Gimmicks So Bad, That They Shouldn't Have Worked...But Did

I like Goldust but never figured out how the gimmick was conceived. The only thing I know was that drugs were involved lol.

The Hardy Boys/z iirc weren't a gimmick per se but more like young guys eager to make a name for themselves by outstunting any other tag team in the biz.

The Hardy Boys/z iirc weren't a gimmick per se but more like young guys eager to make a name for themselves by outstunting any other tag team in the biz.

"Matt, Jeff, I've got a great idea for you two. Remember The Hardy Boys?"

"Umm, those old kids books? Detective stories, right?"

"Yeah! They're all the rage these days with the kids. That's you guys."

"Huh?"

"You're The Hardy Boys! We gotta spell 'boys' with a 'z' though, to avoid lawsuits. Anyways, good luck guys!"

"Umm, Is this a rib?"

"Not at all. Why would it be? You don't like it?"

"Oh' no, Vince. We love it. We'll make it work. Even if we have to dive off of a thousand ladders, and risk our lives every single night with very ill advised high risk maneuvers one after the other, we'll get that fucker over."

Mankind could've quickly been lumped in with Bastion Booger, Mantaur and all the other ridiculous cheese of the mid 90"s WWF if Mick wasn't so talented
He was originally gonna be named "Mason...the MUTILATOR" by Vince but Mick talked him out of it.

I was thinking of him, but then I thought "Who wouldn't get over bringing a ho train down to the ring? You gotta suck extra hard not to make that shit work."

He was great though. Really put his all into that character. It was nice to see him finally get his due, after so much garbage he worked through. The guy has run the gauntlet of gimmicks, and he always put a great effort into whatever shit character they gave him. Finally something clicked for the poor guy.
He almost left in 96 to play the Vincent role in the NWO.

Wasn't he Bone Street though?

I have to imagine Taker tried to help him.
He was looking at a 3 year deal with some fat guaranteed money from WCW. Virgil was a lot cheaper though.

The Model
The Repo Man

Martel definitely got The Model over and that gimmick lasted for years.

I don't think Darsow got The Repo Man over though, that gimmick didn't last long and was his second worst gimmick after his late 90's golfer gimmick. It's weird how he spent the 80's with decent gimmicks like Krusher Khruschev and Smash, just to spend the 90's doing "career outside of wrestling" gimmicks like the Repo Man, the mack truck driver Blacktop Bully, and the pro golfer Mr. Hole In One.

moppy-wwe1.jpg

This shit was supposed to be a punishment.

Eugene.
Booker becoming a king in 06.

Context matters...

-Goldust was a cutting edge heel at the onset of the AE.
-Kane was brought in as the foil to Taker, and had PB as his mouthpiece.
-Cena looked and acted like a juiced-up w*****, which would have been easy to push with the target demographic in the early 2000's.

None of these gimmicks are inherently bad.

Honestly, a guy coming to the ring with a snake could have been quickly forgotten if Robert's wasnt the amazing story teller and character he was. Most evil man in PW, and it possibly is one of the greatest overall gimmicks ever, in fact the snake in the bag was ultimately an afterthought after all the promos and underhanded way of thinking, the warped view that seemed oddly more in line with reality and survival of the fittest. Took the right guy to pull all of it off.

I look at a guy like Aleister Black today, and I know the promos are scripted, but if not for the awesome entrance and in ring work, a guy like Black looks like a pussycat with these weird promos and knock on my door shit. People can day what they want about Bray, and the Fiend costume is stupid, but he has done good work with the Firefly Funhouse bits and makes a guys who SHOULD be terrifying (Black) look like a pussycat primarily because the ability to cut a real and devoid of any sanity type of promo really makes the difference.

I never got how the evil and supernatural gimmicks got over, but Robert's was destined to be over as anyone in business, and if you saw all of them on the same show watching a wrestling program for first time in your life, no promos just entrance and matches, youd think guys like Taker and Black and Wyatt were fucking monsters and Robert's a guy with a snake for some reason.

In AEW 75% of roster is some evil, mentally depraved, or supernatural gimmick, kinda starting to look a little weird tbh, and now coincidentally you have Robert's introducing his client who is the dark side coming to AEW, and some exalted one who is gonna lead the dark order who lost all heat imo and honestly had huge spots as a tag team an now just play the dirty cheater roles to look more evil when they look like idiots.

