GIF of B.J. Penn’s ridiculous takedown defense

So is the level of teaching, training, support and training partners a fighter has (aside from Plats and Cucuy who use a pole and a horse; start of good gym/joke).

BJ would be 1000x better. A V.2 Prime SubMarinovich Motivated Model goes over vs Cormier.
Unprovable counterfactual

He won the first fight Frankie, fuck that shit

I still can't believe that Penn fought guys like machida, Rory, Nick Diaz, yet it was 145lb Edgar who finished Penn.

Unprovable counterfactual

53544a9d27cd90d14c5c1d91011a41d4.jpg
<Gordonhat>

Would heelhook Werdum, RNC Hunt, and lick the blood off of a KO'd Stipe.

There was no divisions under 155 during his prime. He could have held 3 belts at once if current divisions existed during his prime.
He lacked some type of guidance. If he had stuck to fighting dudes his own size, we wouldn’t even be talking about his drive and motivation, because he would’ve just continued to dominate every lightweight at that time. Instead, he wasted time taking fights against Renzo, Rodrigo, Machida, GSP 2x, Hughes 3x, Nick, Fitch, Rory. Noobs talk shit about his record, but this mf’er was out there fighting Machida! To me, he will forever be the most badass fighter with the biggest set of balls.

BJ Penn (along with Genki Sudo) is the reason I got into MMA and started BJJ.

I use that jailbreak escape from side control all the time and I learned it from that GSP fight.

Marinovich Penn was a sight to see. Fuck I wished he stayed with them.
Marinovich Penn was no different then LW Penn. Penn looked just as good against Sherk, Stevenson and Pulver as he did under the Marinovich bros

Marinovich Penn was no different then LW Penn. Penn looked just as good against Sherk, Stevenson and Pulver as he did under the Marinovich bros

Both were impressive, but his cardio was clearly better with the Marinovich brothers, and overall a better fighter. This is 'sky is blue' shit.

sUGVr0K.gif

B.J. Penn was just a naturally gifted freak, his balance and flexibility were ridiculous.

jailbreak.gif

Amazing-BJ-Penn-Pool-Jump-GIF.gif

Legendary
jzhffb.gif
Key word here, "was". At this point your average sherdogger could take him down.

I still can't believe that Penn fought guys like machida, Rory, Nick Diaz, yet it was 145lb Edgar who finished Penn.

Cumulative damage.

Keep in mind a 145lbs Yair put him away in his next appearance. After the third Edgar fight, Penn said right in his interview "I had no business being in the ring tonight."

When Penn was in his prime, they had a pretty much dead even fight that was a controversial decision.

Edgar himself was fighting much bigger guys at lightweight and not getting put away, but we just saw him get nearly murdered to sleep by a featherweight. If you hang around long enough it happens to everyone.

Back