Gilbert's current ranking?

Unlike the press, I don't have him top 2. I just don't see it.

At this point I don't care though. Let's just throw him in there and find out.

He has done nothing to be #2.....

He is #5-7 and thats pushing it. Thomson beat him in the last fight (in a close fight).

He is gonna get beat in the UFC and beat some fringe top contenders. Then move down to FW after losing a couple fights

He's behind Bendo, Maynard, Diaz (not that we'd ever get to see Diaz prove he is better), probably Miller, Pettis and Cerrone as well. I think Lauzon is about where he is at.

So if Edgar and Guida are no longer lightweights, then I think he belongs at #7. He hasn't fought the best comp, that's a fact (and yes, I remember the UFC LW > WEC LW thing as well, but SF is a different case) and not fighting the best comp limits where he can be rated. He needs to beat some of the aforementioned guys to boost his rank, and he isn't a great chance against some of them.

He's tough to rank because he's been inactive and his last good win on a Championship level was Kawa, almost 2 years ago.

A lot has happened since then, so #3 would be highest. You can't ignore Cowboy's activity, him losing only 1 of his last 9; and Pettis losing only 1 of his last 7, winning the WEC belt in that span. Nate also beat Cerrone and Miller. Gil still beat Aoki and hasn't lost since Thomson.

#3 spot is between him and Maynard, Gray only lost to Edgar. Yep, a fight between them would be good now that Edgar isn't the champ anymore and Gray can thus get a title shot again.

It's hard to rank him. He definitely isn't #1 though, Bendo has been beating better fighters

I don't see why people are saying he isn't top ten though. He is obviously top ten

I'd put him at the fringe of the top 10 at this point. I think he has the potential to be ranked much higher but rankings are based on what you've done, not what you have the potential to do. I don't think it's fair to rank him above other top 10 fighters who consistently face top 10 opponents.

Honestly, if we look in the rear window, he doesn't have any really solid wins.

Beating Aoki is good, but Aoki is Japanese so of course he has been highly overrated (this coming from a Pride fanboy). Aoki has amazing submissions but that's it. Thompson is a good win (and question is if he Gil won in their last encounter), but it's a win that doesn't warrant a top 5 ranking.

Gil is a talented fighter but based on the guys he has beat, there is NO WAY he's above top 5. If anyone states otherwise, they are incorrect, it's as simple as that.

On the other hand, I think the "who did s/he beat" rankings are worthless as an on/off-night can result in a mediocre fighter moving up the ladder ahead of better guys. Serra was rated #1 as he had amazing luck beating GSP - but we all know that Serra has never, and will never, come remotely close to being the #1 guy in a division. If I were to rank Gil based on his actual skills, which is the ONLY way you can rank him above #5, I'd still say he falls in the #5-10 range. He looks good, but he doesn't look like a top 5 guy in my opinion.

He's no higher than top five IMO because the only top ten fighter he's recently beaten was Aoki.

I wonder why Bass always lists him as the best LW in the world. Just curious...

LW:
1. Benson
2. Melendez
3. Maynard

FW:
1. Frankie
1. Aldo
3. Curran

He's no higher than top five IMO because the only top ten fighter he's recently beaten was Aoki.

He beat Kawajiri too, who was 7th and had just dominated Thompson, Crusher was a legit top 10 guy and might become top 10 at FW.

Back