Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Gina Carano is an Evil Transphobe

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Canned Tuna, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:25 PM.

1. BIKES! So then I said... Double Yellow Card

What about people who find pronouns oppressive? Genderqueer, look it up.

This game of wokeness is fun. Pretty soon all words will be bad.

2. TestosterOWN ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้้้#O͙ͦͯͦͯ͛

I don’t take anyone seriously who puts their preferred pronouns in their bios or signatures or wherever.

3. MRT Black Belt

Why does it bother you if someone 'tells you what they think they are'?

Like I said...it is most common in certain contexts, like education, healthcare, etc. where gender identity is relevant. Your banker, barber, mechanic, store clerk, etc. likely don't care or need to know...and it will almost surely never become 'common' to put pronouns in email signatures for the vast majority of people...but for educators, counsellors and healthcare providers, people in social services, etc., and simply those with a big platform who wish to show support, it can be relevant.

The use of pronouns in that manner amounts to visible representation (by those who are trans) and support (from non-trans people) and has been shown to not only raise awareness, signal understanding and indicate a positive environment....it can actually save lives. There have been many cases where the existence of passive visible supports, even without any direct interaction between individuals, has been enough to prevent teen suicides, for example. I could provide you with examples...but I'm guessing you're not interested (which is fine).

It's perfectly fine if this has no bearing whatsoever on your life...and no one is asking you to take some major interest in it either...but instead of 'just laughing' or find something 'stupid', why not take a moment and ask yourself "I wonder why they do that" and consider the issue from the perspectives of those for whom it apparently does matter.

4. salamander Blerd Belt

It's based entirely on a observably false premise.

5. MRT Black Belt

Well, I guess my next question would be how you arrived at that position, because the reason likely falls into one of two broad categories: One, you have not gone beyond the surface of the topic and have simply decided it is all obviously bullshit...or you do acknowledge and understand the the claims, concepts, evidence, etc. provided by those who elaborate on the topic, but you still disagree with it based on some contrary claims or evidence and just have chosen to just sum it up as you did.

6. MRT Black Belt

A great example of why it is important to not assume that everyone holds the same beliefs and attitudes, just because they fall into some broader category (like LGBT...or 'liberal'...or 'conservative'...or 'white'...or 'black').

7. salamander Blerd Belt

I've spoken with a few trans people. I've read numerous articles. I've talked to a professor who teaches biology (I used to work for two universities) the whole movement is based on a false premise, bolstered by gaslighting, emotional manipulation, bullying and a deliberate misinterpetation of statistics.

Gender is personality, sex is immutable. Sex isn't assigned at birth, just observed and recorded. The material reality of an autogenophile should have no bearing on another individual's world view. To inflict that reality on a person is immoral. It's mental slavery.

Bald1 likes this.
  8. salamander Blerd Belt

When people get in trouble for saying things like "No man is capable of menstration, nor can a man give birth and breast feed." then it's time to do what Gina has done and make a point of sticking your principles.

It reminds me of what they Dixie Chicks went through during one of the Gulf Wars. People have to realize nothing will ever be enough for Woke-o Haram. J.K Rowling, Gina are real feminists because they don't centre their concepts of womanhood on the feelings of mediocre men and their enablers. They are heros because regardles of the mob, they are adhering to their principles.

Bald1 likes this.
  9. MusclesMarinara Friends with Bigfoot

Pro tip if some one asked your prefered pronouns, the answer is 'guess'. Puts the onus on them.

n...not crazy likes this.
  10. MRT Black Belt

You hit on various points that illustrate why there is a distinction between gender identity, gender expression, and biological sex (whether someone considers it 'assigned at birth' or 'observed and recorded' is less interesting, IMHO)...and the topic becomes even more complex when we get into to what extent society ought to recognize and accommodate differences.

