.

Jim Miller is forever tho.

l@nd0

Jim Miller was never the same after Lyme disease and isn't even a gatekeeper this point. OP's reasoning makes no sense either cause the Hendo title shot was a mistake that should never be repeated.

<{Joewithit}>
Jim Miller got outgrappled and taken down by Poirier in their fight and this is after Poirier's leg gave out to calf kicks. Khabib's opponents apparently suck at grappling but his opponents have outgrappled some decent grapplers themselves. Pure lunacy.
nice memory, everyone talks about dustins kicks to jim but they forget they both tore each other up that night

No thanks.

Give Miller fights that he seriously has a shot of winning at this point. He almost got taken out by Ghost Pepper, who seemed very average.

I want to see him just keep racking up relatively easy wins, keep making cash, and make it to UFC 300 like he wanted.

I'm a gigantic Jim Miller fan. But that would make a mockery of the division and sport.

It worked with Hendo because he was a former world champion with a GOAT KO over Bisping. But he was also ranked (I think) and had just put away Lombard. His recent losses were to DC, Mousasi, and Vitor- not Pichel, Holtzman, and Solecki.

It also worked when Fedor fell out of the first Nog fight- because Hendo had a W over him, too.

Jim is worthy of being fast-tracked to a title. If he takes out a ranked fighter or two,, I could see it happening. But it can't happen off a win over a UFC newcomer.

No thanks.

Give Miller fights that he seriously has a shot of winning at this point. He almost got taken out by Ghost Pepper, who seemed very average.

I want to see him just keep racking up relatively easy wins, keep making cash, and make it to UFC 300 like he wanted.

He can still do the latter, after a title shot.

Back