Gifted programs continue to be destroyed because they aren't diverse enough

Oh shit I'm going to own this fucking libtard

*unironically posts tweet of a random murder while living in a country with a higher homicide rate than sudan*

Well, it's the only kind of news from Finland that gets attention, not the work of all the apparent gifted geniuses in every school there.

Well, it's the only kind of news from Finland that gets attention, not the work of all the apparent gifted geniuses in every school there.
* Free universal daycare, preschool, and kindergarten, not just babysitting but active play and guidance for social and cognitive development

* Reading for fun is heavily promoted. Every family is given 3 books when their baby is born and Finland publishes more children's books per capital than any other country.

* Academics don't start until 7 and there's only 9 years compulsory so you're done at 16. After that you can do 3 years non-compulsory vocational training or college prep, your choice.

* To qualify as a teacher you have to graduate top third of your university program. Teachers are highly respected and given a ton of training but also a ton of autonomy (they even choose their own textbooks). Collaborative work with other teachers is highly encouraged and the school admin has s lot of freedom as well.

* There's no tracking - all kids are mainstreamed together and get the same basic education. Gifted students are expected to help struggling students so everyone can succeed. They strive hard to ensure that every school is high-quality and gets comparable support.

* A lot of time is spent on non-academic activities like arts or trade skills and everyone is expected to learn two foreign languages in addition to their native language.

* Homework is kept to a minimum so kids have time for extracurricular activities.

* There is no high-stakes testing. The government does some random testing to ensure that the system as a whole is performing but only some students are tested at random and neither schools nor students are penalized for low scores.

* There are a few "private" schools but even those are funded by government grants. Private schools are barred from charging tuition and must accept every child who is eligible for the local public school.

* Finland regularly finishes top-ten in international PISA testing in both math and reading, sometimes placing #1.

Why wouldn't they try to help correct any conditions that preclude more non-whites from joining these gifted programs? Just take it away instead? Hmm. Says a lot about how these phony politicians really feel and their ability to make positive changes. Hate to see Seattle go from one of the smartest cities to a hive of mediocrity and dumb dumbs.
Yes, removing this program would instantly render all students dumb and is just a giant conspiracy to dumb down children by evil parents that eat babies. :rolleyes:

* Free universal daycare, preschool, and kindergarten, not just babysitting but active play and guidance for social and cognitive development

* Reading for fun is heavily promoted. Every family is given 3 books when their baby is born and Finland publishes more children's books per capital than any other country.

* Academics don't start until 7 and there's only 9 years compulsory so you're done at 16. After that you can do 3 years non-compulsory vocational training or college prep, your choice.

* To qualify as a teacher you have to graduate top third of your university program. Teachers are highly respected and given a ton of training but also a ton of autonomy (they even choose their own textbooks). Collaborative work with other teachers is highly encouraged and the school admin has s lot of freedom as well.

* There's no tracking - all kids are mainstreamed together and get the same basic education. Gifted students are expected to help struggling students so everyone can succeed. They strive hard to ensure that every school is high-quality and gets comparable support.

* A lot of time is spent on non-academic activities like arts or trade skills and everyone is expected to learn two foreign languages in addition to their native language.

* Homework is kept to a minimum so kids have time for extracurricular activities.

* There is no high-stakes testing. The government does some random testing to ensure that the system as a whole is performing but only some students are tested at random and neither schools nor students are penalized for low scores.

* There are a few "private" schools but even those are funded by government grants. Private schools are barred from charging tuition and must accept every child who is eligible for the local public school.

* Finland regularly finishes top-ten in international PISA testing in both math and reading, sometimes placing #1.

Thanks. You could have just left a url for this. Whatever it has to do with the topic.

As someone who was in a Johns Hopkins gifted program at age 13 for my 700m 630v SAT score and now shares an internet classroom with you due to the dismantling of the "non retards only" War Room, it's my social obligation to point out that because someone murdered their GF, you can't extrapolate on education or immigration policy at a universal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who was in a Johns Hopkins gifted program at age 13 for my 700m 630v SAT score and now shares an internet classroom with you due to the dismantling of the "non retards only" War Room, it's my social obligation to point out that because someone murdered their GF, you can't extrapolate on education or immigration policy at a universal level.

I was simply joking about what's in the news out of Finland, it's not the work of the geniuses in every classroom he's bragging about.

