Gilbert Melendez Can Finally Call Himself A UFC Fighter

Lethal

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
"When people tell me, 'Yo, you fight UFC?' I can finally say, 'Yes, I fight*UFC*now,'" said Melendez, during a recent interview with*Sherdog.com. "For a minute that was a hard question to answer, but I think that might be the most rewarding thing about it."

Melendez was expected to compete on the final*Strikeforce*card, but a shoulder injury suffered in late 2012 kept him off the event. Now, he will make his next appearance inside the Octagon.

Full article here:
http://www.FightLine.com/fl/news/2013/0110/552539/gilbert-melendez/

Thank God
Him vs pettis or gray would be a good first fight or maybe straight to bendo

I'm so loving all of these strikeforce guys coming over.

Unfortunately I think we'll see he isn't as good as the hype hopes he is.

Despite his last performance, I'd be just fine if he was to face Bendo in his debut

star-trek-nodding.gif

When people tell me, 'Yo, you fight UFC?' I can finally say, 'Yes, I fight*UFC*now. For a minute that was a hard question to answer, but I think that might be the most rewarding thing about it.

Gotta love Gil. What a hilarious dude.

To support my post above, and after watching his fights, lets take a look:

Can he beat:

Henderson- No
Maynard- No
Cerrone- No
Pettis- No
Diaz- No
Chandler, Alvarez, Miller, Edgar (at that weight)- maybe

He's hardly Top 5 and he'd have to beat a top 10 to verify the hype and I'm not sure he can do that.

cool. now who should he fight? maynard anyone?

Gray can start training full bore in approx 3 weeks.
The stars might very well align for an April Card vs Gil. I do know that he's expressed interest in that fight. Whether his Handlers are actively pursuing that I'm not aware.

I'd say top ( edit :) 5 or 6 fight to get his feet wet . Shake the octagon jitters .
No Need to rush these SF fighters . Create better match ups and build up the hype that way IMO

Let him rape Melvin's soul as an introduction to the UFC fanbase...

To support my post above, and after watching his fights, lets take a look:

Can he beat:

Henderson- No
Maynard- No
Cerrone- No
Pettis- No
Diaz- No
Chandler, Alvarez, Miller, Edgar (at that weight)- maybe

He's hardly Top 5 and he'd have to beat a top 10 to verify the hype and I'm not sure he can do that.

Wow. That's an overwhelming amount of evidence. I believe you now.

Nice thing about this discussion verses say these superfight discussions is we'll actually be able to know really soon. There is no way he'll beat Cerrone. If that's where the people are at in their thinking, that's the fight I'd like to see.

Back