Media Gilbert Burns targeting Nate Diaz

nate going radio silent underground for 1 year and after that going to tweet he is running this game

same reason other people who train with kron aren't mundials champions. in fact, kron isn't a mundials champion.

them being very close to kron personally also doesn't somehow elevate their jiu jitsu to world class levels. it certainly doesn't hurt that they're training with a monster like kron - and he is an absolute beast in jiu jitsu - but training with world champions does not put you on their level. marcelo garcia is a jiu jitsu god. there are a bunch of competitors who train with him day in, day out, and they're not coming anywhere close to a world title, ever.

and lol at using the ryan hall match from 2007 as some sort of measuring stick. they were purple belts at the time. purple belts. there was a guy named hayliks who used to post on the grappling forum back in the day who was annoyed by the hype ryan hall was getting around that time. hayliks said he would leglock him, and he went and sought him out in a tournament... and leglocked him. as shocking as it may be, ryan hall was not the beast he is today 13 years ago. besides, penn was what, 10 years past his prime when hall owned him?

i mean there's so much to unpack here it's just weird. is this some next level mma math?

I just think people sleep on the Diaz bros jiujitsu pedigrees cuz they like brawl and slap people...but there life long gracie jjujitsu students and have a plethora of knowledge about BJJ from its creators at there finger tips...if nate or nick wanted to be grappling champions, probably more adcc champions then maybe mundials (mundials may have been allittle bit of a boast on my part) they could be they have everything they need around them already ...they just dont compete all that much

Yeah not gonna happen, Nate will not take this "opportunity" lol.
BitesizedAbandonedFlicker-max-1mb.gif

I dont think so...the diaz bros where to busy chasing mma titles to go for bjj ones but if they did they would be mundial or adcc champions or top contenders...there basically gracies.. They roll. With and studied under two different heads of gracie jiujitsu carl and hickson ...they grapple with kron all the time
Uh

No. Just no.

Yeah i mean I dont doubt that they a really good, but your statement seems a little far fetched to me. Only because you roll with certain people doesnt make you their equal and claiming they wouldve certainly won a major bjj title is easy to say when they never tried.
I for sure go with the actual accomplishments of Durinho over an estimation based on training partners.

As ive said on here before i think people sleep on the Diaz bros bjj credentials cuz of the swagger they have and the brawler mindset when they fight but if u really look at it..theres no real reason outside of them choosing not to compete for adcc or major bjj titles that they wouldnt be champions..i mean nate tapped kurt pellegrino he was pretty high level... Theres glimpse of there potential in there fights...but i get what ur sayin its hard to trust that there that good cuz they havent gone for it

Bj penn is still legit as they come on the ground...dont be silly
You're the one being silly. BJ Penn was great on the mat, but he hasn't trained for real in over a decade. Look at the results. He was never the same fighter after the first Edgar fight.

Penn at his best wouldn't have been submitted by either Diaz brother.

And I fucking hate Penn.

Thank GOD this is just submission underground. Burns aiming for an actual fight against Nate would be fucking stupid. Mods, move this to Grappling Discussion please.

The guy who leg locked the ghost of BJ Penn. That sub is less impressive than the fat guy in the parking lot that knocked BJ out.
Bjj doesn’t decay at the same rate as a fighters chin. It’s apples to oranges bud.

Bj penn is still legit as they come on the ground...dont be silly

Bjj doesn’t decay at the same rate as a fighters chin. It’s apples to oranges bud.

OK, when was his last submission win in competitive BJJ or MMA?

I actually looked it up. His last competitive win in BJJ was 2000. So just the 20 years ago.
https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/bj-penn-wiki

In MMA it was Kenny Florian in 2009. His last win of any kind was 2010.

Last edited:
As ive said on here before i think people sleep on the Diaz bros bjj credentials cuz of the swagger they have and the brawler mindset when they fight but if u really look at it..theres no real reason outside of them choosing not to compete for adcc or major bjj titles that they wouldnt be champions..i mean nate tapped kurt pellegrino he was pretty high level... Theres glimpse of there potential in there fights...but i get what ur sayin its hard to trust that there that good cuz they havent gone for it
I dont sleep on them at all. I pretty certain that they are really really good.
I just go with the former IBJJF champ.

