[GIFS]Bar none best boxer in the sport(Alexander Gustafsson)

My favorite hands moment in MMA was this:

aleksander-emelianenko-o.gif

Plenty do but's called "Matrixing" here because something like slipping and dodging a punch is incredibly magical and out of this world.

That was the best outcome of Silva getting knocked out. Now we don't have to hear teenagers constantly use the term "matrix" to describe basic boxing.

Well, it depends what you mean by "the sweet science". Boxing is a very nuanced sport with many styles. If you're asking for the slickest, I'd likely say Silva. That doesn't necessarily make him the best. Barao is a very basic boxer and he isn't above taking the odd shot, but some of the things that he has been able to do have impressed me. For example, he was able to basically nullify McDonald's offense after the first round of their fight. If we're talking purely hand speed and power, I'd say that McDonald is top 3 p4p in the sport and by many he is regarded as one of the best boxers. He has never really had to learn how to get inside on fighters before, though (because no one he was fighting had the craft to prevent him from just barging in). Barao was able to adjust to McDonald, break his rhythm and prevent him from getting inside and setting his shots up, all because his jab was active and effective and McDonald's was not.

Other fighters like Edgar have shown a great ability adjust to great MMA jabs. Against both Penn (first fight) and Aldo, he was battered by the jab in the early going until he slowly started gauging his opponents' timing, slipping the jab and countering it, and attacking at different angles behind his own jab. By the middle of the fight against each of these fighters, he was able to change the whole complexion of the fight and effectively take the second half by making adjustments.

All of this is boxing. It's hard to really say who the best is in the context of MMA. I can generally say who is good for the sport, though.

I think Frankie Edgar is overrated when he comes to boxing tbh. While he does have proper footwork. He has no purpose in his movement and doesn't sit on his punches at ALL. Which is annoying to watch for me.

Not any worse then Gustaffsons tats.

20110919-122534.jpg

alexander_gustafsson.jpg

Yea, I'm not a big fan of his spade tattoo with triangles as wins and loses. His other tattoos are nice though, the dog and the redskins thing lol, don't really know what its called.

I think Frankie Edgar is overrated when he comes to boxing tbh. While he does have proper footwork. He has no purpose in his movement and doesn't sit on his punches at ALL. Which is annoying to watch for me.

Frankie has flaws in his boxing game, no doubt. His movement undoubtedly has purpose, though (even if at times it can be a tad excessive, though I say this as a technical critique because it causes him to occasionally square himself up and lose control of distance). Frankie not "sitting down on his punches" is something often cited on here. The fact is, if Frankie were to sit down and throw everything hard in the pocket with most fighters, he wouldn't fair too well. He's not a spectacular puncher. More often than not, he throws to land, first and foremost. When he starts to break a fighter down and as the fight wears on, he tends to sit down more on his shots (he sat down plenty against Maynard, Bendo and Oliveira after he had gotten into his rhythm). He's not a big puncher. That's just a fact. He fights according to his strengths (tremendous cardio, reasonably quick feet and sound balance and coordination). It would be foolish to question someone like Joe Calzaghe for not throwing every punch with knockout intent from round 1 onwards.

I sort of agree with you, But JDS is not even in the top 20? Don't be ridiculous. If you can name 20 fighters with better boxing then go right ahead.

Frankie
Anderson
Aldo (known for his MT but has great boxing)
GSP
Nick
Nate
MM
Mendes
Gus
Rashad
Bisping
Lil Nog
Cruz
Mousasi
BJ (before he gasses)
Vitor
Faber
Condit
Pettis (known for kicks but great boxing too)

Skill wise they all have better boxing

Frankie has flaws in his boxing game, no doubt. His movement undoubtedly has purpose, though (even if at times it can be a tad excessive, though I say this as a technical critique because it causes him to occasionally square himself up and lose control of distance). Frankie not "sitting down on his punches" is something often cited on here. The fact is, if Frankie were to sit down and throw everything hard in the pocket with most fighters, he wouldn't fair too well. He's not a spectacular puncher. More often than not, he throws to land, first and foremost. When he starts to break a fighter down and as the fight wears on, he tends to sit down more on his shots (he sat down plenty against Maynard, Bendo and Oliveira after he had gotten into his rhythm). He's not a big puncher. That's just a fact. He fights according to his strengths (tremendous cardio, reasonably quick feet and sound balance and coordination). It would be foolish to question someone like Joe Calzaghe for not throwing every punch with knockout intent from round 1 onwards.

His movement like you said, messes up his own range (Major flaw), which then he has to find again and that right there annoys me when it comes to watching him fight because if he were to be more efficient in his movement,he'd outclassed most of his opponents. Instead of having close fights, where it can go either way.

Are these gifs really jerky for anyone else?

They're terrible (especially the third one), but the TS has such great eyes that you don't need to actually see the punches for yourself!!

What about rogerio's boxing? Isn't he a better boxer than gustafsson?

They're terrible (especially the third one), but the TS has such great eyes that you don't need to actually see the punches for yourself!!

Yes they can be better, but be fucking thankful that I made them anyways for you guys. Because I know what I saw and I could have kept it to myself but I didn't.

His movement like you said, messes up his own range (Major flaw), which then he has to find again and that right there annoys me when it comes to watching him fight because if he were to be more efficient in his movement,he'd outclassed most of his opponents. Instead of having close fights, where it can go either way.

I think Edgar is maximizing his success with his style. A reason why he does dart in and out (at times in a manner that leaves him susceptible for a few different reasons) is to come in at different angles and to also set up his shots. Against the level of opposition that he has been facing, I don't see him winning convincingly regularly. Close fights with the likes of Bendo (I have the unpopular opinion of thinking their second fight wasn't all that close, whereas I thought their first fight was razor close), Maynard (razor close 2nd fight and a finish in the 3rd fight) and Aldo (I thought that fight was very close, though I'd say the best Edgar could have possible hoped for would have been a draw) aren't really anything to be ashamed of. That's the creme de la creme, and Edgar isn't naturally inclined to be a finisher.

No he's not. There's are guys at the lighter weights with better boxing.

I think Edgar is maximizing his success with his style. A reason why he does dart in and out (at times in a manner that leaves him susceptible for a few different reasons) is to come in at different angles and to also set up his shots. Against the level of opposition that he has been facing, I don't see him winning convincingly regularly. Close fights with the likes of Bendo (I have the unpopular opinion of thinking their second fight wasn't all that close, whereas I thought their first fight was razor close), Maynard (razor close 2nd fight and a finish in the 3rd fight) and Aldo (I thought that fight was very close, though I'd say the best Edgar could have possible hoped for would have been a draw) aren't really anything to be ashamed of. That's the creme de la creme, and Edgar isn't naturally inclined to be a finisher.

I think it's his style that's holding him back.

Mad respect for Gus, I have to admit I underestimated him vs. Jones, he is the real deal.
I can't wait to watch him fight again (especially a rematch vs. Jones).

I respectfully disagree with you though (about him being the best boxer in the sport).

As did I rewatched it again , and I still score it for Jones but , man Alex's boxing looks better every time I rewind it , impressive for a guy 6'5" and having to be wary of the TD.

Back