1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media Giga 'Ninja' Chikadze: Max Holloway Easier fight than Volkanovski — He Will Be Walking with Crutches

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sada555, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Sada555 Banned Banned

Seems that he's hellbent on going after Max
    Do you think he see's something we don't? or is he in for a rude awakening?

“I think Max would be an even easier fight for me,” Chikadze told Submission Radio. “I know the weakness of Max more. I didn’t really study much Alex. I mean, he’s such short fighter, I’m gonna have a lot of advantages. This is what I believe. I know a lot of people are gonna say this and that, but I think that’s a great match-up for me.”

I believe Max needs to fight me to go to the title shot next time,” the Georgian “Ninja” said. “No one really wants to see Max and Alex fight again and again and again. I have a seven-fight win streak, very busy guy with the fights. People want to see this fight. He said he’s the best boxer, right? I know I’m the best striker. So, this fight is going to be a standing fight, and I guarantee you when the fight finishes he will be walking with crutches.”

2. Marko Polo In Klopp We Trust Platinum Member

Maybe he just has something for Max. Like Weidman spent his whole career training for Anderson, Max spent a lot of time at the top and up and coming fighters will have been training to take him out.

greenhawk and 13Seconds like this.
  3. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

This guy talks a lot about Max. He seems obsessed. Also his decision to claim that he purposely didn't sub Edson because he promised a finish was wolf tickets and made his post fight speech about respecting Barbosa ring hollow, which stood out to me. I didn't particularly care for it.

Either way, I think he needs to win another fight or two to get a fight with Max, or at least have another finish in his next bout. He's obviously a good fighter but he's still got some things to prove, in my opinion.

I think Max brings pressure and pace he hasnt seen before and backing into the cage like he did against Edson won't work this time. I think he's hoping to get a fight with Max since he knows Max will stand with him, but if Max were to mix it up, he might be in trouble even more so.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  4. WHALEWOLF Green Belt

Didn't Kattar speak similar words?
    [​IMG]

5. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Where the hell is Zabit and Yair? Come on guys. You're letting Giga steal your thunder.

6. Mammothman Gold Belt

Once Max is done with Yair hopefully he id matched with Giga, its going to be fireworks

7. Gamer007 Black Belt

Max doesn't mix it up with his grappling anymore, is very susceptible to low kicks which we saw twice against Volk.

His utilization of high volume kicks is almost non existent, he's a relatively strait forward fighter to prepare for based on the last few years.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Giga is chasing this fight, it's a strait forward matchup and Giga will have openings to do serious damage throughout.

8. fortheo Titanium Belt

No, kattar didn't. It was the media hyping kattar's boxing up that got under Max's skin. Other than kattar saying he was doing mma longer and planned on treating max like a freshman, he never said anything like what giga is saying, and he didn't call himself the best boxer as far as I remember.

Ironnik94, BooBoyMan and Phisher like this.
  9. Drugstore Cowboy Banned Banned

No name guy trying to call out all-time great fighter in order to make a shortcut to glory. I've seen this before.

No fight for you, son. Max Holloway is next for the winner of Volkanovski-Ortega.

10. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Max has shown the ability to change his game plan and alter what he's bringing to the fight. The difference between the first two Volk fights is night and day. I think if he finds early success against Giga with what he normally does, he'll stick with it. If he doesn't, he'll mix it up more and adjust his approach.

I 100% agree with your assessment of why Giga is asking for this fight though. The pressure and the fact that it in his eyes would be all standup does play into his speed and style, and there's nothing wrong with him being confident in his ability. I still think Giga needs to win another fight to earn it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made this fight next.

11. sdpdude9 Red Belt

I would actually agree Holloway is probably a more stylistically favorable match seeing as he mostly a striker and likes to bang as opposed to Volk who tends to mix it up and fight safe. That said, I definitely would favor Holloway in that fight.

fifinex and Substance Abuse like this.
  12. moreorless87 Straba

Generally I think you could argue that Chikadze has enough power that Max's typical pressure game might not work as in the Dustin match, marching forward taking shots hoping to out cardio/chin Giga would potentially be a mistake.

13. electricfuneral Red Belt

u really gotta earn a fight with Max.

14. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Blessed.

Grandpa Giga beats two aging veterans older than he is, both who are damn near on there way out, and he thinks he has what it takes to beat Max?

<TheWire1>

The guy who still hasn't even hit his prime yet, and has been a 3x Defending World Champion facing the best of the best for years? Yeah okay buddy.

<YeahOKJen>

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  15. BigDramaShow26 Brown Belt

Max has 100x the durability that Barboza has. Max might get wrecked for 2 rounds like he did vs. Aldo in their first fight and he will keep the pressure on, whether he is limping forward or not

fifinex likes this.
  16. drbolony -El Styles-

Not that he see's something per say, just an easier style match up (for him based on his striking pedigree), and a guaranteed title shot. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Hope Giga has been working on his phone booth fighting, or else he may be in for a rude awakening. Max eats him alive in the pocket imo.

Ironnik94 likes this.
  17. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Interesting take. I think im with this.

It's not that far fetched to believe that Volk is a more complicated matchup for him. Volk can pretty much do everything and has a different gameplan everytime. Max Holloway, as good as he is, has a style that's easier to prepare for if you're a kickboxer.

Marko Polo likes this.
  18. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

No question. In theory that's more than likely the case. That said, the last time Max had to change his game up, he did so very well after that first Volk fight and continues to find more wrinkles in his game than we thought he would use. I know he's capable in mixing it up but he rarely has to.

19. Satan's Daddy. Black Belt Platinum Member

People shouldn't underestimate shorter people. I've learned that lesson playing football and having a 4-5'4 dude leap on the back of my neck and yank me down during my junior high days.

20. HeDidn'tWantTheFight Green Belt

Max would be entitled to fight the winner of Volk/Ortega right now as it is, particularly if it's Ortega. From my understanding, he's taking this next fight due to him wanting to stay active. If he takes care of Yair the way we expect him to, then he's not fighting Giga before another title shot.