Gifted programs continue to be destroyed because they aren't diverse enough

Oldest did Duke TIP. Crushed the ACT in 5th grade and then again just prior to starting 7th grade. Youngest is in 6th grade but will be taking the ACT soon and probably doing TIP next year. These talent search programs have some summer camps and add-on stuff but nothing that’s really a replacement for high school. They send letters and make recommendations to the school for dual enrollment, grade acceleration, early college admission, but schools are going to do whatever their policy is. I’ve thought about moving back to where I came from, but everyone is settled here, and only me and my oldest kid have a strong desire to move back. Wife and I are making a lot more money here, wife and youngest don’t want to move back, so it’s not an easy situation to navigate.
This is why I said IEPs earlier. Almost every school district is obligated to do more than general policy, once you push for the IEP. That's policy also. They don't tell you about IEPs because they don't want to be forced to go outside of their norms. But if you ask for one, the school district is required by law to develop one specific to your child's educational needs - including gifted children.

Once they develop it AND you approve it, they are obligated, again by law to implement it as soon as possible.

Also, that's what the Iowa Acceleration Scales are for - to give you an objective assessment on grade acceleration that is nationally recognized. You can bring that, ACT scores, IQ scores, etc. to your IEP development meeting to make sure that the plan matches your kid's ability. If you want more detail than what I'm giving you right now then go find an education lawyer to get into the weeds.

But if you're going to sit around and wait for a school district to initiate a massive curriculum departure for a single student then you're deluding yourself. Of course, you can always go high end private, they're often flexible enough.

You didn't even bother to read it before you commented did you? It has nothing whatsoever to do with lack of funding. It's solely due to objections over the racial makeup of the gifted programs.

Actually, what's ironic is that many of the parents with the means will most likely put their kids into private schools with their own gifted programs, if not read the writing on the wall and move to a place with better options. While the poorer minority kids and/or white kids who legit qualify for these programs are left with no program.

rekt

Maybe it's only in LA, but that's where I grew up in the 90s. The smart kids didn't "lift up" the other kids. The dumb kids in the classroom were disrupting the classrooms, ruining it for the smart kids. Kinda like section 8. Only takes one to ruin the entire neighborhood.
This is reality, don't let the retards convince you otherwise. I'm from New Orleans and I can tell you this is the reality of it.

This is why I said IEPs earlier. Almost every school district is obligated to do more than general policy, once you push for the IEP. That's policy also. They don't tell you about IEPs because they don't want to be forced to go outside of their norms. But if you ask for one, the school district is required by law to develop one specific to your child's educational needs - including gifted children.

Once they develop it AND you approve it, they are obligated, again by law to implement it as soon as possible.

Also, that's what the Iowa Acceleration Scales are for - to give you an objective assessment on grade acceleration that is nationally recognized. You can bring that, ACT scores, IQ scores, etc. to your IEP development meeting to make sure that the plan matches your kid's ability. If you want more detail than what I'm giving you right now then go find an education lawyer to get into the weeds.

But if you're going to sit around and wait for a school district to initiate a massive curriculum departure for a single student then you're deluding yourself. Of course, you can always go high end private, they're often flexible enough.
So I talked to the school and also an education advocacy IEP consultant person not with the school and they both suggest I find a new attorney if I had been encouraged to pursue this for my kid. I was sent a list of requirements for an IEP here and it doesn’t seem to match.

That's a universal truth, and it applies to everything everywhere. A healthy eater hanging out with a bunch of fatties will gain weight before any of the fatasses lose weight, a non druggie hanging out with a bunch of junkies doesn't clean them up, it just makes the non druggie more likely to do drugs, a non criminal hanging out with a bunch of criminals doesn't prevent the criminals from doing anything, it just makes the other one more likely to become a criminal. We've accepted peer pressure, bad influence and "falling in with a bad crowd" for years, which is why there isn't a single rehab facility in the world that tells people getting clean or sober to "go hang out with all your old drinking and drug buddies and hopefully you'll rub off on them", and why people who get rich and continue hanging out with poor people usually wind up declaring bankruptcy.

This is just another reason why anybody with smart kids who can afford it sends their kids to private schools.

This is a wonderful message. Tragically, the vast majority of folks still insist that a "non-druggie hanging out with a bunch of drug addicts WILL clean all of the drug addicts up."

In this example, I think of drug addicts as being a very poisonous and very toxic bag of tea. The cup that is filled with clean, pure water will be the non-druggie.

What happens when a bag of tea is put into a cup of water? The cup of water will inevitably be filled with the poisonous and toxic tea bag.

Back