I was simply joking about what's in the news out of Finland, it's not the work of the geniuses he's bragging about.
And by joking you mean "google random immigrant rape in country where education policy was praised for inclusion"

Didn't have to google. It's already viral.
Yes I forget you do have an existing obsession with anti-immigration rhetoric and right wing blog shares, so I apologize and shouldn't have assumed you did any research.

Yes I forget you do have an existing obsession with anti-immigration rhetoric and right wing blog shares, so I apologize and shouldn't have assumed you did any research.

Ironic since your first post was implying this was due to lack of funding. But it's the nature of progressives to accuse others of what they are guilty of themselves. I understand.

Ironic since your first post was implying this was due to lack of funding. But it's the nature of progressives to accuse others of what they are guilty of themselves. I understand.
Guilty of what? Pointing out the irony of people who support defunding of public schools and anti-education candidates then crying when programs get cut at a public school as soon as there's a racial axe for them to grind?

Best thing about it was he edited it back in

Can practically hear the inner monologue.. "You know what would take this post over the top to own this libtard"..*posts tweet*.."check and mate, good sir"

Best thing about it was he edited it back in

Can practically hear the inner monologue.. "You know what would take this post over the top to own this libtard"..*posts tweet*.."check and mate, good sir"

Still waiting for the Finns to cure cancer or AIDS or do some such thing. It seems like such a waste of such genius if they don't got the resources to apply their talents.

Maybe it's only in LA, but that's where I grew up in the 90s. The smart kids didn't "lift up" the other kids. The dumb kids in the classroom were disrupting the classrooms, ruining it for the smart kids. Kinda like section 8. Only takes one to ruin the entire neighborhood.

Maybe it's only in LA, but that's where I grew up in the 90s. The smart kids didn't "lift up" the other kids. The dumb kids in the classroom were disrupting the classrooms, ruining it for the smart kids. Kinda like section 8. Only takes one to ruin the entire neighborhood.
Yes exactly like Section8 lol. Jesus christ no.

The most disruptive slow learners were put in remedial or assisted ed. Often the smartest kids would be disruptive in regular class (I was) when the material was too easy or easy to understand. I went literally years without learning "how to learn" in various aspects of math or documenting my work because mental computation came so easily. I'm also glad I wasn't exclusively in some sort of gifted program because socializing and diversity is important. I was lucky to have well off parents and a good school system with supplementary funding out the ass for afterschool or supplementary programs, but did find that most of the kids who would be on say, Math team with me, would also be the ones who could afford private stuff like Kumon.

That's a universal truth, and it applies to everything everywhere. A healthy eater hanging out with a bunch of fatties will gain weight before any of the fatasses lose weight, a non druggie hanging out with a bunch of junkies doesn't clean them up, it just makes the non druggie more likely to do drugs, a non criminal hanging out with a bunch of criminals doesn't prevent the criminals from doing anything, it just makes the other one more likely to become a criminal. We've accepted peer pressure, bad influence and "falling in with a bad crowd" for years, which is why there isn't a single rehab facility in the world that tells people getting clean or sober to "go hang out with all your old drinking and drug buddies and hopefully you'll rub off on them", and why people who get rich and continue hanging out with poor people usually wind up declaring bankruptcy.

This is just another reason why anybody with smart kids who can afford it sends their kids to private schools.

On one hand we hate schools and think they're indoctrination centers while on the other hand we are mad at "gifted programs continuing to be tore down"

{<huh}

As in "Kids will be taught a basic social justice curriculum when they could and should be learning advanced academic skills"? How is this in any way contradictory?

Yep. Far more good will be done for the whole of the class by removing the disruptive students than by removing the above average students.

Of course, schools have generally (in NA at least) been doing everything they can to insure that the most disruptive students are included under all but the most extreme of conditions, between
barring removal and mainstreaming.

There’s likely no perfect balance between promoting the best, insuring the worst get the most they can, and achieving the expected standards for the norm, but constantly aiming at the worst seems unlikely to have the most positive outcome.

I'm also glad I wasn't exclusively in some sort of gifted program because socializing and diversity is important.

They still let the gifted kids run around in the yard.

They still let the gifted kids run around in the yard.
That's like saying you learn how to work with people of different collar types (blue white etc...) by going to a bar and having a beer with them. Which doesn't cover all practical aspects of what social skills and differences need to be learned.

Being in social settings for structured learning and team projects where you need to communicate your ideas to others are critically important.

Back