The terms and phrases you use are quite loaded in presenting differences as negative and that acknowledging such differences is to 'inflict' them upon, and 'mentally enslave', those to whom they don't apply...and "the whole movement" can't be characterized in the manner you present, given that there is substantial variation within it. Also, doesn't autogenophilia essentially reduce identity to feelings of sexual arousal? That is rather limiting...and AFAIK, research in that domain doesn't suggest that concept explains all trans reality, but I am certainly not well versed on that topic (or trans topics in general). I would say that many suggest that identity begins to develop well before 'arousal' comes into play, so I'm not sure how useful it could be if someone where to try to use it to explain all trans reality.

Some of this goes well beyond the topic at hand though...the question is to what extent we might acknowledge and accommodate trans 'realities' as a society instead of just laughing at or dismissing them (and the broader topic of how we 'value' certain realities over others, or how we assign positive, neutral, and negative value to differences). I also wonder why so many people only look at the fringe/extreme end of any movement instead of taking a closer look at the topic to flesh out the substance from the rhetoric and the people who 'go too far'. It might be easy to roll our if someone stands up in a huge meeting and freaks out because gender-neutral pronouns are not being used or who thinks everyone should use pronouns in their profiles or email signatures...THAT amounts to the 'inflicting' and 'mentally enslaving' onto others that you caution against. But that is looking at the extreme end and doesn't really account for why would be overtly mocking those who choose to do those things or explain why someone doesn't choose to try to understand the issue instead of laughing at it and labelling it 'stupid'. There is a middle ground.

11. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

People can do and say wtf they want and idc, but I have no interest in taking part in encouraging someone's mental disorder. It's really that simple for me.

12. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

She's one of the main characters on one of the most popular shows on TV. I don't think she's some sort of megastar but in terms of show biz she has some relevance.

Whether she gets derailed by all this nonsense I have no idea.

Personally IDGAF if people put pronouns in their email or whatever, but trying to bully someone else into doing it is horseshit.

13. MRT Black Belt

That is why we need to differentiate between what I will call the 'lunatic fringe' and an overall movement, rather than pretending that ALL people within that movement believe and do those things. It is more often the case that most people within any movement do not agree with the what the extremists within that movement believe and do.

14. Teppodama Red Belt

And yet, they by and large don't actually come out in any numbers or with authority to denounce that fringe element and assure society that they don't speak for the majority or to repudiate their actions. The majority for the most part may not want to get their own hands dirty so to speak, but are more than willing to enjoy the fruits of the actions taken by their fringe. That's not restricted to just the Trans community though.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  15. MRT Black Belt

Whatever you choose to believe is your business and no one should be *compelling* you to take an interest in anything...I very much support that.

I think the country would be better off if there was less mocking and division, and more dialogue and attempts at understanding people whose beliefs and reality is different than our own...coupled with focusing on the majority within any movement, rather than the fringe/extreme elements within it.

16. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

It makes sense for those whose gender identity is unclear. Those who give off the whole "It's Pat" vibe.

17. MRT Black Belt

I wouldn't disagree. I think there is no one better positioned to reign in the fringe element than members of that broader movement/group.

The sad part is that the fringe will often turn on members of their own movement, if those members come out and denounce them, and that can have serious consequences for moderates because the voice of the fringe is so loud and influential...that is what makes the fringe particularly dangerous, IMHO.

I'm not sure what the solution is when that dynamic is coupled with such a hyper-partisan environment that we currently experience. It seems very difficult for moderate liberals to get together with moderate conservatives to have productive discussions, given the fringe elements on each side, the media on all sides that highlights that fringe, and politicians and leaders who won't confront the fringe either.

18. degoj99 Purple Belt

My institution wants everyone to do it to show support for the trans people. The only people who have non-obvious pronouns are those who work in the LGBTQ office. At least so far as I've seen in the several years since the pronoun push.

19. degoj99 Purple Belt

Hate to break it to you man, but moderates statistically are the fringe now. We have a very bimodal distribution, which is why there is so much hate. I'm a moderate, and I've got wingnuts on both sides telling me I'm wrong LOL. 3%ers & BLM - that's our new reality.

Bald1 likes this.
  20. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

I don't think that's true. I think they're just loud. You're in the silent majority.

degoj99 and Reyesnuthugr like this.