Social Gillette gone feminist and fighting toxic masculinity. Good Luck getting the feminists to shave

I'm also getting tired of bullying being presented as a overwhelmingly male problem when it's clearly the opposite

Those middle school girls earned their rep for a reason

That is the entire point. Channeling natural male tendencies in the right way, not the wrong way. Taking the natural tendency towards aggression, and teaching boys to be assertive instead of being bullies. Using the natural tendency to competition and teaching boys to be leaders. Being strong, courageous, and principled is not under attack.

It's a negative ad. It's that simple.

Nobody is watching that ad and being inspired to be a better person.

I'm also getting tired of bullying being presented as a overwhelmingly male problem when it's clearly the opposite

Those middle school girls earned their rep for a reason

Those suckers eat their own . . .

I think my biggest problem with the ad is the term "toxic masculinity". God created masculinity, and gave us testosterone in our veins. Masculinity is not toxic and can't be. What the Gillette ad showed was bullying and some bad behavior/immorality.

The term "toxic masculinity" was created by feminists who hate men and hate masculinity in men. Gillette would have been better to never use this term. It would have gone better for them. But there were other subtle problems with the ad in my opinion. But toxic masculinity was the biggest.

I agree that they should have avoided the term. Most politicized terms carry too much baggage and should be avoided. People have trouble defining them, and groups cannot all agree on a common definition. Toxic masculinity is a term that I can make perfect sense of, but it is used in ways that I would disagree with. The same goes for the term white privilege. I don't have any trouble at all understanding the concept, and I find certain aspects of it to be completely obvious. But I hear it used in ways that are ignorant and nonsensical a lot of the time.

If you haven't noticed, one of the (many) things that I am frustrated by in regards to our current political climate is the dependance that people have on catchphrases, buzz words, and slogans. I think those things should be avoided at all costs during discussion. They dumb down the conversation and they muddy the waters.

It's not a negative ad.

You see it that way, but that's on you.

I did not make a judgement on whether the PSA was done well, or done poorly. That would be a subjective take, and you are welcome to yours.

But even if you think the PSA is terrible, people make fools of themselves by fabricating messages that were not there. There are rational ways to criticize a PSA, and that is not one of them.

IMO one of the biggest issues with the ad is they take a lot of viral videos out of context.

d34skghm1za21.jpg

The negative reaction is ridiculous.

I don't think it is.

This ad paints men as if they're all criminals. There's no positive message. I don't think anybody disputes that standing up against bullies is a good thing etc. Intuitively people feel attacked by this ad, and that applies to the majority who don't bully, sexually harass etc.

The only thing about this ad that was missing was a bit about manspreading.

I don't think it is.

This ad paints men as if they're all criminals. There's no positive message. I don't think anybody disputes that standing up against bullies is a good thing etc. Intuitively people feel attacked by this ad, and that applies to the majority who don't bully, sexually harass etc.

The only thing about this ad that was missing was a bit about manspreading.
I think you are greatly overestimating how many people feel personally attacked. This thread is literally the only place I have seen anyone upset about the ad.

However, I have seen a lot of people in real life making fun of the hysterical reaction of some oversensitive dudes.

The only people who feel attacked are people who on some level identify with the bad behaviour in the ad.

Personally, I find it heavy handed, and an obvious attempt to rebrand Gillette for the 21st century.

Getting outraged and boycotting Gillette is an irrational and somewhat pathetic reaction to what is basically a PSA apologizing for Gillette's outdated brand identity.

People are taking it so personally. I don't, because it is not criticizing my behaviour. I am not a bully, and I am not a creep.

I think you are greatly overestimating how many people feel personally attacked. This thread is literally the only place I have seen anyone upset about the ad.

However, I have seen a lot of people in real life making fun of the hysterical reaction of some oversensitive dudes.

The only people who feel attacked are people who on some level identify with the bad behaviour in the ad.

Personally, I find it heavy handed, and an obvious attempt to rebrand Gillette for the 21st century.

Getting outraged and boycotting Gillette is an irrational and somewhat pathetic reaction to what is basically a PSA apologizing for Gillette's outdated brand identity.

People are taking it so personally. I don't, because it is not criticizing my behaviour. I am not a bully, and I am not a creep.

I think you are kind of naeve. The ad is part of a broader trend. It's just a very prominent one because of what Gillette represents.

The idea that people who disagree with an ad that basically tars all men with the behaviour of a tiny minority, are suddenly the people who are the perpetrators of said behaviour, is retarded logic.

People have a natural BS meter, and this ad triggers it. Not because of what it is, but because what it's layered on top of. Many people aren't on board with the emasculation of men agenda.

The idea that people who disagree with an ad that basically tars all men with the behaviour of a tiny minority, are suddenly the people who are the perpetrators of said behaviour, is retarded logic.

People have a natural BS meter, and this ad triggers it.

Well, I happen to specialize in retarded logic.

And the ad definitely triggered my BS meter, because I don't believe for a second that Gillette gives a fuck about toxic masculinity.

Regardless of the motivation, the idea that men should confront creeps and bullies is correct.

I don't think it is.

This ad paints men as if they're all criminals. There's no positive message.

This is just objectively untrue though. The histrionics are completely unnecessary. If you don't like the PSA, you have to be able to find an honest way to criticize it.

I completely understand why some people would not like the ad. I do not understand, at all, how people could be so dramatic about it.

Are you sure you're not a creep? According to the ad, if you see an attractive woman on the street and go to chat them up, you're a filthy creep.

Are you sure you're not a creep? According to the ad, if you see an attractive woman on the street and go to chat them up, you're a filthy creep.
It really depends on how you do it. The creep in the ad was being a creep. If you can't tell the difference, that's on you.

It really depends on how you do it. The creep in the ad was being a creep. If you can't tell the difference, that's on you.

He literally saw a girl, and turned to go after her. That's it. How was he being a creep?

Back