Gil Melendez Appreciation Thread

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
9-3 in title fights. He became Strikeforce LW Champion and defended the belt once, before losing it to Josh Thompson. Then he won the interim LW title, defending it once. He unified the titles in a rematch vs. Thompson, then went on to defend the belt 4 times, never losing it, and he avenged his only 2 up to that point against Thompson and Ishida. He was 0-2 in UFC title fights, a split decision loss vs. Bendo and a submission loss vs. Showtime. One of the greatest fights of all time vs. Diego Sanchez, when Gil's skills had started to diminish, and he still had crazy heart. In his prime he was one of the best LW's ever, and I think a case can be made that he is one of the top 5 LW's of all time. What are your favorite memories of El Nino?

Last edited:
Smashing Kawaljeri at Shockwave.... beautiful violence, loved Gilbert in his heyday

Definite top 5. Sad how quickly his legacy is being forgotten about

I remember him leaping into Aoki’s guard with some nasty gnp

Melendez v Diego Sanchez is still one of my top 3 fights.

Decent analyst as well.

Remember him knocking out Bozo Palling and then after hanging out with him at Pipeline nightclub. I regret that I never got to train with him. Really nice guy.

reebok_giblert.png

Here's a hot take.

Gil is my favorite Skrap Pack member.

Fucking juice head, career is a fraud.

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Just like the gif and a suprising number of fighters that still find ways around. I have no idea about Gil, but it's a petty argument this day an age, some will always be ahead while others get sloppy. The one reason I believe Pride will always be the pinnacle of MMA, they let everyone be super human....and made for some specticals that will never be repeated. Yakuzu, roids, early fixes....blah, blah...best eva

One thang I'll give Gil and the rest of the Cesar crew....they entertain....always, and that's what it's all about. Something Dana and the UFC, with their boxing copycat structure, never seem to capture at its best

One of my favorite fighters of all time. I had him winning the Bendo fight.

Melendez Vs. Penn in 2009 would have been epic.

One of my favorite lightweights ever. He used to be a violent man in SF.

Back