I agree with Mankind, too. Should have been a short lived gimmick, went much further.

I never got the Dudleys, but enjoyed them none the less, the new age outlaws was terrible but they went far, RVD came off like a JCVD knockoff on drugs but look where he got... no idea why Goldberg was so over, but the guys they tried the same with weren't. Goldberg not even real, beat up by Jericho and manhandled by Regal who misunderstood a direction to make their match close affair...

Razor Ramon too, I mean... as far as I can tell his gimmick was thug/coke dealer/criminal, but for some reason competing professionally in tights for the prestige of being best. Another example of a dude who made it work and work well.

The current crop of wrestling talent around the globe is outstanding, the inring work is so evolved, but what lacks in wwe is the power of the promo, what lacks in aew is a little of that and a serious imbalance with the roster and the gimmicks, starting to look like a halloween party, and NJWP seeming like only place where anything is sacred, although AEW still young, just too many WCW like pitfalls imo.

The concept behind Mexicools sounds too laughable to work but somehow those three got it over for a while.

Tatanka was pretty out there and likely would not fly today, but he had a good run back in the day.

Any luchador who had success in the US.

Seems topical...

Edge

Keep in mind this dude had a promo of himself mysteriously staring at streets and screaming to build on. That was his template.

Doink_The_Clown_bio--d812af66f6c6534b9c2a2e739e36abf7.jpg

...and i loved it.

Hulk Hogan

Seriously? How could a 6'8 300lb jacked USA Hero beating up evil foreigners and promoting all American values with charisma oozing out of every spray tanned pore not work?

Seems topical...

Edge

Keep in mind this dude had a promo of himself mysteriously staring at streets and screaming to build on. That was his template.

Might as well roll the Brood into this conversation.

Honestly, a guy coming to the ring with a snake could have been quickly forgotten if Robert's wasnt the amazing story teller and character he was. Most evil man in PW, and it possibly is one of the greatest overall gimmicks ever, in fact the snake in the bag was ultimately an afterthought after all the promos and underhanded way of thinking, the warped view that seemed oddly more in line with reality and survival of the fittest. Took the right guy to pull all of it off.

I look at a guy like Aleister Black today, and I know the promos are scripted, but if not for the awesome entrance and in ring work, a guy like Black looks like a pussycat with these weird promos and knock on my door shit. People can day what they want about Bray, and the Fiend costume is stupid, but he has done good work with the Firefly Funhouse bits and makes a guys who SHOULD be terrifying (Black) look like a pussycat primarily because the ability to cut a real and devoid of any sanity type of promo really makes the difference.

I never got how the evil and supernatural gimmicks got over, but Robert's was destined to be over as anyone in business, and if you saw all of them on the same show watching a wrestling program for first time in your life, no promos just entrance and matches, youd think guys like Taker and Black and Wyatt were fucking monsters and Robert's a guy with a snake for some reason.

In AEW 75% of roster is some evil, mentally depraved, or supernatural gimmick, kinda starting to look a little weird tbh, and now coincidentally you have Robert's introducing his client who is the dark side coming to AEW, and some exalted one who is gonna lead the dark order who lost all heat imo and honestly had huge spots as a tag team an now just play the dirty cheater roles to look more evil when they look like idiots.

I agree with Mankind, too. Should have been a short lived gimmick, went much further.

I never got the Dudleys, but enjoyed them none the less, the new age outlaws was terrible but they went far, RVD came off like a JCVD knockoff on drugs but look where he got... no idea why Goldberg was so over, but the guys they tried the same with weren't. Goldberg not even real, beat up by Jericho and manhandled by Regal who misunderstood a direction to make their match close affair...

Razor Ramon too, I mean... as far as I can tell his gimmick was thug/coke dealer/criminal, but for some reason competing professionally in tights for the prestige of being best. Another example of a dude who made it work and work well.

The current crop of wrestling talent around the globe is outstanding, the inring work is so evolved, but what lacks in wwe is the power of the promo, what lacks in aew is a little of that and a serious imbalance with the roster and the gimmicks, starting to look like a halloween party, and NJWP seeming like only place where anything is sacred, although AEW still young, just too many WCW like pitfalls imo.
The Dudley's? Crazy guys in pedo glasses that enjoyed beating the sh*t out of women. Pretty fun at the time.

Back