gif of lawlers awesome spin from the guard

Thats what 170 pound weight class looks like Wow.

robbie-lawler-jake-ellenberger-mma-ufc-173-lawler-vs.-ellenberger.jpg

Crazy when you think his pro career started in 2001

Here is a pic from 10 years ago

UFC50Event019.jpg

That was a middleweight fight directly after moving up from welterweight to be fair against Tanner. Not really a fair comparison. Clearly he's going to be a bit softer.

Anyone know the info on that escape? BJJ? sambo? seems really slick and really makes someone wonder about open vs closed guard

Anyone know the info on that escape? BJJ? sambo? seems really slick and really makes someone wonder about open vs closed guard

It's closely related to the farmaconda and is derived from the art of "behindthebarnpounding."

im afraid that move is way too dangerous for his knee

oh well, prob wont do it too often

lebron james would have ktfo'd both of them at the same time

driving off the leg opposite the grounded hip while spinning.very slick.

Ellenberger had Lawler's back with an arm trapped (if it was BJ, it would have been RNC finish), but Lawler easily and calmly got out of that bad position like he's practiced that a million times. I've never seen anyone do the ground escapes he did... not even decorated BJJ blackbelts.

Nate Diaz does a similar escape all the time except he turns back towards the legs instead of rolling towards the head. Lawler could've gotten side control if he had done it that way, going the other way gave Ellenberger the underhook which let him get back to his feet. It's actually a fairly common reversal, guys just don't hit it very often in MMA.

You say Ellenberger had the arm trapped and then mention BJ, that situation was nothing like when BJ traps the arm with his leg to set up the RNC from back mount. The key in that gif is when Lawler steps on Ellenberger's right foot with his left foot while scooting his hips over Ellenberger's right leg, there's no RNC there when you do it correctly and turn back into the legs. I think Ellenberger was just mentally broken by that point though and Lawler was enjoying himself doing what he wanted to, he didn't need to go by the book anymore and could just fuck around a bit.

The more I watch Lawler since he's come back, the more I like the guy. I was a fan of his before, but he really seems to be putting all his talent together now. I like watching him on the ground, it is almost as if Robbie gives people advantageous positions because he knows he's going to escape, kind of like he likes giving guys a false sense of confidence and then he exploits it. Seems to be toying with guys a lot too, but he's not being careless a la Anderson Silva, still keeps himself. His confidence in the cage really shows.

Lawler is THE comeback story as far as I'm concerned. Even more so than Randy.

I know he's laughing the whole time, but from that gif it looks like he leaves his arm there, waits for Jake to try trapping it with his leg and then starts laughing while thinking "Haha you idiot, that's exactly what I wanted you to do. I'm just gonna turn over and escape this now, you fool".

Robbie Lawler is one bad SOB.

How the hell is Lawler still 170 pounds and looks all jacked like that. He looks like a twig in this, and he's still 170 pounds? Here's Nick Diaz knocking this guy out with 1 punch and he's NEVER knocked anyone else out before.. What does that say about his chin?

diazlawler.gif

How the hell is Lawler still 170 pounds and looks all jacked like that. He looks like a twig in this, and he's still 170 pounds? Here's Nick Diaz knocking this guy out with 1 punch and he's NEVER knocked anyone else out before.. What does that say about his chin?

diazlawler.gif

He probably dehydrates himself more to make 170.

As for his chin, his chin is generally very good. He's taken some big shots, he shakes them off very well. He was moving towards the punch and it was perfectly landed on the button, he moves his head better and rolls with punches now which helps. You also have to factor in that he was training at the Miletich camp back then, probably taking all kinds of beatings from the animals that were there back then. Getting KOd or rocked numerous times leading up to a fight will diminish your ability to take a punch in the fight, Robbie says he doesn't even spar now.

Back