I just think people sleep on the Diaz bros jiujitsu pedigrees cuz they like brawl and slap people...but there life long gracie jjujitsu students and have a plethora of knowledge about BJJ from its creators at there finger tips...if nate or nick wanted to be grappling champions, probably more adcc champions then maybe mundials (mundials may have been allittle bit of a boast on my part) they could be they have everything they need around them already ...they just dont compete all that much
i don't sleep on their jiu jitsu because they punch people. it has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that they have neither displayed the skill, nor have the credentials for there to even be an argument in their favor against someone like durinho - who did win worlds in BJJ and has wins over people like leandro fucking lo. he is (or was, when he was active in BJJ) a legit world class talent.

my point here isn't that they aren't very good at jiu jitsu. they are legitimate black belts, good enough to submit other legitimate black belts. they're also professional athletes, which puts them well above a level of the average black belt you'll meet in regular gyms. they are good. really good.

but there are levels to this, and they are so far below the top level it's comical to suggest they have potential to win. to put things in perspective: victor estima is another world class bjj competitor (and brother of world champion braulio estima). in 2011, he owns people left and right effortlessly in any smaller tournament. he easily beats serious professional competitors. he is by all accounts one of the best active competitors in the world, is ranked as true elite of the sport. in ADCC, he meets eventual tournament winner marcelo garcia and gets choked out by him in under a minute.

point being, while the diaz bros may be good, the guys who win worlds and ADCC are out of this world good. in fact, they're so good they make nick and nate look clueless. not because they really are clueless - they certainly aren't - but because the actual champions are unfathomably skilled.

You're the one being silly. BJ Penn was great on the mat, but he hasn't trained for real in over a decade. Look at the results. He was never the same fighter after the first Edgar fight.

Penn at his best wouldn't have been submitted by either Diaz brother.

And I fucking hate Penn.

Bj penn was a world champion at bjj ...i dunno what ur even trying to say as i would say prime bjj taps burns and diaz ...

Nate is now officially everyone's rankings bookmark.

It's the same thing with Nate or Masvidal, they'll reply and talk shit on social media while doing everything they can to duck the fight.

i don't sleep on their jiu jitsu because they punch people. it has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that they have neither displayed the skill, nor have the credentials for there to even be an argument in their favor against someone like durinho - who did win worlds in BJJ and has wins over people like leandro fucking lo. he is (or was, when he was active in BJJ) a legit world class talent.

my point here isn't that they aren't very good at jiu jitsu. they are legitimate black belts, good enough to submit other legitimate black belts. they're also professional athletes, which puts them well above a level of the average black belt you'll meet in regular gyms. they are good. really good.

but there are levels to this, and they are so far below the top level it's comical to suggest they have potential to win. to put things in perspective: victor estima is another world class bjj competitor (and brother of world champion braulio estima). in 2011, he owns people left and right effortlessly in any smaller tournament. he easily beats serious professional competitors. he is by all accounts one of the best active competitors in the world, is ranked as true elite of the sport. in ADCC, he meets eventual tournament winner marcelo garcia and gets choked out by him in under a minute.

point being, while the diaz bros may be good, the guys who win worlds and ADCC are out of this world good. in fact, they're so good they make nick and nate look clueless. not because they really are clueless - they certainly aren't - but because the actual champions are unfathomably skilled.

Yea i hear on most of that..but using marcelo as a bench mark is just insane as there will never be a marcelo again...the guy was phenom...did shit no1 else will...burns gets slapped by marcelo and so does nate...prime for prime

I understand im.dealing with unknowns and it makes me seem off base versus a guy like burns who did win worlds... I just dont think it would be such a stretch that could of been world champions if they went that route instead of being interested in NHB fighting and then MMA...

what? it's a physical activity. it doesn't decay when you're talking about penn rolling with regular people at the gym. it absolutely does when you're talking about a competition, doubly so when it's an actual mma fight.

people seem to think that just because someone reaches a certain level of skill in any art, they stay at that level forever and will always be able to perform at their finest. it's ridiculous. ability to perform in BJJ is very much dependent on physical attributes, not to mention time actively spent on the mat. i mean hell, you're an amateur fighter. take 6 months off and tell me if you're still as sharp as you were when you come back to roll for the first time.

penn was talking about how his knees are so hurt he can't even lock triangles properly anymore... in 2015. which isn't really all that surprising, since it's 15 years after his mundials championship win, and he spet most of that time in a sport that's probably even more grueling on the joints.

Cant like, but THIS!

OK, when was his last submission win in competitive BJJ or MMA?

I actually looked it up. His last competitive win in BJJ was 2000. So just the 20 years ago.
https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/bj-penn-wiki

In MMA it was Kenny Florian in 2009. His last win of any kind was 2010.

U cant win if u dont compete...Bj won the worlds..he didnt need to compete or want to after that...first American to do it...you dont just fall off it cuz you dont compete as hard as u use too...hes still elite just not as young

Bj was rolling with nova uniao guys in 2018 holding his own with guys like aldo....dont let the headline fool u please

Back