Give an example of a "pillow fist" fighter?

Barboza... all leg power no handz boi

But he clearly has more stoppage and knock downs by punches than a lot of lhws

Can’t be considered pillow fisted by any measure

By the measure of being a professional fighter who has trained his punching power for 20 years and still doesn't have 1 punch ko, he is.

We just differ on what pillow fisted means, but each to his subjective own.

pauline malignaggi
ChillyEarnestGoitered-size_restricted.gif

What happens when he fights a 0-0 boxer that can actually fight
BelatedDisloyalEagle-max-1mb.gif
Where is the rest of that footage from the Conor "sparring"?

By the measure of being a professional fighter who has trained his punching power for 20 years and still doesn't have 1 punch ko, he is.

We just differ on what pillow fisted means, but each to his subjective own.

1.gif

shogun-chuck.gif

sorry for pushing it so much -- just that shogun is my fav all time since his pride GP run -- going to drop subject now

Last edited:
Sonnen and Shields come to mind for 170 and above. A lot of guys in the lower weight classes don't have much power.

I disagree with the Diaz brothers, they don't throw most of their punches with anything close to full power because they are trying for volume. but they hurt people when they land clean with a full power punch.
Disappointed in Jake, as he and Gil use to teach at Fairtex SF, along with training there with Diaz bros, Faber, Castillo, JB, Cariaso, Terrell, Irvin, Smith, Soto, etc etc.. yet the Thai boxing never translated to any of their mma skill sets, beside JB, Cariaso, and Irvin. But if watching any those I listed in an actual Muay Thai styled fight or sparring session, they look natural at it.. even the Diaz Bros check kicks when doing just Thai Boxing rounds.

1.gif

shogun-chuck.gif

sorry for pushing it so much -- just that shogun is my fav all time since his pride GP run -- going to drop subject now

Hence why I said twice out of 20 finishes. Find me another one and I'll agree :)

It has more to do with style than how hard someone could hypothetically punch. Every athletic adult male has the power to knock someone out if they put everything into a punch. But look at fights like RDA/Lawler, you'd think hundreds of punches from a 170lb man would knock someone out, but not when they're being thrown high volume at half-power.

Most fighters that are perceived as having pillow fists are reallyjust fighting in a way which allows them to win through pressure/volume rather than loading up for a big KO (and gassing when they fail)

Nah, I don’t think it’s that simple.

It doesn’t take that long to load up power shots and once in motion the shot isn’t any slower.

I would argue that more velocity = more energy/power in a strike once it is thrown.

Maybe they are just poor finishers?

Bad at setting up power shots?

Doesn’t use proper body mechanics?

Back