[GIFS]Bar none best boxer in the sport(Alexander Gustafsson)

That's tough to say. I could name many fighters who I think have solid boxing fundamentals. Wineland, Barao, McGregor, Makdessi, Swanson, MM, Dodson, Aldo, Gustafsson, Edgar, GSP, Penn (back in the day), Pettis, Chandler, Silva, Cormier, JDS, Cormier, Cain, Cruz, Mousasi, Weidman, Michael Johnson and so on.... I think it is rather difficult to simply declare one of these fighter to have the best boxing in the sport.

But but but ... someone has to be declared the best or else I have no reason to watch!!

:p

Who's a better HW MMA "boxer" than JDS?

He just got soundly outboxed by Cain Velasquez in an MMA context. Unless you want to ask who would win in a "pure boxing match" at which point I don't really care because neither are professional boxers.

That's tough to say. I could name many fighters who I think have solid boxing fundamentals. Wineland, Barao, McGregor, Makdessi, Swanson, MM, Dodson, Aldo, Gustafsson, Edgar, GSP, Penn (back in the day), Pettis, Chandler, Silva, Cormier, JDS, Cormier, Cain, Cruz, Mousasi, Weidman, Michael Johnson and so on.... I think it is rather difficult to simply declare one of these fighter to have the best boxing in the sport.

Out of the guys you mentioned who do you think comprehends the sweet science behind boxing the best?

Based on the Jones interviews it seemed like his gameplan was to try to outbox Gus, then he went out there and got lit up which is funny.

I don't know about the entire sport, but not many guys are better punchers than Gus at 205

Its crazy just how overrated HW is due to its popularity. JDS is not even top 20 in MMA boxing

I sort of agree with you, But JDS is not even in the top 20? Don't be ridiculous. If you can name 20 fighters with better boxing then go right ahead.

James-Toney.jpg

Lol I never noticed he had the Superman logo tattooed on himself. Smh

I bet you only made that claim after the Jones fights.

yea lets see him box jds lol..
before shogun gassed he was making guss's head **** back from those rights

Out of the guys you mentioned who do you think comprehends the sweet science behind boxing the best?

Well, it depends what you mean by "the sweet science". Boxing is a very nuanced sport with many styles. If you're asking for the slickest, I'd likely say Silva. That doesn't necessarily make him the best. Barao is a very basic boxer and he isn't above taking the odd shot, but some of the things that he has been able to do have impressed me. For example, he was able to basically nullify McDonald's offense after the first round of their fight. If we're talking purely hand speed and power, I'd say that McDonald is top 3 p4p in the sport and by many he is regarded as one of the best boxers. He has never really had to learn how to get inside on fighters before, though (because no one he was fighting had the craft to prevent him from just barging in). Barao was able to adjust to McDonald, break his rhythm and prevent him from getting inside and setting his shots up, all because his jab was active and effective and McDonald's was not.

Other fighters like Edgar have shown a great ability adjust to great MMA jabs. Against both Penn (first fight) and Aldo, he was battered by the jab in the early going until he slowly started gauging his opponents' timing, slipping the jab and countering it, and attacking at different angles behind his own jab. By the middle of the fight against each of these fighters, he was able to change the whole complexion of the fight and effectively take the second half by making adjustments. In both of these fights, the jab was really what determined who was in control and having success. When Edgar took it away, he began to get the better of the fight.

All of this is boxing. It's hard to really say who the best is in the context of MMA. I can generally say who is good for the sport, though.

Are these gifs really jerky for anyone else?

they're about 4 frames each

at one point i think i did see what looked like some sort of punch thrown though, his arm was bent in one frame then straight in the next one. good point TS.

Ive always thought he was one of the best bpxers in MMA.

also just because you dont have Paul Daley type explosion in your punches doesnt mean youre pillow fisted..

Most sherdoggers dont know what slipping a punch is or how much science and technique is incorporated in something like that. Most these geeks dont know how to throw a punch.

Plenty do but it's called "Matrixing" here because something like slipping and dodging a punch is incredibly magical and out of this world.

Back